4 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: [DECK] Baseline HB post-Second Thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. Fetterkey
msg tools
mb
This is a deck that I recently won a store tournament with. Someone asked me to see the deck after the event but we didn't have time, so I'm posting it here. I also think this deck is fairly representative of what "standard play" from HB:EtF looks like post-Second Thoughts.

Identity: Haas-Bioroid, Engineering the Future

Agenda (11)
3x Accelerated Beta Test (Core Set)
3x Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus)
1x Director Haas' Pet Project (Creation and Control)
3x Efficiency Committee (Creation and Control)
1x Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control)

Asset (6)
3x Adonis Campaign (Core Set)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) • • •

Upgrade (4)
1x Corporate Troubleshooter (Core Set)
3x SanSan City Grid (Core Set) ••• ••• •••

Operation (10)
2x Biotic Labor (Core Set)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Green Level Clearance (A Study in Static)
2x Shipment from SanSan (Second Thoughts) • •

Barrier (7)
1x Ice Wall (Core Set) •
3x Wall of Static (Core Set)
2x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)
1x Wotan (Second Thoughts)

Code Gate (5)
2x Enigma (Core Set)
3x NEXT Bronze (Opening Moves)

Sentry (6)
3x Rototurret (Core Set)
3x Grim (Opening Moves)

The game plan for this deck should be really obvious-- fast advance and win. It doesn't really have anything tricky, except against those people who haven't realized that Grim is good yet. The 1x Wotan can also be a surprise, especially against runners who don't use Femme Fatale. Note that the 2x Biotic Labor was actually a mistake originally, but I have yet to find myself wanting for fast advance with 3 SanSan, 2 Biotic Labor, 2 Shipment from SanSan, and 3 Jackson Howard plus Director Haas' Pet Project to recur fast advance pieces.

Wotan is far from firmly placed in this deck, but I like him as the ultimate late-game defense ICE. He is quite vulnerable to Femme, though, so if that's common in your area I'd get rid of him or add Chum, but I'm far from confident in that decision given how tight this type of deck tends to be on influence.

One card that I would love to run is Successful Demonstration. This card is remarkable in that it actually gets better against skilled opponents! The problem I have with it is that it is conditional and best in the early game, and Green Level Clearance both provides a more reliable (though much less impressive) money grab and accelerates your draw, which a deck like this one loves to see. That said, I think it's quite possible that Successful Demonstration will ultimately find its way into this list.

The other thing to note is that reliable sources tell me that Profiteering is strong in this archetype, but I haven't tested it myself yet. I anticipate doing that soon, and in that deck I'll probably add another Biotic Labor to make up for the loss of Haas' Pet Project (which usually means "recur a SanSan." I also might add more Troubleshooters, though it's really a tossup between Troubleshooter and Aggressive Secretary for the "program-trashing slot." I lean towards Troubleshooter at present because I tend not to advance agendas very much at all, Efficiency Committee in early game aside, so Aggressive Secretary becomes somewhat unreliable.

Shipment from SanSan is a solid boost IMO, as it provides the cheapest fast advance option in the game, allowing you to actually score a 3-difficulty agenda from hand for net 0 creds and one Efficiency Committee counter. If you don't have Efficiency Committee scored, you can either save Shipment or just use it as a decent money card. It also allows you to score agendas in SanSan from 0 credits, which is often a nasty surprise but IMO more relevant in NBN fast-advance than in HB.

But yeah, that's the deck. Nothing too fancy, but it works pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried running Chimera instead of Enigma? Yog.0 is pretty common, so three dedicated code gates has always been enough for me, and Chimera has a lot of tricks (like eating Faerie and is really effective at stopping event runs). Of course it has a lot of weaknesses, but with Runners generally returning to traditional breakers, I think Chimera has come again.

AggSec actually has another use, which is protecting SanSan. You can put it on top of it, and EVEN IF THEY KNOW, the runner has to pay dearly to trash SanSan since you have to access everything or nothing. Maybe not as good with this deck not having 3s, and Clone Chip being A Thing, but it can effectively double the uses in a SanSan if they can't afford to run it.

And yes, Profiteering is nuts. I would swap 2 in as you described, and drop the Wotan for Eli, and maybe that 1 Troubleshooter for the third Labor. But this is just an outsider's advice, I'm not the type to play a lot of factions, so take it with a grain of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Nelson
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I replaced the DHPP and the Gila with two profiteering, wasn't able to score them yesterday sadly. There were situations where they seemed pretty sexy though. Going to put DHPP back in and just test 1 Profiteering for now.

I've had success with a single Viktor 2.0 lately, as it dunks Yog.0 pretty hard and usually means they have to pay to break the Eli behind it on R&D. I tested a single Heimdall 1.0 and Tollbooth (after the Worlds 1st place list) and they did nothing. Tollbooth I'd love to be able to keep but the influence is precious. Heimdall seemed awful, I would like to hear what the reasoning behind it was from Jens. The runner can take 3 or even 4 or (gods forbid) 5 brain damage against this deck and not be in danger of losing the game from damage, so Heimdall just seems like a really expensive Eli. Heimdall 2.0 might be better but effectively probably ends up being the same, after the first time you surprise rez it.

After playing a lot with Successful Demo I do really like it, 5 credits is a lot and this deck ends the run a lot. It did become a dead card at a certain point in the game though.

Shipment from SanSan is fantastic. Never got to combo it with Efficiency Committee, but scoring with BL for 4 credits was nuts. It lets you recover from an Account Siphon a lot faster and continue to threaten FA. Love it.

I've also found Chimera to be very useful, both (as Martin pointed out) at killing Faeries and because of Swordsman making everyone scurred to jam 3x Crypsis in their decks. Speaking of which, would love to find room for a Swordsman, but it seems awkward here since net damage is completely useless. WTB Wraparound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David L.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Interesting what you said regarding Profiteering. I had not even considered that in my HBFA as the bad pub seemed like it would just be getting the runner that much closer to getting a lock on your R&D.

Other than that: Wotan seems like it would be fun if you could ever get it rezzed but 9 times out of 10 I feel like some other Ice would be more useful. I also haven't been able to convince myself that Shipment from San San isn't "meh". I think i'd rather have a couple of pop-ups for the influence and monies.

So yeah, my post-Second Thoughts HBFA looks remarkably similar to my pre-ST HBFA.

Shango02 wrote:
Heimdall seemed awful, I would like to hear what the reasoning behind it was from Jens. The runner can take 3 or even 4 or (gods forbid) 5 brain damage against this deck and not be in danger of losing the game from damage, so Heimdall just seems like a really expensive Eli. Heimdall 2.0 might be better but effectively probably ends up being the same, after the first time you surprise rez it.

I recently added Heimdall (tried with 1.0 and 2.0, though I'm finding it difficult to get the latter rezzed) to my HBFA in an effort to make R&D runs more taxing as R&D is typically where I lose games. I don't think it's about winning the game from brain damage but rather the fact that, unless they throw down an E3 or something, that Ice is costing them quite a bit to get through. They are still going to be breaking the BD sub every time.

Shango02 wrote:
I've had success with a single Viktor 2.0 lately

Agreed. Love Vik 2.

Shango02 wrote:
After playing a lot with Successful Demo I do really like it, 5 credits is a lot and this deck ends the run a lot. It did become a dead card at a certain point in the game though.

I'll have to give this one another try. I added a couple when they came out but they kept being dead cards so I pulled them in favor of a couple of Melange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.