Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

12 Realms» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is it just me or is solo cherry blossom impossible with D'Artagnan? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McMillan
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my very first game of 12 Realms, so I suppose I could just be making a rokie error, but I dont think that I am. Here is my dilemma:

1. You cannot buy a town card without paying the requisite amount of gold
2. You cannot earn gold without collecting treasure
3. You cannot collect treasure without exploiting the talent shown on the treasure token
4. All of cherry blossom's treasures and 2 of its artefacts require you to exploit 1 craft to collect them
5. D'Artagnan does not possess a craft talent nor does he posses a gold talent
6. The only way to get talents that your character does not. possess is to purchase town cards
7. Since D'Artagnan does not have any access to gold and since none of the invaders in cherry blossom award gold, he can never purchase town cards and, threrefore, he can never collect the artefacts and, therefore, cannot ever confront the dark lord and will lose every single time

Am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAGE Company
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or he can travel for example to Fairy Forest and win Invaders who give Gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eaton-Salners
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question assumes there are no other realms in play since it is a one-realm solo game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAGE Company
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go with that, then yes he cannot. I see no point of course since you have 8 heroes and 4 realms, you have plenty choices. I don't understand why you must do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMillan
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exa1zar2ius3 wrote:
If you go with that, then yes he cannot. I see no point of course since you have 8 heroes and 4 realms, you have plenty choices. I don't understand why you must do that.

I just randomly selected a hero from all of the available options and used cherry blossom since that is the one that is shown on the chart for a single player game. When I found myself in an impossible situation during my very first game ever, I found that kind of worrisome and thought that it bore some mention.

Please do not get upset with me for following the rules as they have been written. I would appreciate it if you could provide me some kind of solution to this problem without telling me to just use someone different or use a different realm. As a game designer, these kinds of problems should be the kinds of things that you want to be made aware of. I am going to give this setup another try, but this time I am going to start out with a single gold to spend and see if that makes any difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAGE Company
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not get upset, do not misunderstand me, please
We kept the most heroes as they were from the PnP version, as the designer had designed them. We never saw it as a problem or so really, the fact of a limitation in the game. I'm really happy to answer any kind of question you may have. In fact many people helped us here to create the FAQ for the game and resolve any issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMillan
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting off with 1 gold seems to have done the trick. I have managed to work my way up to 5 gold now. However, I have another question. The rule book does not say when the invasion marker moves. Does it keep track of how many invaders there currently are? If I defeat an invader, does it move down? How does the invasion marker work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAGE Company
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is written: when the round ends, you count the Invaders of a realm and the marker goes up (for each Invader you count 1). There is no such mention as that the marker goes down in any case or rule except if you buy a specific town card.

Page 5 / Paragraph 1 / Invasion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMillan
United States
Madison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes. I see that now. I am defeating invaders very easily now and I can see that I am going to just have to let them stack up if I ever want to see the dark lord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
exa1zar2ius3 wrote:
you have 8 heroes and 4 realms, you have plenty choices.

True enough. I sat down the other day and compared character talents against the realms and their Invaders. It actually worked out pretty evenly - there is one "great" choice for each realm, and one "so-so" choice, which lets you either hammer the game with the greats, or take a bigger challenge with the mediums.....or make it hellishly difficult by taking the "wrong" choices for each Realm.

In many ways, its fun to work it out for yourself - but playing with a 6 and 10 year old, I wanted to make sure that they didn't accidentally start themselves in a Cherry Blossom/D'Artagnan situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAGE Company
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in that case you have a point. I'm glad to see that you explore the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least in the set up you're told to choose the realm before choosing a hero. So you COULD chalk this up to getting to know the game and getting better at the game.

I still think it's a mistake to let un-winnable scenarios exist as written, especially for what could have been such a beginner friendly game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.