18 Posts

HeroQuest» Forums » General

Subject: How Does Game Feel Compared to Descent 2.0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Baramon
msg tools
Fist of all If someone is offended with comparison i'm sorry

But anyway how does it feel compared to Descent 2.0 in terms of gameplay.
I've never played the original HeroQuest.
Also Abbys is coming next year and i don't know which one to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parsons
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:

Do you mean the original HQ? Or the Kickstarter for the new version? In the former case I couldn't answer, but I'd go with Michael's comment above! In the latter, we have no idea until it's actually released, which is over a year away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
How does game actually feels?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the original game - the mechanics are I guess pretty simplistic compared to modern dungeon crawlers. The guy who gets to play the baddies is far more of a GM type of figure rather than a direct opponent like in Descent.

One thing Heroquest nails that I don't think any other Dungeon Crawl has managed yet is a proper sense of exploration - every dungeon feels unique and you don't get random things popping up - in Descent, if a trap was sprung on you it was because the overlord played a trap card. He could have played this on you at any point in the dungeon and there's nothing you could do to avoid it. In Heroquest, if you set off a trap it's because you didn't search for it properly cos the trap was lying in that specific spot waiting for you since the start of the game.

Sounds trivial, but the dungeon furniture really makes the game stand out. It just makes it look different from other Dungeon crawlers and helps give the various dungeons a bit more character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parsons
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I like the "American" version..( I have UK/US and Advanced versions )

more hit points for monsters and the cool looking armoury card

The rules are alittle more detailed ( see the discussion on falling into pits thread )

cheerio
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
Thanks Jim,

Still requires OL to be evil mastermind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
How does game actually feels?

It accidentaly the whole thing but doesn't afraid of anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
Thanks Jim,

Still requires OL to be evil mastermind?

There's not really much chance of the OL winning a game. He's more there to facilitate a fun experience for the players. Probably why the game works well for a parent playing it with their kids.

(having said that, I think the American rules are a bit tougher on the heroes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parsons
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:

(having said that, I think the American rules are a bit tougher on the heroes)

Yes ! ..Heroes need tough opponents..wimpy ones run away or die with a small Bop on the head
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:

I havent played Descent 2.0 but if your wondering how Heroquest plays you could download this http://members.quicknet.nl/lm.broers/hquest.htm and play through the game. You play as the heroes and stumble around the dungeon usually to find the boss of the level and defeat it or find your way to the next level. The only difference is when playing the board game someone plays the Dungeon,sets the traps,moves the monsters etc. where in the this Download game the Dungeon is controlled by A.I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
Thanks Brian,

this what i call try before buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't compare. Heroquest has 3d props and furniture, nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parsons
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topera wrote:
Can't compare. Heroquest has 3d props and furniture, nuff said.

Yes Yes

Cardinal Richelieu ,

bring on ....

The ..

Comfy chair !!

With the pointy cushions ..

is all the stuffing pushed up one end ????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:

One thing Heroquest nails that I don't think any other Dungeon Crawl has managed yet is a proper sense of exploration - every dungeon feels unique and you don't get random things popping up - in Descent, if a trap was sprung on you it was because the overlord played a trap card. He could have played this on you at any point in the dungeon and there's nothing you could do to avoid it. In Heroquest, if you set off a trap it's because you didn't search for it properly cos the trap was lying in that specific spot waiting for you since the start of the game.

Dungeons and Dragons the Fantasy Adventure Board Game, and Dragon Strike, both do this very well as well. Of course, they are old games, because nowadays people want to be able to play the same adventure over and over again, so games tend not to have preset traps and monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
panzer-attack wrote:

One thing Heroquest nails that I don't think any other Dungeon Crawl has managed yet is a proper sense of exploration - every dungeon feels unique and you don't get random things popping up

I agree. All the more impressive when you consider that it had a single static board, not modular tiles like so many games today. It's amazing how much the board can change from just a few well-placed wall tiles and modular doors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HQ is pretty much an entry-level dungeoncrawler, best for young children, raucious pre-teens, casual gamers, non-RPG'ers, namely anyone for whom this sort of genre is entirely foreign.

Descent adds more tactics, making the game system much more complicated. As opposed to the "beneficent dictator" gamemaster, the Descent game master is actively trying to defeat the players. Best suited for jaded dungeoncrawler gamers.

While Descent's ruleset presents the game as a "GM vs players" game, you CAN play it like HQ's "explore and discovery KILL LOOT" atmosphere. You can make up your own adventures using either system, which was the way the roleplayers did it with Dungeons and Dragons before (and after) premade adventures were around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.