United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stalingrad solo session report Scenario 2 Shot for Shot
recreates the German 16th Panzer's drive towards the Volga. The victory conditions for the Germans require you occupy the command points and the end of the game and get as many squads as possible into the Factory.

So after turning in Round 1 I found out i've playing the Strategy Cards drawn initially wrong they are not free cards unless specified to be played in your play area as available otherwise you need command to play them.So this makes our new Supply Depot card very useful

also I managed to forget to write up the Command Phase of Round 1
so the end of round one goes as follows the Soviets has 5 command that they get to spend and the Germans also receive 5 command. Since the Soviets have initiative they spend their command first and they chose to put 2 towards initiative and hold 3 for next round,possibly buying a T-34 or a new card. The Germans decide to put 1 towards initiative and put 4 aside for the Nebelwerfer support operations card next round
so the Soviets retain initiative for the next round. Next up is the status phase which starts with new cards the Soviets go first since they have initiative and draw Turret Salvage from the Soviet Urban Warfare deck it has a red plus allowing for a second card draw from the same deck which is the Vassilli Zaitsev card . The Germans draw from the German Urban Warfare deck the FliegerKorps VIII card,a very powerful card potentially. After removing tokens the soviets decide to place their 2 Machine Gun crews in op fire, this proved to be a mistake I think. Now we can move onto round 2.

Round 2 the Anti-Aircraft Guns fire first and miss with their shots, one of the commissar stands moves into the building on 49a and fires at the German squad next to a Panzer III on 5A and pins the squad and then the Soviet Assault Engineer squad moves into the 2 hex building and and fire on the German squad with 2 elites and misses them and lastly one of the sewer squads moves deeper into the sewers
The Germans first counter moves are the following, paying the 4 command for the Nebelwerfer support and connecting with the battery the Germans target the T-34 and cause enough and it only lightly damages the T-34 and with the wide blast radius an anti-aircraft gun is destroyed and the commissar squad loses a regular infantry unit, the mortar squad fires on the Soviet squad in the open on 40A and misses lastly the medic squad on 5A moves into the 2 story building on 44A.

Next Action phase the last Soviet anti-aircraft gun fires at the undamaged Panzer III and finally lightly damages it,the T-34 fires at a near Panzer III and destroys it, big loss, and lastly the second squad in the sewers moves deeper into the sewers
The Germans respond with 2 Panzer III's combining fire at the T-34 and move the damage on it to heavy one of the squads with 2 elites fires on the Soviet assault engineer squad but the cause no losses lastly a squad moves into the 2 hex building on 43B receiving op fire from one of the soviet Machine guns squads but the squad is unaffected at reaches the safety of the building
next action phase the Soviet's last anti-aircraft gun fires at the nearest Panzer III missing it completely, on 6 dice I rolled 4 1's and two 2's, the other commissar squad which is in the factory fires at a German squad but it's fire does nothing finishing the Soviet actions for round 2
the German's finish the round with the following actions the squad that was the commissars squad returns equally ineffective fire, the Flame thrower squad moves forward and attacks the pinned soviet squad and makes in disrupted,probably a bad choice by me I should have killed figures, the last inf squad moves to take the command counter next to the factory on 49A soviet op fire misses this squad, the last Panzer III fires on the remaining anti-aircraft gun and only lightly damages it thus finishing the action phase

now we go into the command phase of round 2 the Soviets receive 4 command and the Germans receive 6 command since the Soviets have the initiative they spend their command first they use 2 to buy a T-34 reinforcement and then 4 on the Vassili Zaitsev card and 1 is sent to the initiative pool.The Germans send 2 to the initiative pool and hold 4 for the Nebelwerfer card since both now have 3 in the initiative pool the Germans gain the initiative since when tied the side that doesn't have the initiative gets the initiative. Now we move to the card draw phase the Germans now going first they draw Take Down the Beast strategy card, the Soviets draw Cut Communications which has a plus symbol on it so the next card is another Critical Objective card.

The soviets decide to leave both Machine gun squads in op fire since the Germans should have to move forward

now we can go to round 3 The Germans have initiative but they have to press the Soviets to keep the command victory points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
Nice report.

The curse of the defender. If you put your MG in op-fire mode the enemy would not move and it seems like a waste. If you don't put your MG in op-fire mode, the enemy would move like crazy and you bang your head against the wall, why didn't I put them in op-fire mode

Regarding the flamethrower: my tip: Assault!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
well i figured on rolling better with the flame thrower.
yeah op fire mode has sucked for the Soviets so far

bill jaffe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate the op fire for MGs very highly. It not only stops enemy advancing willy nilly, but you can funnel enemy assaults in the direction that suits you best.

With two in the right positions and in cover ensure you more or less control the game rather than your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.