United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
or knows gamers. On this week's episode (SPOILER!) Ben Wyatt is fired from his job and in his spare time designs this ridiculous (but oddly compelling) board game.

Here's Ben's description of the game:

BEN: "Presenting… The Cones of Dunshire, a brand new gaming experience. 8-12 players, two wizards, a maverick, the arbiter, two warriors, a corporal, and a ledgerman. Now the ledgerman just keeps score. And he wears this hat."

LESLIE: "Oh boy."

BEN: "Now the object is to accumulate cones. Four cones wins, but in order to get a cone you have to build a civilization. Another amazing thing is the challenge play… actually, let me tell you more about the trivia cards because you're going to need to know about road blocks first. Well, never mind, the thing about the challenge play is that it's basically the game... in reverse!"

(later)

BEN: "Then you roll three dice to see how many dice you roll with. (rolls) Oh, 16, perfect! Lots of choices…"

(later)

BEN: "OK, each turn goes: roll, buy, action, …"

(later)

BEN (holding up a cone): "I mean, obviously this would be much taller in the real game…"

(later)

BEN: "But the corporal can veto…"

(later)

BEN: "This should be green too. How did this happen?"

(later)

BEN: "Are the cones a metaphor? Well, yes and no."

LESLIE: "Um, what is this called again?"

BEN: "The Cones of Dunshire. Oh my God, the maverick should be able to trade lumber for agriculture credits. How have I not thought of this before?"

LESLIE: "When do you go back to work again?"

BEN: "Tomorrow. It's fine, I'll just throw this in the garbage."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw c'mon, man, you should have said, "Spoilers"! I haven't seen those episodes yet!!! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
Aw c'mon, man, you should have said, "Spoilers"! I haven't seen those episodes yet!!! cry

Oh, sorry! I'm assuming you meant Ben's job change, and not the board game? I added a spoiler warning, though it's a very minor plot point. I guess I didn't even think a sitcom could have spoilers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While that part of the episode was playing out, my girlfriend turned her head towards me and gave me The Look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
While that part of the episode was playing out, my girlfriend turned her head towards me and gave me The Look.

+1

Also, not all has been spoiled in this joke... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
colmustard21 wrote:

Oh, sorry! I'm assuming you meant Ben's job change, and not the board game? I added a spoiler warning, though it's a very minor plot point. I guess I didn't even think a sitcom could have spoilers!

Haha! Yeah, I'm just kidding. I'm going to watch the new episode/s later today, so no worries on the spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Schlosser
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayfair Games announced on their twitter that they were involved:

"Mayfair Games is proud to have had a part in tonight’s new episode of Parks and Recreation, EP 609 "The Cones of... http://fb.me/SyvAB3w2"

- Nov 21st
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
KICKSTARTER SOON !!!!!
badge
#NBS#
mbmbmbmbmb
There was also this a couple of episodes back:

BOOYAH !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall H
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Kickstarted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you pause at the right spot they have some of the printed rulebook displayed. Someone was kind enough to type them up:

---

CONES OF DUNSHIRE
Rules of Play
8 to 12 players

OBJECT
To acquire cones via trade, purchase, advancement, and scavenging. First player with four cones wins.

PLAYERS
2 Wizards, 1 Maverick, 1 Arbiter, 1 Ledgerman, 0-1 Corporal, 1-2 Warriors
Gameplay with two Warriors is highly recommended for optimal conditions. Play as Maverick should be reserved for more experienced players. The Ledgerman must wear his hat at all times; negligence or refusal to do so is punishable by loss of turn.

GAME COMPONENTS
34 terrain bases
31 Cones of Dunshire
15 Sub-cones (Cones of Brenwmooor[?])
40 Spirit Cards (30 Positive, 10 Negative, 10 Chaotic)
60 Agriculture Cards (25 Harvest, 30 Irrigation, 5 Famine)
300 Armies divided as such among the players
Wizards 50
Mavericks 25
Arbiters 25
Corporals 100
Warriors 25
36 dice (12 small dice, 12 large dice, 12 special dice)
1 Dragon
20 Soldiers of Fortune †
35 Nautical Vessels (20 Schooners, 15 Submarines) †
12 Clerical Cards †
12 Climate Cards †
40 Expansion Heroes[?/Hexes/Horses] †
† EXPANSION PACK ONLY

TURN OVERVIEW
Each turn is comprised of seven components.

