Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Rune Age» Forums » General

Subject: Solo review? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Hello,

Looking for any comments specifically regarding solo play. I understand two
Of the four scenarios can be played solo. I love Runebound and I was
looking for something in the same genre. I realize it is different from
Runebound but the same type of setting.

Also I enjoy a tough challenge that has high replay ability.

Thanks
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The two solo scenarios play very well. The Cataclysm scenario is, for our family, much more interesting than the Dragonlords scenario, so we really only play that one. The theme is great for Runebound players; my son likes to comment now when we play Runebound about how that card was such-and-such in Rune Age.

Rune Age so far is the only solo game that my 8yo son has ever played solo, so that is a high recommendation. With 4 factions, you can get quite a lot of play time out of it.

Having said that, you'd be missing out on 2 of the 4 scenarios, and co-op play and PvP aspects. It would be quite an omission, and you'd be missing out an very large parts of the game. I don't know if solo play alone would justify having the game in your library.

With Runebound, I don't feel you're missing large parts of the game playing solo - no one really likes PvP in that game, and lots of it is multi-player solitaire as it is, so you get the full experience.

So, net all that, it would be a tough call. Hopefully you can find someone to play with occasionally and that would make it an easy call!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found both the solo scenarios pretty easy and of rather limited replayability. Although they were useful in learning the basics of the game. Some factions are harder to win solo, ie. Elves, than others but that's about the limit of the challenge. Tinkering with the mercs could make the solo play more difficult but the solitaire gameplay decisions would pretty much remain the same.

In solo play your are basically using your faction alone to defeat a event deck before the events defeat you. In Rune Age all of your faction cards are always available for purchase. The cards available remain the same between games but as an alternative the available neutral mercenaries could be changed from the standard setup.

The background/theme/aesthetics of the game has more in common with Runewars than Runebound (Second Edition). There is a demon corrupted humanoid faction and a Undead Faction along with Orcs, Humans, Elves, and Dwarves. The artwork is similar to that in Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

Rune Age really shines as a multi-player game and scales well from two to four players. While it is a deck-building game don't expect it to be like Dominion . It requires a very different mindset. I found Rune Age a worthwhile purchase and a lot of fun. If you decide to buy the game I strongly suggest buying the expansion at the same time.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The two soloable scenarios are "Rise of the Dragonlords" and "the Cataclysm".

While Dragonlords can be, technically, played solo, it is really a multiplayer scenario: the interesting part are the other players.
The scenario throws at the players events that can (moderately) hamper them.
Playing solo, after a while, it becomes a sort of "training mode". It does not require a huge amount of thought to win.

The Cataclysm is a co-op scenario.
This is better suited to be played solo, and it is quite hard.
Still, after you know the event deck well, I think there is not a lot to keep the game interesting.
I like coordinating with the other players most, in this scenario.
It is enjoyable, but in my opinion it is one the weakest parts of the game.
Still, it is an awesome game.


Two words about the expansion, Rune Age: Oath and Anvil.
It adds two factions (Orcs and Dwarfs), and a couple new cards to every other faction.

Talking about solo play, it adds two things:
- a co-op variant for Dragonlords
- two new event cards for each scenario, including Dragonlords and Cataclysm

The reason why I play the game solo so much lately, are those two cards. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Still, I think those open the game up. Maybe others can share their impressions on this?

Also, I like very much the Co-op Dragonlords.

Lately I began to play those two scenarios using two factions, but for a shorter game I would be happy to play just one.

However, please keep in mind that
- I am a huge fan of this little gem, and
- even if I am not too much biased, for game + expansion we are talking 50 euros here.
Is it worth it for a solo game?

I love Rune Age and I believe the co-op and solo options are pretty decent, to say the least, even with just the basic game.
Actually I am quite impressed with what they did with this simple engine/system.

If you don't mind, why did the game catch your attention? Maybe I could answer more to the point.

