Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I just passed the point where my little thingy no longer says "New User" but I still feel like one . I have a couple of questions:
1. How do you put pictures into reviews? I'm not looking to put them into the gallery, but I wouldn't know how to do that either.
2. How do you quote other people's material? Especially doing a quote within a quote. I don't get that. Also, how can I quote different sources in one post?
3. Is there actually one resource that answers all of these questions about using the site in general?
Thanks, y'all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Can't help with the pictures, but
Quote:
quoting
Quote:
is
Quote:
fairly
Quote:
easy.

Click the option to quote me to see how I did that. Always check your nesting.

If I wish to ascribe the quote to a specific person, then I put the username (the blue one you can click on to go to their profile) in like this: [ q = JasonJ0 ] but without the spaces. This is what BGG does for you automatically when you quote someone by clicking on quote or quickquote.

You can do all this manually with typing and copying and pasting if you like, or you can simply right-click the quote option for the text you wish to quote and open it in a new tab - with all the quoting done for you. You just copy the entire text generated that way into your own post.

Try this page from the BGG wiki for general formatting tips. I seem to recall seeing a call for a link to this to be stickied in the BGG How To forum, but I don't think it has happened yet...

Instructions for pictures are stickied in the How To forum, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

This informative GeekList might be helpful:

Tricks of the Geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
Hey, I just passed the point where my little thingy no longer says "New User" but I still feel like one . I have a couple of questions:
1. How do you put pictures into reviews? I'm not looking to put them into the gallery, but I wouldn't know how to do that either.
2. How do you quote other people's material? Especially doing a quote within a quote. I don't get that. Also, how can I quote different sources in one post?
3. Is there actually one resource that answers all of these questions about using the site in general?
Thanks, y'all!

1. Here's a guide to putting pictures in messages: Re: How to insert images of different size in posts?

2. I just hit the QuickQuote button to the lower right of your message. If you quote a message with a quote in it, you'll get a quote in a quote. Basically you start with [q] and end with [/q] (I put a bold of nothing after the [ to keep the system from paying attention to it). Your quote about starts [q="Miller4h9"] (and ends with the same [/q]). If I do [q="He"] [q="She"]What they wrote.[/q][/q] it ends up looking like this:
He wrote:
She wrote:
What they wrote.

3. Look for locked threads in this forum and in HOWTO BGG.

Hints:
* Always preview before posting! It saves a lot of edits.
* Quote messages if you don't understand how they're doing something (not possible at all times).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
Thanks, y'all!

Liam Liam has promoted this one for me, but I haven't done it in a while. ninja

New Users want to know Who? What? Where? When? and Why? but mostly How?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also find the BGG wiki page Forum formatting helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
And you'll find most of these in: Every-Gamer BGG Guides
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
monkeyhandz wrote:
And you'll find most of these in: Every-Gamer BGG Guides

Why is that not pinned to the top of How To? If things so trivial as microbadges and geekgold get pinned, why not something that actually tells users how to make use of the site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.