Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched the reviews, ordered the game with the expansion, but before I play it I'm still curious how this game can be very good with two? Doesn't everything seem so open and up for grabs? It would seem too easy to not get into each other's way too much and therefore, you would find an optimal 2 player strategy after a few plays. I'm not asking anyone to spoil the game if there is one of these types of strategies, I'm just curious if someone can explain why this game is recommended by 71% of players for 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You have fewer cubes on the board with fewer players (you take a cube to perform an action). So, it scales pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it plays very well with 2. The way ive enjoyed it the most. The market can give a lot of points, which gives great interactions (trying to take it when the other player cannot sell etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, does pretty well with 2. I've played 2, 3 and 4, mostly 2 and haven't run into any problems or feeling like things are too open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play this as a 2 player game nearly exclusively. It scales down very well for 2 players. You may be doing different things, but you also will be bumping into each other quite a bit too as you race to position meeples for death and entry into the chronicle, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get to know the flow of the game with the base game first. The expansion is great but can lead to more run away end scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stev4uth wrote:
Get to know the flow of the game with the base game first. The expansion is great but can lead to more run away end scoring.

Interesting to know that. Yeah, I was planning on playing with the base game as much as possible first and then throwing in the expansion when the base game become samey or we just need something more. Thanks for all of the fast replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Calder
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This plays very well with all player counts, scales very well. I actually prefer it with 2 due to the reduced playtime with less players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
I've watched the reviews, ordered the game with the expansion, but before I play it I'm still curious how this game can be very good with two? Doesn't everything seem so open and up for grabs? It would seem too easy to not get into each other's way too much and therefore, you would find an optimal 2 player strategy after a few plays. I'm not asking anyone to spoil the game if there is one of these types of strategies, I'm just curious if someone can explain why this game is recommended by 71% of players for 2 player games.

It plays well with 2, but I'm starting to find it a bit samey. You may be doing different amounts of the same thing, but you can't really avoid doing a bit of the same things. It's not about there being an optimal strategy but more a points-from-here-and-there feel that makes one game feel a bit like the last after a while.

It's still worth giving a go, in my opinion, as a dozen plays is good enough value in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've mostly played it with 2 players and it works quite well for reasons others have already mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme Duque
Brazil
Vitória
ES
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also less space on the village's chronicles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stev4uth wrote:

Nah, don't think that I will. I like the idea of the inn, and think it should have been included in the base game. Perhaps I'll ignore it for a spell, but I like the added resource and time sinks it adds (from a design stand-point).

I'm curious what you mean about the "run away end scoring"? Most of the cards I've seen have been reasonably easy to interpret (i.e. so long as both players are aware of what is available and what benefits they afford, they should both be able to maximize on the opportunities).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think Steve means that the cards which increase end-of-game points, particularly the Chronicle and Travel, make those scoring areas much larger relative to the rest of the game. Because the cards themselves appear randomly, it is not always possible to block players from getting ones which give them a huge boost in points. So the card with increased points for travel is fine when someone takes it early. Other players can try to block that player's access to travel and make them struggle to use the card. But if the same card pops out just in time for a player with five cities traveled and a wagon in hand, that can be tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Stormhammer
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a two player game Village shines. 3 people is also a great game, while I personally find 4 lacking. Too much changes between turns to hash out a strategy, or the opposite happens: one player takes the family option getting a new person, so all the other people follow and do the same so they dont get shut out of a new guy that round.

At 4 its no good. 2 is amazing. 3 is still a game better than most.

my 2 cents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edmund_china wrote:
As a two player game Village shines. 3 people is also a great game, while I personally find 4 lacking. Too much changes between turns to hash out a strategy, or the opposite happens: one player takes the family option getting a new person, so all the other people follow and do the same so they dont get shut out of a new guy that round.

At 4 its no good. 2 is amazing. 3 is still a game better than most.

my 2 cents

Interesting. I've felt the absolute opposite... (when not quite, I still think it's good with two) perhaps I like the competitive nature of being shut out. For me it makes planning (and the ring) more crucial. Like Age of Empires III, which doesn't really work with 2 players for me as there're fewer chances to block strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
stev4uth wrote:

Nah, don't think that I will. I like the idea of the inn, and think it should have been included in the base game. Perhaps I'll ignore it for a spell, but I like the added resource and time sinks it adds (from a design stand-point).

I'm curious what you mean about the "run away end scoring"? Most of the cards I've seen have been reasonably easy to interpret (i.e. so long as both players are aware of what is available and what benefits they afford, they should both be able to maximize on the opportunities).

I like the Inn very much, and always play with it unless teaching the game, however I do also recommend not using it for new players. Although the effects are for the most part easy to interpret it gives new players a major extra thing to think about and doesn't help them come to grips with the basic flow of the game. Mostly they either ignore it or stress about it, neither of which works in their favour. Once they have a game under their belt though I add it in and it is far more welcome (and enjoyed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.