Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just realized that tile spacers are useful for this game.

Picture for those not sure what I'm talking about:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/i...

You can place them on units to show that they've moved (though previously, I have used the 'turn to show that its moved' method, and that's fine too)

You can use them to show what units have already fired.

More to why I want to use them, is that you can also place one on units at the same time you flip them over because they got disabled. In the recovery phase of a players first turn after a unit is disabled, you remove the tile spacer. If a disabled unit has no tile spacer on it when your recovery phase comes, you know its okay for them to flip over to their 'active' side.

That of course assumes they were disabled due to fire. I'll probably just use the disabled counters to represent vehicles disabled due to terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Names and numbers.
badge
I haven't changed this in years and I don't intend to start now.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm sure that spacers work just fine, you reminded me that I have a bag of hundreds of colored glass beads that will do exactly this without me spending more money on this behemoth.

Thanks for the great idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was kind of surprised, given all the lavish detail this game got, that there are no "Newly Disabled" markers to mark which units were disabled by fire this turn and are not eligible for use for a turn.

Not a complaint as there are MANY options for marking this sitting about my game room. Just surprised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I was kind of surprised, given all the lavish detail this game got, that there are no "Newly Disabled" markers to mark which units were disabled by fire this turn and are not eligible for use for a turn.

Not a complaint as there are MANY options for marking this sitting about my game room. Just surprised.

Really, it's because it's never been a problem. The only time it matters is when a unit can become disabled on the owning player's turn (eg, moving into swamp). This is impossible in Ogre (ie, basic Ogre scenarios on the orange map with no terrain that can disable a unit). Playing G.E.V. scenarios, I don't think I've ever had enough units on the map that were disabled by terrain to have a real issue remembering which ones were disabled at what point.

You could just use the disabled counters that ARE in the game. When a unit becomes disabled, put one on top of a counter that is flipped over as disabled. During your recovery phase, remove the disabled counter if it exists, otherwise, flip the disabled counter back over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played GEV many times, and it is so rare to see a unit disabled by terrain, I've never had a problem remembering which was which.

However, those little tile spacers are likely cheap and I'll likely grab a few for my game design box.

Warm regards, Rick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Woodward
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Rick Smith wrote:
I've played GEV many times, and it is so rare to see a unit disabled by terrain, I've never had a problem remembering which was which.

Also, if you deliberately drive your GEV into a forest and it gets disabled, you probably don't need to worry about it getting un-disabled, since someone will put it out of its misery before your turn comes around again.

(There are certainly places on the map where you have the choice of going through one hex of forest, or going the long way around the forest, but GEVs are so fast that I genuinely can't find a spot where it's worthwhile to go through.)

-JW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talarius Dunedain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hellboy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
I'll probably just use the disabled counters to represent vehicles disabled due to terrain.

... or you could use the many "stuck" counters that come with the game to indicate, well, y'know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.