Mike
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to negate the effect of those opposition cards that trigger when removed from the queue if you purchase them before they naturally run off the end of the queue? Or does that merely cause the effect to trigger earlier, at the time of purchase?

Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the card, and it is very spelled out on each card.

There are some cards whose effect begins when they go ON to the queue and you might want to purchase them to stop the bad things from continuing.

What you can do--or want to do-- about each Opposition card varies from one card to another. Depending on the circumstances, some cards may not be such a problem. For example, one of them damages your ability to "Fund Raise" but if you are currently out of Fundraising tokens and not likely to move to the next phase before the card runs out on its own, you can just blow that one off.

Where the card shows up in the queue can have a significant impact as well, and that, too, is a variable. It is a very interesting application.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Nelson
United States
Oxford
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have interpreted from the rules if the effect is when it leaves play then it still happens, so buying it only allows you to have the effect take place earlier. I lost last night thanks to the Dread Scott Card sending three slaves back to the plantation where their was no room...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BlueEdwards wrote:
From what I have interpreted from the rules if the effect is when it leaves play then it still happens, so buying it only allows you to have the effect take place earlier. I lost last night thanks to the Dread Scott Card sending three slaves back to the plantation where their was no room...

I used my Preacher special role ability to negate that card. What an awful effect!

I still lost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueEdwards wrote:

The designer never answered, but I assume that must mean Bob's answer was correct? Want to be sure since he himself admits that it's just his interpretation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
BlueEdwards wrote:

The designer never answered, but I assume that must mean Bob's answer was correct? Want to be sure since he himself admits that it's just his interpretation...

Well, since no one ever responded to this either, I guess we'll just roll with it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy, sorry. I try to keep up with the forums but I must of missed this.

Correct, buying a card earlier just triggers that card earlier... sometimes at a more opportune time. You also impact opposition cards by manipulating the queue by exchanging positions of cards or even, if timed well, avoiding them all together by returning them to the deck and then moving to the next era before the queue gets refilled at the end of the round. Remember when you move to the next era, you get rid of any undrawn cards from the era you are leaving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.