Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Discussion about why u love about Arkham Horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm curious to find out why are u all love to play Arkham Horror?
Is it the game mechanic itself that attract u or the story/theme behind it?

Personally I think the mechanic is interesting, and also the theme is very appealing to me.

Some of the mechanics that I found interesting is like drawing mythos, items, spells, skill checks... Although all these might not be something unique or new, but I just think overall they fit very well into the game.

Hope you guys can share about what's your thoughts on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a thematic experience and what I love is the story that unfolds.

This game can spit you up and chew you out, even when you are an expert (with expansions added).

You don't play Arkham Horror, it plays you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadrick Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Imagine the game's card without flavour texts. I mean currently the card will try to describe the situation you are in when u draw that card. What if it has been simplified and only left something like this
"Do a LORE check, if pass acquire that item, else take 1 damage"

Will it still fun to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdkingz wrote:
Imagine the game's card without flavour texts. I mean currently the card will try to describe the situation you are in when u draw that card. What if it has been simplified and only left something like this
"Do a LORE check, if pass acquire that item, else take 1 damage"

Will it still fun to play?

Not really. The actual rules and mechanics can be clunky and cumbersome to manage. I can fully understand why people do not like this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top 10 List

10. Beautiful Artwork
9. Component Quality
8. Game Mechanic
7. Fellow-Arkhamites' Discussions
6. Thematic/Well-Written Encounters
5. Investigators' Unique Abilities
4. Great Expansions
3. Solo Play
2. Cooperative Nature
1. Replay Value!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all: it's an adventure.

You really feel like you're on a mission, with plenty of choices to make. There's so much variety and randomness that the same choice today does not mean the same outcome as yesterday. But the game does not drown in it's own randomness, it's always clear what you're striving for.

When you win, you feel like you actually accomplished something, you're proud of yourself.
When you lose, you get that feeling of 'positive frustration': "Again! Rematch!"

Also: it's co-op as it should be.

Us against the game. You spend time debating the best course of action, you try to help each other through, and you're really rooting for your friend as he rolls the dice.

Other considerations:
-Beautiful art
-Cool setting
-Fun flavor texts, backgrounds etc
-Quality components
-Lots of modular expansions should you want/need them
-Playable solo
-Cool people on this forum, for discussing things, asking questions etc
(not a merit of the game per se, but this kind of thing is hard to find sometimes with other games)

I could name so many more aspects of this game I like, but others will surely mention them.
Let's just say that it's been a very long time since I not only felt like a game was "money well spent", but also saw myself constantly promoting a game to friends. Then, seeing them go even crazier about it than me..that says it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I just love the idea of exploring the board and having encounters at each location. It feels like an adventure to me. You might be fighting monsters, you might be exploring the woods, you might go into the newspaper or library to do research, or you might go insane need to go to the asylum... Anything can happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I missed playing RPGs with my friends, and "game night," but I never had the resolve to Gamemaster anything. Looking at a Lovecraft site, I saw people raving about the game, the complexity, the replay value, so I checked it out.

While I may own other designer boardgames eventually, I saw Arkham Horror as a hobby unto itself (like I needed another one, you know?) and that combined with my love of Lovecraft made me want to try it.

But I'll tell you what clinched it: the community. The huge body of people that trade shifts answering the same questions about the game, over and over again, all of them understanding that it's like that for EVERYBODY. The Julias, the Professors, the Avis, the MCCrispys, the Tibs, the Jakes, and all the others who are in it for the long haul, with the occasional break away from the game.

That same community creates content for the game. This blows me away. My artistic endeavors stop at walking and talking in front of an audience, but the detail that goes into making a full blown big box expansion for the game and how time consuming that must be isn't lost on me. And I'm inspired to do the same, if I can ever figure out Strange Eons. Eventually, I'll print out one of those big fan-created expansions, and I'm looking forward to it.

So here's my thank you to that community. Had you all been jerks, I probably would've bought Carcassone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrusherJoe wrote:
Had you all been jerks, I probably would've bought Carcassone.
You might still want to, that's a really fun game too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing good mood/period music, drinking adult beverages and introducing Arkham Horror to a group of good friends who enjoy thinking strategically, using their imaginations and working together is a gaming experience that's tough to beat. Pimping out the game with upgraded dice, miniatures, gate stands, sealed gate markers, etc. is an expensive but rewarding hobby that really helps the game come alive visually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrusherJoe wrote:
I missed playing RPGs with my friends, and "game night," but I never had the resolve to Gamemaster anything. Looking at a Lovecraft site, I saw people raving about the game, the complexity, the replay value, so I checked it out.

While I may own other designer boardgames eventually, I saw Arkham Horror as a hobby unto itself (like I needed another one, you know?) and that combined with my love of Lovecraft made me want to try it.

But I'll tell you what clinched it: the community. The huge body of people that trade shifts answering the same questions about the game, over and over again, all of them understanding that it's like that for EVERYBODY. The Julias, the Professors, the Avis, the MCCrispys, the Tibs, the Jakes, and all the others who are in it for the long haul, with the occasional break away from the game.

That same community creates content for the game. This blows me away. My artistic endeavors stop at walking and talking in front of an audience, but the detail that goes into making a full blown big box expansion for the game and how time consuming that must be isn't lost on me. And I'm inspired to do the same, if I can ever figure out Strange Eons. Eventually, I'll print out one of those big fan-created expansions, and I'm looking forward to it.

So here's my thank you to that community. Had you all been jerks, I probably would've bought Carcassone.

Dittos! I, too, hope to finish my own mini-expansion someday (a new Expedition for "The Door To Saturn" so technically it's an expansion to an expansion)

The expansions are what first hooked me- I'd never heard of a boardgame with expansions (except for things like "Squad Leader") AH is an ever-growing world of its own that you can explore countless times. I'm sure there's an online Mythos MMORPG out there somewhere but AH does it all with cards, dice, and cardboard- kind of archaic in this digital era? Well, Mr Lovecraft felt he was a throwback to an earlier time so it's appropriate...

Did I say "archaic"? I take it back cause you could never have that much gorgeous artwork in a game before this modern age. Instead of little 1/2" cardboard squares, you have huge 1.5" mini-record-sleeves! Giant Ancient One sheets in full lurid color, etc etc... Even the most mundane Items have really cool pictures. The artwork helps keep me hooked.

So does game-play. AH is like two games in one: the combat and strategy etc that takes place in the streets, and the more passive side of the Encounters. Some people don't like that passive aspect but it's at the heart of the game. It's what makes it like a cross between a game and a book. It's not all one or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.