Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the Submarine control panel is next to the bulkhead, a situation can arise where smoke would normally be placed on the control panel, via heat transfer. This situation arose in a recent game. What happens in this case?

An explosion at space Red4:Black4 is next to the bulkhead wall. Smoke would hence normally be placed at Red4:Black3. This is the control panel space.

Under the Bulkhead rules it says: "The smoke marker placed by Heat Transfer is resolved as if it was placed as a result of an Advance Fire roll".

Under the Special machinery rules it says: "If the target space of the Advance Fire roll is a space occupied by a Special Machine it is invalid, use the arrows on the board to find a valid target space and then resolve the Advance Fire as normal".

The problem with this is that the arrow on the control panel space sends the smoke back into our initial explosion space Red4:Black4, which would cause another explosion in that space and the same problem would arise. This is an infinite loop and would eventually cause the hull to fill up with damage markers, sinking the sub!

So, I guess there are 3 options:

1. Ignore placement of smoke via heat transfer when explosions happen at Red4:Black4.
2. Place a damage marker on the control panel instead of smoke marker when explosions happen at Red4:Black4.
3. Place the smoke marker on Red4:Black2 instead of on the control panel (i.e. the heat is transferred through the control panel and out the other side - a little far fetched?)

Looking for Lutz's view on this really. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The case is explicitly mentioned in the rule as an exception (lower part of the submarine section- I am currently working from the German rules, but this should be in the English rules as well). Place a cube on 4-3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Lutz - I found the exception mentioned in the rules after you pointed it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Garcia
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny. I missed that part of the rules too, but there it is after reading this post. blush
Thanks Adam of creating the post and Lutz for opening my eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.