Subject: How do you turn 'interesting' into 'fun' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Dunaj
United States
Lambertville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I have a design that playtesters have deemed 'interesting' but not 'fun'. I'm not sure how to tell when a mechanic will be interesting and not fun because up till now I've assumed if it is interesting it will be fun.

Anyone have a rule of thumb for situations like this? How can you tell when something won't be fun, even if it is interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to me seems like the theme is engaging and worth playing...

Fun would be mechanics wise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, interesting would be more along the lines of innovative or a captivating idea. Fun would be meaningful choices and the right difficulty level and many choices to be made. Interesting means you've got a good mechanic on your hands, implementing it in a meaningful and enjoyable way is the next step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dunaj
United States
Lambertville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
@Adam

So it really depends on the surrounding mechanics, if it is determined by implementation. If I can spout off a rule, and you can think of all the depth it could potentially cause, that's interesting. But when you are interacting with it inside the game, I guess the systems are holding it back if it's not fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Dahl
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tricky one... that I feel like I've struggled a lot with in the past. As a game designer, it's tempting to focus too much on the mechanics of your games - since they are what your title implies you are responsible for. I now think it's actually much more important to focus on what the players are doing, and the experience that you are designing for them. The mechanics of your game should merely be tools that evoke specific responses from players.

I'm not sure this advice applies equally well to all kinds of games, but has been useful for me in the kinds of games I've enjoyed designing and playing. And I hope it is helpful for you. Best, Gary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dunaj
United States
Lambertville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thanks, Gary, I think you're right. I'll have to go back to the drawing board on this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Barr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Pace is a huge factor - even the most compelling game becomes a slog if it takes too long to play. Likewise, the amount of interaction it encourages.

Still very hard to judge as 99% of the fun for me comes from good company - if I'm playing with people I like, I'll even enjoy a game that's mechanically pretty vapid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, being fun tends to involve dramatic "Aha, I've done it moments" like resolving a big spell in Magic or finishing my yellow area in Castles of Burgundy.

Games that are interesting but not fun for me tend to be ones where everything is very incremental, and there are just no "wow" moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the sort of game you're talking about. If it's a Euro game the mechanics can be interesting in that there's something novel and new about them or the way they interact. But, if they don't reward the player for clever decision making they won't be that much fun. Can you set up a big turn? Can you chain actions or bonuses? Can you knock down another player while setting yourself up?

For a thematic game the mechanics or the theme might be interesting but they don't merge in a way that's fun. When mechanics evoke theme and theme inspires mechanics you've got a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Long
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many kinds of fun:
http://mike-compton.blogspot.com/2007/06/theory-of-fun-in-ga...
Hope that help,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that pace is a huge factor. In my games, I try to make the turns as short as possible to deter boredom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
South Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know in this case, but sometimes people give a noncommittal and ambiguous "interesting" as a way of sparing the designer's feelings, though in the long run they're not actually doing a favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a long response ready to post that got lost in the void during last night's maintenance.

So in a nutshell:
1) I think if your play testers consider the game interesting, you're already half-way there.
2) Fun and enjoyment are very subjective. You want to ask your testers what they consider fun. If they can't articulate why, ask them about the games they like to get an idea whether they like mechanics heavy games, auctions, light entertainment or any games with a fantasy theme.
3) For me, fun is a combination of an interesting theme combined with meaningful choices and mechanics that fit with theme (the game needs to simulate something -- the more things link, the better).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a worthwhile question, even if it is a difficult one. I don't have an easy answer, but it is still worth pursuing.

If you have an interesting mechanic, I'm sure you don't have to chuck everything. Find out exactly what players don't like about it and tweak it to eliminate that part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting could be a nice way of saying they don't like it. Not fun is what they felt when playing it. Fun is different for everyone. What is fun for one may not be for another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Long
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
Interesting could be a nice way of saying they don't like it.

Yes,sometime It's just polite. Ask playtesters what they mean "interesting" is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Prick
Netherlands
Amsterdam
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would say fun comes in different emotions (horror / comedy / action)

That means your game needs to touch on (one of) those.

I think unexpected events would also help, or just building up the tension and going for it (like a Risk battle).

If you want to know more, let me know.

Cheers!

Jules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that if something is interesting, but not fun it often coincides with how fiddly the mechanic is, Which often means streamlining is necessary. Or as others have said, it doesnt have a good wow factor. So, is there a way to makethe mechanic simpler and have more punch, without losing anything?

Another solution would be to ask the playtesters what they didn't like.people will often answer a question if asked straight forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls