Subject: Misbehave Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An analysis of Misbehave cards by suit:

HEARTS

Thematically, most of the Hearts jobs involve brushes with the law, or at least local authority. With respect to game mechanics, the first option for all of these cards is Negotiate. With one exception, a high enough Negotiate will earn success. How high? The magic number is 8, although there are a few higher (but you can Bribe your way to success there) and a few where Warrants count against you. A Fake ID will get you past most of those.

"B-side" options are a mix of Fight, Tech, and item requirements.

The most dangerous card is probably The Sherriff’s Justice. A high negotiate still gets you a Botch. The only way to Proceed is a Fight of 9+.

Strategic recommendations: Negotiate of 7+, Fake ID, keep a few $100 on hand for Bribes.

DIAMONDS

These are mostly "fights with the locals." The first option for all 9 Diamonds cards is a Fight option, broken into 5 non-Kosherized and 4 Kosherized cards. The regular fight jobs have targets between 7 and 9, and most carry some steep penalties for failure (death, Disgruntled crew, and Warrants).

The Kosherized ones have lower targets, but the interesting thing is that all of them also have a Negotiate option within the same range as the Hearts jobs. Also, the toughest regular test has a somewhat painless option -- if you’re willing to accept half for the job.

The danger is spread across this suit, with multiple paths to failure and a few cards leading to Disgruntled crew.

Strategic recommendations: Fight 7+. Paired with a solid Negotiate, that will get you past all but 1 card (and that one has the option to get out without a fight in exchange for half the take on the job. Fight 8+ is better... and consider talking your way out of the Kosherized fights if you don’t have the right mix of crew.

SPADES

These are mostly tech-related jobs about security, etc. With one exception, the Tech targets are at 7 or lower. With the highest one, you get a bonus if you have a Hacking Rig (which acts as an Ace in the Hole for 4 other jobs besides). With the right Tech, you can waltz past 8 of 10 cards.

One card requires a Negotiate that can pay off big if you have the time, but also an option to walk away and proceed. The last card is, at best, a Botch either way. A Tech result of 5 will net you some money, but anything lower kills your crew unless you have a Transport.

Strategic recommendations: Tech 6+, Hacking Rig, Transport.

CLUBS

Clubs are, to me, the scariest suite and seem to be a catch-all category. Success with most cards are covered by the same strategic recommendations as the other three suits, but there are four that merit individual mention:

* A Vote of No Confidence is not particularly dangerous unless you have the perfect storm of Disgruntled Crew and no money to make them happy.

* Locals in Need and Old Vendetta seem to be geared to Disgruntled your crew. In the former, you can get away if you have some Cargo around. In the latter, a duel is your only way not to endanger everyone.

* Finally, there’s the dreaded Alliance Operatives. Unless you have River, your best outcome is a Botched job, which requires a Fight of 10+ or a Transport. Better hope the other guy draws this one!

Strategic recommendations: Besides what’s noted above for other suits, try to keep an extra Cargo on hand.

Additionally, having a Companion or Sniper Rifle on-hand will get you out of 3 cards each (across various suits), so those aren’t bad options if you’re shopping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice analysis! Too bad, besides Inara and Nandi, the only companions are YoSaffBridge, who will probably desert you because other players also want her companion keyword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A keen eye here shows an unexpected pattern! I wonder if future crew/item cards will actually key off of Misbehave suits (besides using them for gambling)? But in a sense they already do. I think you've drawn out a design secret here; nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, folks! Hope this helps the strategists in the community!

When I initially looked at the cards, I noticed that there seemed to be patterns, but when I finally put them into a spreadsheet and color-coded the tests, it became VERY apparent!

I'm also curious what the future will hold for the game. I'm wondering if we'll see "super-Misbehave cards" at some point in the future. The targets you currently need are reasonable in the current environment, with the current game economy, but as more resources are introduced, it will be easier to achieve higher and higher levels (especially in Tech and Negotiate, which are pretty scarce in the main set).

Will we see cards with a Tech target of 12, for example? Or (as get seems to be increasingly powerful), more cards where you can only use one or part of your crew?

It's interesting that you should ask about keying things off certain suits, Jon. One of the reasons I started trying to look at the Misbehave cards in an organized fashion was to figure out if it made sense to do something like that for my custom cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean like this:

Space Measels (Silverhold): To discard this card, you can only send half of your crew (rounded down)out on your next job! All Medic rolls are -1 for that job.

Yes, 'game creep' may have to be addressed at some point. But we can always just make harder Story Cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
You mean like this:

Space Measels (Silverhold): To discard this card, you can only send half of your crew (rounded down)out on your next job! All Medic rolls are -1 for that job.

Yes, 'game creep' may have to be addressed at some point. But we can always just make harder Story Cards!

You know nothing, Jon Snow! It's not space measles... it's space herpes!! laugh

(Couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a 2 for 1 on the Jon Snow line AND a reference to Ice Pirates in one post!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cute.

By the way, my updated Sortabble Spreadsheet was just approved. It now contains pages for Supplies, Jobs, Misbehave Cards, and Nav Cards. You can see the patterns for yourself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise Roy,

I trust you're not suggesting that Jon Snow doesn't know anything about ice and snow. I mean, c'mon, he's on The Wall. Of course, he may be less experienced in sexual matters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George:

Congratulations on your approval. I'm still waiting on my Contact Jobs Guide down in Files. Well, no one can say its not an active board here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe you should re-submit, Jon? Haven't you been waiting for about a week now?!? Exactly how complicated is the document?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Moody

Missoula
Montana
msg tools
Excellent analysis.

The obsessive-compulsive part of my brain does wish they had made Ambush a Diamond instead of a Club just to even out the numbers. Not to mention that it fits right in with the other local trouble cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, the lack of unbalanced suits bugs me. My guess is that, at one point, there were going to be 13 of each suit, with the 2 River cards as Jokers, and when they trimmed the deck, they didn't do a solid QC check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.