Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: OP 3, 4 ship build rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Sivers
England
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,
This is my first post I have a op3 event on friday, this is my list.

D 7 with gawron 16+4 = 20
Science vessal Donatra 12 + 4 = 16
IKS Ch'tang AWS Promo Khan 22+5+4 = 31

I am unsure of my 4th ship its either
Vorcha, Kolath 28 + 4 = 32
or
Kraxon Luaran EM Pulse 28 + 2 + 5-2 = 33

I am unsure what to expect from this OP, the idea for the kraxon is to absorb firepower that i think will be targeted at the Ch'tang making it more survivable.
The science vessal to Buff and drop onto the planet. (keeping it out the way)
or
The vorcha for extra firepower.

Any advise please guys, with the Kraxon its 100 pts, Vorcha makes it 99 pts

Rules are standard and you can only take a ships own faction as captains and elite upgrades and tech. only crew are interchangeable

Also might be worth loosing the captain and skills on the kraxon and put obrian on there (that repairs 2 shields) not sure on the points cost of him atm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Townsend
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
To be honest, this build seems a bit fragile.

If you use the Kraxon, expect that to be the first target. They will focus fire that thing into oblivion.

Gowron seems a waste of points if you have 1 ship out of 4 to make use of his ability. I would go NuDaq before Gowron in this build if you take the Kraxon. If you take the Vorcha, keep Gowron, but put him on the Vorcha, and put Koloth on the Ch'Tang.

The reasoning abover the Captain placement is that the Ch'Tang has 3shield/3hull. Forcing an opponent to reroll a success will possibly aid more with the weaker ship. Gowron on the Vorcha then has a bit more ability to stay alive.

Rearranging the cards you named above, I think this would make more sense...

I.K.S. Ch'tang (Klingon 22)
Koloth (Klingon 4)
Advanced Weapon System (Klingon 5)

Klingon Vor'cha (Klingon 26)
Gowron (Klingon 4)

Romulan Science Vessel (Romulan 12)
Donatra (Romulan 4)

Klingon D7 (Klingon 16)
Khan Singh (Independent 4)

Total Point Cost: 97

This leaves your 3 more points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ran the following 4 ship build with great success. Went 2-1. The only reason I lost the third is I got ahead of myself and overconfident. I made a couple of stupid errors (basically forgetting to roll the mine attacks). If I had been patient, I would have won all three rounds with the planet.

I.R.W. Valdore - 30
Toreth - 4

Romulan Science Vessel - 12
Donatra - 4
Cloaked Mines - 3

Romulan Valdore - 28
Mirok - 2

Romulan Praetus - 14
Generic Captain - 0
Cloaked Mines - 3

Total: 100

I lined up right at the front of the start zone directly in front of the planet. I lined up left to right in the order you see above. I moved just close enough to drop off troops and mines. I did 4 troops and 2 mines in the first round. At the start of the 3rd round I dropped mines on either side of the planet. Then I split my force going around either side keeping Donatra by the unique valdore for the attack bonus and the praetus by the other so Mirok could heal as needed. The mines were devastating, and my Valdores did serious damage. I easily controlled the planet because of the 4 attacks I got in the first couple of rounds.

Edit: I should say I would MOST LIKELY have one the third round. Can't say for certain, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to be a standard Klingon Hunter pack with the addition of Donatra on the Science vessel.

Usually in a 4 ship build I would say using Donatra would be a no-brainer but for some reason it seems wrong here given the stated purpose.

If it keeps close to the rest of the ships so they can benefit from Donatra's attack buff then the ship she's on needs something more to help keep her alive (interphase generator/Varel/etc) otherwise you seriously risk losing your troop deployer.

Alternatively if you try keep the science vessel near the planet dropping troops you either keep the mobility of your force and lose the buff or keep the buff and seriously hinder the mobility of your Klingons.

