17 Posts

7 Wonders» Forums » General

Subject: Is 7 Wonders any good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiki Wiki
msg tools
Hi,

I am interested in family games and 7 wonders is supposed to be the best. I would not have any hesitation but I am worried it is too similar to Dominion(no interaction). Is this a valid point, and is there anything extremely exceptional about this game.

Thank you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card drafting is the central mechanic. It's a fun 30-40 minute civilization builder using cards around your city board. Interaction is limited to purchasing resources from your neighbors, and also causing all your opponents to lose money if you have some of the black cards from 7 Wonders: Cities.

I love 7 Wonders, but I take it as a light tableau building game at the most, nothing more. The main tension comes from selecting the cards to keep or to pass as well as the general path to take during the curse of the game. It is indeed a great family game since it is generally not mean and everyone gets to build something, win or lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is probably the most reviewed game here on the Geek. Go to the 7 Wonders page and there are almost 6 pages of videos and many written reviews and session reports. I'm sure you'll find your answer there.

It is a game where there is minimal interaction, that being denying your neighbor a card that they might need.

It's a fun game. I like it and many others love it. A wide range of people agree that it is a good experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is right up there on the leaderboard for a good reason. It's both a very popular and very enjoyable game. It's great as a game for a family, provided you're looking at it for probably about 10-12+ (or smart kids) and also for adults. It's not so great if you think you'll be playing a lot of 2 player - it does have a 2 player mode, but it's not so strong.

The interaction in the game is very close to that of Dominion (that said, I definitely disagree that Dominion has 'no interaction', and heck I wouldn't even say it's 'low interaction') - mostly indirect, competing over limited resources and adjusting strategies based on what others are doing. In Dominion, there's also attacks, directly interactive cards and the like. In 7 Wonders, you need to watch what they've built and sometimes select cards accordingly. I'd say 7 Wonders is more interactive with your neighbours compared to Dominion overall, but much less with those sitting elsewhere on the table. 7 player 7 Wonders feels very light on how much you interact with everyone else overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always: It depends.

What do you like/dislike about games? Here are a few things to consider.

1. The simultaneous card drafting mechanic means very little downtime. You might have a slow player in your group, but that can be true of any game.

2. The game is very tactical. You will have to react to the cards as they come around and also be mindful of what your neighbours are trying to achieve (rather than trying to run a specific strategy from turn 1, or only focusing on your own game).

3. This games plays very differently to Dominion and has very little in common with it.

4. In larger groups you are less able to have any impact on players seated 2 or 3 places away from you.

5. There is interaction in the game, but it is not confrontational or conflict based. In fact, the interaction can be subtle. For example, when you choose to build a stage of your Wonder, you will be playing a card face down - so you can choose a card that your neighbour badly wants, and they wont even know that you denied it to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
6element
msg tools
mb
For a player who doesn't like Dominion (and suggests that there isn't enough player interaction there), gives Chess 7, Monopoly 8.5 and Settlers of Catan 7.5 I'd recommend Carcasson instead of 7 Wonders.

It is a simpler game (comparing to 7 Wonders, Dominion and even Settlers) and it is much easier to find player interaction there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Burke
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Part Owner, Gen Con Games Library
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is one of my family's favorite games, and we have diverse interests. There are no similarities to Dominion, other than that both games have cards and play moves clockwise.

Definitely give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a lot of fun. We love teaching it to new players, but we love it more when all the players have a few games under their belts and know what going on. Its fun and quick and has yet to get old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's a great game, I played once and had to have it

I even got my brother to play, he's a Marine that does NOT play games
he talked about finding a copy so I just gave him mine to take with him
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could wake me up at 3am for a round of 7W.
It's always fun and never gets boring for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I have it, the Cities and extra wonders expansions - but it's far from one of my favourite games. I have not suggested playing it for a long time and there are other games I'd much rather play. It's short, it's easy but it's not deep enough for me. So after a few games it bored me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is great if you expect a light, fast game. It isn't super deep and, especially with more players, it can be hard to enact a true strategy other than pick the best VP card you see. If you're willing to overlook that, its awesome. Everyone takes their turn at the same time and it can FLY if you have a group of experienced players (you don't have to monitor resource payments, etc). Its always one that travels with me and I'll rarely say no when its suggested.

Just don't expect a lot of depth and you're fine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're asking this question in the 7 Wonders forum so are unlikely to get negative responses. Of course the game is "good" in that many people like it and it's highly rated. The real question is will YOU like it?

I always press the "comments" button at the top of the game page, and read the comments from everyone who rates the game poorly. If for example several comments say the game has too much luck, and you dislike games with a lot of luck, there's a warning bell there. (This is an example - I'm not saying 7 wonders has or hasn't too much luck)

My opinion of 7 Wonders is that you can't go far wrong with it. It's easy to teach and to play, doesn't take long, and should certainly be fun for at least a while. I happen to be bored with it now but that's just me - it's a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's better than most, not as good as some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
TikiClan wrote:
Hi,

I am interested in family games and 7 wonders is supposed to be the best. I would not have any hesitation but I am worried it is too similar to Dominion(no interaction). Is this a valid point, and is there anything extremely exceptional about this game.

Thank you all!

I suggest watching some of the videos posted on this site about 7 Wonders. I was hooked because of 'Watch it Played': 7 Wonders

Exceptional about this game (in my opinion): very accessible, but it takes a while to get used to the symbols and the scoring for science. The game is easy to play out, it takes only around 30 minutes. Beautiful to look at. Interaction is with your neighbours (trade and military), but if you want to win in a 4-7 player game you also need to watch the others to get the highest score.

Watch the videos and make your decision! Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dom and 7W have the following similarities:
-both are eurogames
-both have a concept of building up your engine vs. getting VPs (e.g. In Dom, you usually won't start buying Estates and Duchies ASAP, like with 7W, u usually won't forgo resources for pts in the first age)
-both have a paltry amount of negative interaction...
Militia in Dom vs. burying cards in 7W
-luck plays an issue, but not too much
-good players will often win out
-you can be at the mercy of bad players (e.g. Dom, someone buys certain cards for no reason and redirects the flow of the game. 7W 1 player never goes military and pretty much gives his neighbors a free 9pts)
-both are relatively quick
-both can be relatively long with slow players (e.g. a 45 minute game of Dom, or a 1h15m game of 7W)

However in differences:
-interaction in Dom is limited to buying out cards in the supply, and attack cards do NOT allow you to go after individual players, or anyone other than to your left. In 7W, military only goes after neighbors.
-7W downtime can be worse if you have just one slow player, since turns are typically very quick, and one slow player who takes 2 minutes to decide magnifies that
-Dom, it gets infuriating when someone plays out their whole deck, while you twiddle your thumbs or text someone during those 2 to 4 minutes.

-7W is about card drafting. Dom is about deck building
-7W has more avenues to get pts. Dom has less, although this is heavily dependent on the supply setup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
6element wrote:
For a player who doesn't like Dominion (and suggests that there isn't enough player interaction there), gives Chess 7, Monopoly 8.5 and Settlers of Catan 7.5 I'd recommend Carcasson instead of 7 Wonders.

It is a simpler game (comparing to 7 Wonders, Dominion and even Settlers) and it is much easier to find player interaction there.

I find this quite misleading. I rate Catan as a 9, I do not like Dominion and I hate MOnopoly and Chess, but I like very much Seven Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.