Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You Guys Kill Me

Theme
You have been kidnapped by evil clowns, who are forcing you to attempt dangerous circus acts for their own amusement. If you complete each act, you will get a chance to escape. If you fail at any act, you lose.

Overview
Each act is a different dice-based minigame. There will be a mixture of rolling-certain-values type games, plus dexterity challanges. I'm thinking that each game gives you a certain number of dice, but you can add more to make it easier, at the cost of making it harder to escape at the end, or just scoring fewer points.

Acts
Plenty of scope:
Lion-taming
Juggling (with fire)
Tightrope
Trapeze
Human cannonball
Sword-swallowing
Knife-throwing
etc.

Other notes
My initial idea is for a solitaire game (my thoughts have been running that way since this year's contest has just finished. I was half-tempted to save this up until next year, but it's too long to wait, and I'm sure I'll come up with something else by then). But because each "act" would be a short minigame, it could easily be scaled up. Maybe with more players, instead of being eliminated if you fail at an act, you lose points or suffer a handicap for the next act or for the final escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1100/1360
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mb
sounds fun. A game like that would lend itself to point scoring and therefore winning/losing or just beating a previous score. Perhaps certain scores or failures equal your death and therefore elimination in multiplayer or just plain losing at solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the theme and such an interesting premise.

Not sure how you'll incorporate the dexterity aspect, but have you thought about a risk management aspect like adding cubes or tokens to a bag and drawing for degrees of difficulty? The more tokens you put in the bag, the greater the chance you can draw tokens to help you succeed, but the bag also contains added "dangers", which increases the risk?

Just throwing ideas around too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys.

That's an interesting thought about drawing from a bag, because I was thinking of having base dice of one colour, plus optional added dice of another colour, so there's already a way of selecting, without adding additional materials (well, a bag, obviously). Drawing a white die = good, drawing a black die = bad, something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to have a look to Epic Funhouse that uses the same kind of idea (I don't mean you should not do it, of course !!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
Be sure to have a look to Epic Funhouse that uses the same kind of idea (I don't mean you should not do it, of course !!).

Thanks for that. Hopefully this will be sufficiently different. I've only had a quick glance through the rules of Epic Funhouse so far (will read through properly this evening), but I think that none of the minigames will share the exact theme or have a similar mechanic, this being more of an action-focused game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my first idea for a minigame - Knife Throwing.

You have to drop dice onto the target area. If a die touches any part of the body, you lose. Otherwise, if a die touches the appropriate red zone, you had a successful throw. Get 5 successful throws to complete the game. A die that misses everything is okay, but you will have to take one of the "extra" dice with the associated penalty (whatever that will be).

I was experimenting with dropping the dice last night. It seemed that dropping from the height of one die (i.e. you could slide another die underneath the one you are dropping) meant that sometimes the die would "stick" where you dropped it, sometimes it would move a little, and sometimes it would move quite a bit.

This is just a first guess at a diagram that I knocked up in 10 minutes and haven't yet tested, but it incorporates 3 skill levels:

Daredevil - hit the inner red zone only
Normal - hit either of the inner 2 red zones
Scaredy-cat - hit any of the 3 red zones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guyver FeroZ
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They can "game" this mini by aiming for the left and right inner red zones they are way too big to be in the difficult category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
guyveroz wrote:
They can "game" this mini by aiming for the left and right inner red zones they are way too big to be in the difficult category.

You're right, thanks.

I will certainly adjust the zones if I get to the point of considering that I have a viable game.

Meanwhile, allow me to praise Epic Funhouse. If entertaining puzzling is what you're after, I point you in that direction. I am probably not going to be offering anything more cerebral than estimation of odds for the purposes of pushing your luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Huggable.

Lion Taming

Concept only - all dimensions will be subject to playtesting and artwork will be subject to, err, actually becoming artwork.

Place one die behind the line. Roll the remaining dice, adding extras if you wish. Extras may be added before any roll, and will remain in play for any further rolls in this minigame. Place two dice on the appropriate "lion" spaces, depending on the difference between the highest and lowest value rolled. (If the highest and lowest were identical, place the right-hand die on the "0" position, if you rolled at least one "1" and at least one "6", place the right-hand die on the "5" position).

Now, flick the die from behind the line so that it passes between the two lion dice, without touching them. If you failed, you lose. If you succeeded, remove one die and repeat. Succeed 4 times, removing a die before the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rolls, in order to complete the "act" successfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
... and the left lion die could also be made adjustable to allow for easy/medium/hard skill levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trapeze

Here's a non-dexterity round.

You may add extra dice before any roll. Added dice remain in play for any other rolls until the end of the round. As before, adding dice will make this round easier, but will result in a future (as yet unspecified) penalty.

Roll all available dice. Place a low-valued die in the first (top-left) box. Re-roll all remaining dice. Place any die which exceeds the previously rolled die in the next box (following the dotted line). Repeat, rolling lower, higher, lower, higher, with progressively fewer dice.

Finally, you must perform a "trick". Retain as many of the previously set aside dice as you wish and reroll the remainder (plus extras) once only. To succeed you require:

Easy - 3 of a kind / straight of length 3
Mediumn - 4 of a kind / straight of length 4
Hard - 5 of a kind / straight of length 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.