1 - Roll
Each roll behins with a pre-roll to determine how many dice are used for each roll. Select 3 small dice and 1 large di for pre-roll; roll these 4 dice onto the game board. The Pre-Roll Sum ("P-RS") of the pips represents the number of dice to be used for Player's Roll. Player then chooses P-RS number of dice for his roll, with no more than ten (10) small dice and no more than six (6) special dice to be used at any time. The Roll Sum ("RS") of pips represents the player's currency moving forward for the current turn.

2 - Buy
Player now has RS currency with which to purchase resources. Mavericks and Corporals may choose to play Resource Doublers at this time, in which case they begin with RSx2 (Resource Doubling is not permitted at any point in Challenge Mode OR after Wizard induces Cathartic Freeze.) Player must announce his intention to buy before each turn begins. All purchasing must be made in exchange with the Ledgerman. Any remaining resources after purchase may be either (a) left unused by player or (b) transferred to Arbiter at a rate of three (3) resource in exchange for one (1) Agriculture Card (excluding Famine Cards).
A player may ONLY purchase a cone if his armies are advanced beyond The Front of Traganaro[?]. The only exception is, of course, the Maverick, who may purchase cones regardless of position of armies IF AND ONLY IF he has induced Paramilitary Disruption.

3 - Actions
Player may now choose to play and Action Cards (Agriculture or Spirit). If Wizard currently posesses power of sorcery, he may deny player from playing any action cards ONLY IF all players have acquired their third sub-cone (i.e. all players have completed First Stage of Civilization).

4 - Option to Scavenge
All players - excluding Second Warrior - may choose to scavenge on any farm, regardless of the number of cones or sub-cones they currently have. See chard on p. 6 for Expected Rates of Casualty for each possible scavenge combination.

5 - Build
Players who wish to build may do so only after those who have been Scavenged have replaced or retreated their armies. If player has denied option to scavenge, only the Corporal may retreat armies. Player shall roll P-RS number of dice to determine his Building Multiplier. Player must build in the following order:

Barracks
Houses
Forts and/or Bunkers
Industrial Corridor
Commercial Corridor
Transportation Hubs

6 - Second Buy
Players choosing to buy a second round of resources can only use (a) unused currency from first buy or (b) any currency donated[?] or traded by Arbiter in exchange for Spirit or Agriculture Cards.

7 - Advance
Player advances his Main Avatar by RS/2 (Roll Sum divided by two, rounded down) bases, and may choose to advance armies by RS + bases (rounded up). Player condludes his turn by passing dice to the player seated to his left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Give us lettuce or give us death (or carrots).
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
If you pause at the right spot they have some of the printed rulebook displayed. Someone was kind enough to type them up:

Whaaaa? I can't believe that you took the time to read the whole thing in tiny print.

props to you, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:

That was amazing. GeekGold for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and the best part...there is already mention of an expansion pack shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Ledgerman must wear his hat at all times; negligence or refusal to do so is punishable by loss of turn."

If all the ledgerman does is keep score how does he lose a turn? I was thinking about kickstarting this but not after reading the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
dugman wrote:

That was amazing. GeekGold for you.

Thanks, I can't take credit though. Someone else typed it up, I just found the typed version on Google. So give that guy props, not me! All I did was squint at the screen, see that it was legible, and googled figuring someone else beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the clerics in submarines will be an interesting counterbalance to the wizard's Cathartic Freeze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Schwartz
United States
Sturgis
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
or knows gamers. On this week's episode (SPOILER!) Ben Wyatt is fired from his job and in his spare time designs this ridiculous (but oddly compelling) board game.

Saw the tale end of this episode live, cracked me up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stout
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has Cones of Dunshire been added to the database?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
johnostout wrote:
Has Cones of Dunshire been added to the database?

I don't know. It looks a bit like this one, doesn't it?

Poisson d'Avril
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Aichele
United States
Zanesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
I think the clerics in submarines will be an interesting counterbalance to the wizard's Cathartic Freeze.

I agree...although being able to optimize the building of your Industrial Corridors after your farms are Scavenged just might be the key to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Edwards
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had that shirt! Love Letters to Cleo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.