Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got a chance to play this game and it was a blast! I really enjoyed the movement programming mechanic and the level of player interaction in the game. Essentially, you have a set of 8? different instruction tiles and 3 programming slots for the 2 bots that you can control. The object being to maneuver your bots around the hex map, snag crystals and drop them off on your base for which you score, you guessed it, victory points!

The catch?

Everyone else is trying to do the same thing. And they can steal crystals that you're carrying. And they can zap you and send one instruction of their choosing forcing you to do their bidding. Oh, and the constraints on changing your programming are insanely stringent! You can replace one programming tile per turn, swap two tiles within one bot, add one tile on an empty slot or remove all tiles from one bot if you're desperate!

Why am I asking for a recommendation for a similar game? I didn't kickstart this one and availability seems extremely limited. And price, of course, will go up commensurately once what few copies for retail there are hit the market.

Is there anything else that has as fiendishly clever a programming mechanic and a high level of player interactivity?

I'm not enthralled with Roborally's programming system of random card draw, time limited programming and simultaneous reveal of instructions (oh, and player elimination). Ricochet Robots seems a bit too non interactive and puzzly.

So, is there anything else out there like this? Ideally with robots?

Or do I just wait until Twin Tin Bots is available at a sane price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Yeah, way too expensive for what you get, IMHO. It was a fun game.

The only other games that I can think of like it are maybe, Kablamo and Warhamster Rally.

Some bigger games with programming that I like are Himalaya(linear) and Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York(area)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Let's see - as someone who didn't care for RoboRally because of the artificial constraint of the random card draw, and who really enjoys Twin Tin Bots, I think I know where you're coming from.

Unfortunately - as much as I like the idea of programmed movement games, Twin Tin Bots is the first one that's really captured and held my interest. The closest, previously, is Mike's excellent suggestion of Warhamster Rally. I like duck! duck! Go!, too - but neither quite enough to stick around for me. (I'd happily play either.)

What I think Twin Tin Bots gets right is that on your turn, you're free to make the most of the situation you've found yourself in. But - the programming constraints are such that you can't get away with wild changes, but instead must plan ahead. This leaves in a good dose of chaos (which a game like this benefits from, IMHO), but you still feel that you are primarily responsible for your own difficulties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Alexander
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd look into RAMbots, which is a Looney Pyramids game in the same genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try looking into Droids, though I have no clue whether that will be cheaper to acquire...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! Some interesting suggestions thus far - Warhamster Rally seeming the most so at first glance. Not robots, though

Programming robots being something of a key, here. It'd be a hook to get my girlfriend playing. She programs robots for a living, you see. Robots that create samples for genetics testing and the like. Not ones that scamper around rooms, zapping each other and creating mayhem but robots nevertheless! When I told her about Twin Tin Bots she actually seemed interested! You know rather than just humoring me

Anyone willing to defend Roborally against charges of being too random?

This sentiment from Joe really nails it down for me:

Quote:
What I think Twin Tin Bots gets right is that on your turn, you're free to make the most of the situation you've found yourself in. But - the programming constraints are such that you can't get away with wild changes, but instead must plan ahead. This leaves in a good dose of chaos (which a game like this benefits from, IMHO), but you still feel that you are primarily responsible for your own difficulties.

Does Roborally provide enough ways to mitigate the randomness of the card draw?

I like chaos in a game like this but I'd prefer it emerge from the player's actions as they struggle against the constraints of the game rather than the constraints of simple randomness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could modify Roborally to have pre-selected cards. The cards are Fwd 1, Fwd 2, Fwd 3, Left, Right, Turnaround, Backup. That's 7 cards. So 2 of each and you could program 5 phases for 2 robots. Doesn't seem that far off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

Anyone willing to defend Roborally against charges of being too random?

Does Roborally provide enough ways to mitigate the randomness of the card draw?

Take a look at the result of the tournament at the World Boardgaming Championships, at http://boardgamers.org/yearbook13/rrypge.htm

There's a tournament of about 60 people every year, including many good players. Brad Johnson has won the tournament 7 times in the past 14 years. The odds of this happening by chance are astronomical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.