The second thing I would change is the inclusion of Gencon Khan. While I agree that this is the cheapest way to get a 9 skill captain on one of your ships he'll only actually be 9 skill if your opponent also has one so basically you have a 6+ captain with no skill.

What would I do instead?

Firstly since you have the Ch'Tang I assume you also have 9 Skill Martok if you do replace Khan with him for just 2 more points you get a definite 9 skill with an action that buffs in the same way Donatra would and allows you a 1 dice re-roll on the buffed ships as well.

For the troop dropper I would go with one of two options:

Either another D7 with a generic captain that you split off and hide by the planet until the troops are deployed after which you swing round and join the attack trying to approach on a flank.

Or you do the same with the IRW Praetus captained by Valdore.

Build would therefore be:

Martok (Klingon 6)

Gowron (Klingon 4)

Klingon D7 (Klingon 16)
Koloth (Independent 4)

and either -

Klingon D7 (Klingon 16)
Generic Captain (0)

or -

I.R.W. Praetus (Romulan 14)
Valdore (Romulan 3)

Total Point Cost: is 99 with D7 option or 100 with Praetus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Drazz wrote:

Rearranging the cards you named above, I think this would make more sense...

Koloth (Klingon 4)

Gowron (Klingon 4)

Romulan Science Vessel (Romulan 12)
Donatra (Romulan 4)

Klingon D7 (Klingon 16)
Khan Singh (Independent 4)

Total Point Cost: 97

This leaves your 3 more points.

I agree here, but add in the controversial cloaked mines on the RSV, or upgrade it to an Apnex. With the mines you can push your opponent to either side of the planet that you want, and you can then either secure the planet or move in a way that you use the planet to block their shots.

If you upgrade to the Apnex I've found that 1 damage is pretty handy for that ship and everything around it... I finished off an opponent before he had time to do anything about it with that ability.

Either way, good luck and let us know what you finally used!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Sivers
England
flag msg tools
Martok (Klingon 6)

Gowron (Klingon 4)

Klingon D7 (Klingon 16)
Koloth (Independent 4)

and either -

Klingon D7 (Klingon 16)
Generic Captain (0)

I think i might give this one a try. i have a bit of a grudge of getting the preatus, im normally a klingon player.

The only reason i mentioned the kraxon was because in a op2 torniment i went with the assuption to buy a preatus although they didnt have any in-stock.
Edit : - i know this bit sounds contradictory, its basically only the mine card i would want form this set.

Could it be worth getting the secondary fire card (cant remember its name)that comes with the ch'tang? and putting this on there.
with a skill 9 captain, its almost garenteed to go first with re-rolls.

Iv seen my mate use danatra n keeps his entire formation around her, i think i was trying to do a simular thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barrage of Fire is a devastating card if you set it up right, far better than advanced weapons system since if you can get to range 2 and use the Vor'cha's base 5 attack you'll be throwing 9 dice, enough to 1-shot a lot of ships if you've got a target lock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Sivers
England
flag msg tools
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
Barrage of Fire is a devastating card if you set it up right, far better than advanced weapons system since if you can get to range 2 and use the Vor'cha's base 5 attack you'll be throwing 9 dice, enough to 1-shot a lot of ships if you've got a target lock.

if im reading this ships ability correctly, you get re-rolls for attacking while cloaked anyway, so is this not a free target lock? could i still use the skill 9 martok and gawrons, to give even more attacks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Townsend
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
shivs wrote:
PenguinBonaparte wrote:

if im reading this ships ability correctly, you get re-rolls for attacking while cloaked anyway, so is this not a free target lock? could i still use the skill 9 martok and gawrons, to give even more attacks?

Correct. If you use Barrage of Fire from the Ch'Tang, Target Lock would be a waste if your firing out of cloak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shivs wrote:
PenguinBonaparte wrote:

Gawron would buff the Ch'tang, Jamie, but only that as you've gotta take thebbase value of the other ship's attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.