EDIT: corrected link to expansion
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great solo/coop game and the game would, I think, be worth buying only for the Cataclysm scenario. I have, however, the one time I played the Rune Wars scenario was an absolute blast so if you have the opportunity to play it multiplayer you should.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:
I found both the solo scenarios pretty easy and of rather limited replayability. Although they were useful in learning the basics of the game. Some factions are harder to win solo, ie. Elves, than others but that's about the limit of the challenge. Tinkering with the mercs could make the solo play more difficult but the solitaire gameplay decisions would pretty much remain the same.

In solo play your are basically using your faction alone to defeat a event deck before the events defeat you. In Rune Age all of your faction cards are always available for purchase. The cards available remain the same between games but as an alternative the available neutral mercenaries could be changed from the standard setup.

The background/theme/aesthetics of the game has more in common with Runewars than Runebound (Second Edition). There is a demon corrupted humanoid faction and a Undead Faction along with Orcs, Humans, Elves, and Dwarves. The artwork is similar to that in Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

Rune Age really shines as a multi-player game and scales well from two to four players. While it is a deck-building game don't expect it to be like Dominion . It requires a very different mindset. I found Rune Age a worthwhile purchase and a lot of fun. If you decide to buy the game I strongly suggest buying the expansion at the same time.


Do you think Cataclysm is easy? A friend of mine thought so and after playing together he realized he was playing it wrong (using the dice after resolutions, not before) and Cataclysm became much harder.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the input. It is much appreciated. As far as why this game caught my attention, there are a few reasons:

I am looking for a primarily solo with some co-op elements
I am a big fan of Fantasy Flight games particularly Runebound
I love the setting with different factions
Lastly, I read that this game is somewhat different than your traditional deck building game
Again, I enjoy a challenge.

I was thinking about Thunderstone as well.

Ed
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Then go for RA and its expansion, you shouldn't be disappointed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
People here said enough about what the game and its expansion are.

I can only say this:

GET IT!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed M

Drums
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Agreed. Bought it today on Ebay for $20. I will play it next week and post my thoughts here on the geek.

Thanks everyone!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you will like it - get the expansion ASAP then, too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good game but even with the expansion I prefer thunderstone advance for solo play.

Almost every card from Rune Age doesn't have especial effects for solo porpouse.
It's a much better multiplayer than solo. That way, you can get the true potential of the cards and the game.
I wish this game have some pure solo cards in the future but I don't think it will be done.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
topera wrote:
It's a good game but even with the expansion I prefer thunderstone advance for solo play.

Almost every card from Rune Age doesn't have especial effects for solo porpouse.
It's a much better multiplayer than solo. That way, you can get the true potential of the cards and the game.
I wish this game have some pure solo cards in the future but I don't think it will be done.


I feel the same way. The solo play is fine, but never really feels like I'm "playing" the way some other solo games do. I finally stopped pulling this one out of the closet for solo play and always go for Ascension: Deckbuilding Game for shorter solo games and Thunderstone for longer ones.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this as a solo game. I had Lord of the Rings the Card Game and Rune Age, and found I pulled this one out for solo more often than LotR. Part of that was setup and play time. Rune Age is shorter on both counts so if I lose, I can fit another game in and try to win.

For some people, shorter games are a bad thing, but for me it's really nice. I mean, long games are great too, but Rune Age works really well as a shorter game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Friday for a solo deck builder. It is the only deck builder specifically designed for solo play. It's cheap, and I turn to it more often for solo play than Thunderstone + expansions, or Legendary + expansions, both of which were very expensive. Friday costs about 15 bucks. It's a brilliant design. Can't go wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
I highly recommend Friday for a solo deck builder. It is the only deck builder specifically designed for solo play. It's cheap, and I turn to it more often for solo play than Thunderstone + expansions, or Legendary + expansions, both of which were very expensive. Friday costs about 15 bucks. It's a brilliant design. Can't go wrong.


I bought Friday because of recommendations like this. While it is a good game, I still find myself turning to Ascension/Star Realms for solo games because they play so fluidly. That shouldn't stop anyone from trying Friday, but it does have more moving pieces to manage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.