8 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about number of hands per investigator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just started playing Arkham Horror a few weeks ago. I've got 3 games under my belt and I'm loving it. However, I have a question about using Common Items. I understand that you can only use certain ones together. For instance, if attempting to use the Shotgun, I have to make sure I have enough free hands to hold this item plus any additional ones I want to use. My question is, how do I know how many "hands" each investigator has? Is the obvious answer two? Or is there an indicator in the investigator card to signify how many they have? I can't seem to find this information anywhere. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Noob Question
memphis171 wrote:
Is the obvious answer two?

In the absence of a specific rule saying an investigator has greater than or fewer than two, it's two. I don't know if such an investigator exists, though.

I recall seeing one that had an extra hand for the purpose of casting spells, but that may have been a fan creation.

EDIT: Thanks for confirming that it's Marie Lambeau who has that hands exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Every investigator has two hands unless there is some other effect in play such as an injury or a special ability (e.g. Marie Lambeau's "Third Eye").

The two hand limit applies to each round of combat, so you can cast a spell or use a weapon in one round, then let it lapse/ not use it again in the second round and go to new weapons/ spells.

Also, the cross and bullwhip take up a hand to use their combat modifier. However, you can use their effects (+ on horror check/ reroll combat die) without taking up a hand (you just don't get their combat modifier).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification! Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Semi-related, it's also worth noting that one of the expansions (The Dunwich Horror, I think) introduced the idea of "handless weapons" that don't require any available hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
DJGryph wrote:
Semi-related, it's also worth noting that one of the expansions (The Dunwich Horror, I think) introduced the idea of "handless weapons" that don't require any available hands.

It was indeed Dunwich Horror…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
memphis171 wrote:
I just started playing Arkham Horror a few weeks ago. I've got 3 games under my belt and I'm loving it. However, I have a question about using Common Items. I understand that you can only use certain ones together. For instance, if attempting to use the Shotgun, I have to make sure I have enough free hands to hold this item plus any additional ones I want to use. My question is, how do I know how many "hands" each investigator has? Is the obvious answer two? Or is there an indicator in the investigator card to signify how many they have? I can't seem to find this information anywhere. Thank you.

Hi Dave,

Could I ask a favor that you change your Subject heading from "Noob Question" to something more descriptive of the question like "Number of hands available for common items"? This way if someone (often me) has this same question later we can easily find the question and answer without having to open endless files that give a description hoping to find the answer or repeat the same question again. Thanks for your consideration.

Thanks Dave!!

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for all of the replies, everyone. With this newfound knowledge, Yig effectively beat us down into the ground! Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.