Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert:

Outstanding design and production! Rob and I have played only BfS so far on our Turkey Day trip to WV.

We ended up with what may end up being an obvious response to a silly question, so I'll phrase the question to make it sound slightly less silly...

When you take a soul out of neutral to holy or unholy, does it start there with a value of 2 or 1? In other words, when you add +1 HP/UP to a soul, does the neutral position begin with a value of 0 or 1 that you add +1 to?

Slightly less obvious question: are you permitted to break up a 4 of a kind to make 2 pair instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Al,

You can think of neutral as "0".
When you add one point in either direction from neutral it should stay as a "1". The first point gained just pushes the die in one direction or the other. If you earned 2 points, with say 4 different colors, you would move it from neutral and set it to 2. If you played three of a kind, you would move it from neutral ad set it to 3, etc. The number represents how many points you have actually earned and every soul starts with no points in either direction.

You can play any hand you wish, but only ONE per turn.
So, if you had two pair and a Reap, you could play TWO pair, or you could play ONE pair this turn, but you would have to keep the remaining of your cards in your hand either way. You CANNOT play TWO pair and claim 2 victory points on one turn.

So if you had a full house, you could play the full house, play just three of a kind, or play just a pair. Or you don't have to even play it at all you could draw another card if you were under 8 to try and go for 4 of a kind.

Anything you DON'T play must remain in your hand.

Now a strategy tip: if you play two pair and then draw two pair again on the SAME turn, you may not play two pair again. Breaking up two pair is not the best move, unless you are going to Reap and end the game for the win. The better move is to draw one card instead of playing and play the two pair (or better if you draw well) on the next turn.

As far as playing 4 of a kind and claiming two pair instead of four of a kind. Sure, you could do that. There is nothing in the rules saying you can't.

Albatros28215 wrote:
Robert:

Outstanding design and production! Rob and I have played only BfS so far on our Turkey Day trip to WV.

We ended up with what may end up being an obvious response to a silly question, so I'll phrase the question to make it sound slightly less silly...

When you take a soul out of neutral to holy or unholy, does it start there with a value of 2 or 1? In other words, when you add +1 HP/UP to a soul, does the neutral position begin with a value of 0 or 1 that you add +1 to?

Slightly less obvious question: are you permitted to break up a 4 of a kind to make 2 pair instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert,
It is so funny you mention 'think of Neutral as 0' because when we were first learning that was one of most confusing aspects of the rules.
If (or more likely, When) you have a 2nd edition, you may want to state it that way somewhere early-on in the Rules book, so it is clear that each soul entering the game is actually at Zero (I even use the reference "as if first being Born"), but since a dice has no Zero on it, we use the Neutral position on that character's card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rikolus wrote:
Robert,
It is so funny you mention 'think of Neutral as 0' because when we were first learning that was one of most confusing aspects of the rules.
If (or more likely, When) you have a 2nd edition, you may want to state it that way somewhere early-on in the Rules book, so it is clear that each soul entering the game is actually at Zero (I even use the reference "as if first being Born"), but since a dice has no Zero on it, we use the Neutral position on that character's card.

It slowly dawned on us after a few turns that neutral was 0. I like your idea Rik of them being born as they enter the game!
Really a fun and well made game. Love the artwork!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.