Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You read that right. I played this deck against the dreaded Escape from Dol Goldur quest (standard version) 10 times, and I won 7 of them. I played everything by the book... Draw 6 cards, choose to mulligan or not, add objectives to the staging area and attach and resolve three encounter cards, choose a prisoner at random.

In the past, when I've beaten this scenario solo, I've gotten at best about a 10% win rate. My goal was to make a deck that could withstand any hero being taking prisoner (which pretty much meant it had to be mono-sphere) and could deal with a variety of nasty setups. I turned to Spirit, becaus it has tons of questing power, the ability to ready heroes, card-drawing and threat reduction -- the four most vital keys to succeeding at this quest.

My first few games seemed like the encounter deck was on my side. First game I had Under the Shadow, Dungeon Jailor and Iron Shackles guarding the objectives, which meant a measly 2 threat to start. Game two was only slightly harder, with Driven by Shadow, Eyes of the Forest and Mountains of Mirkwood. Things started to really get rough with game 4, where I had three locations in the staging area to start. But even without Eowyn, this deck quests like nobody's business. I made short work of the opening setup.

Then in my fifth game I had a starting setup I was certain would be my doom... Dungeon Jailor, Dol Guldor Orcs and Necromancer's Reach, with Frodo taken prisoner. Not so bad, right? Just 3 threat in the staging area. I pop Light of Valinor on Glorfindel and off we go... only to reveal the Spawn of Ungoliant. YIKES! I'm down 5 willpower versus 6 in the staging, but discard a card to Eowyn to prevent the Jailor from absconding an available objective. I engage the Dol Goldur Orcs, let them whack Glorfindel undefended for two, and smite them with the Elf-lord. I mean, the guy kills Balrogs. A couple Orcs ain't gonna pose much threat. Meanwhile, I just let the Spawn hang out in the staging area for quite awhile, until I eventually had the manpower to take it down. In the end, thanks to a couple Gandalf plays and multiple Elrond's Counsels, I won with just 29 threat -- by far my best effort. And this was a game where I had to deal with a ton of enemies. This proved to me that this deck really can do it all.

They real key to this deck is how cheap the allies are. It functions just fine with 2 resources per turn, or at least fine enough to get your prisoner back. In the early stages it's all about getting willpower characters into play. Light Valinor can combo with Bofur or Silvan Refugee on the first turn, or instead you can play an Ethir Swordsman, Arwen or Westfold Horse-breaker. Oh, and the first-turn Emery is always nice... she makes a great blocker against this quest, as there are very few enemies/shadow effects that put attacks over three.

However it plays out, you have a really good chance to put out at least 2 willpower worth of ally questing on turn one. Then just keeping putting one card into play each turn and you should be able to stay ahead of the curve. No matter who is taken prisoner, this deck can utilize the heroes in multiple ways. If Glorfindel is in play and you get Light of Valinor on him, he can quest and attack. But if he's not there, fear not. Frodo can quest AND effectively defend (by taking undefended damage as threat increase). And if Eowyn is prisoner... well, you've got less questing (easily made up for by your allies) but even more flexibility in dealing with engaged enemies.

You really only need all three heroes in Stage 2, when the Nazgul is clogging up the staging area. But by then you'll have enough questing to stay ahead of the curve, and should have been able to find a Gandalf to help when you're finally ready to engage the Nazgul. Typical process is to clear out all other enemies, then play Gandalf (putting 4 damage on the Nazgul) and hold him back. After questing with Eowyn, Glorfindel (if he has Light of Valinor) and a couple allies, engage the Nazgul. You can defend with Frodo and take a couple points of threat increase, or throw a chump blocker in the way (and be prepared to discard one of your exhausted questing allies if the Nazgul gets a shadow effect). Or my favorite trick, defend with Emery, kill her, and put a new Emery into play from your hand using her special ability. Anyway, then it's a simple attack from Gandalf, Glorfindel and any 1-attack character to finish off the Nazgul.

Then quest through the end of stage 2 (easily done once Nazgul is gone), and on the following turn claim the last two objectives and cruise to victory through Stage 3.

Here's the full deck list in all its spirited glory. It's made with two core sets and the full pool of expansion, but c'mon... you weren't expecting a deck this consistent to be made with a single Core did you? Then again, none of the extra core cards are essential... if you have to drop an Unexpected Courage, Test of Will, Northern Tracker and Dwarven Tomb, the deck will still perform.

HEROES: 21 starting threat
Eowyn
Frodo
Glorfindel

ALLIES
x2 Arwen Undomiel
x3 Bofur
x1 Damrod
x3 Northern Tracker
x1 Elfhelm
x3 Emery
x3 Ethir Swordsman
x3 Gandalf
x3 Pelargir Shipwright
x3 Silvan Refugee
x3 The Riddermark's Finest
x3 Westfold Horse-breaker

ATTACHMENTS
x3 Ancient Mathom
x3 Light of Valinor
x2 Unexpected Courage

EVENTS
x3 A Test of Will
x2 Dwarven Tomb
x3 Elrond's Counsel
x3 Stand and Fight

And here's a quick summary of the games I played... Captured hero, final threat, cards revealed during setup:

WIN (Eowyn) 46, Under the Shadow, Dungeon Jailor, Iron Shackles
WIN (Glorfindel) 49, Driven By Shadow, Eyes of the Forest, Mountains of Mirkwood
WIN (Glorfindel) 38, Necromancer's Reach, Dol Goldur Beastmaster, Mountains of Mirkwood
WIN (Eowyn) 45, Necromancer's Reach, Endless Cavern, Necromancer's Pass, Great Forest Web
WIN (Frodo) 29, Dungeon Jailor, Dol Guldor Orcs, Necromancer's Reach
LOSS (Eowyn) -, Cavern Guardian, Enchanted Stream, King Spider [Frodo]
LOSS (Eowyn) -, Dungeon Jailor, King Spider [Frodo], Cavern Guardian
WIN (Glorfindel) 39, Under the Shadow, Chieftain Ufthak, Caught in a Web [Frodo]
WIN (Eowyn) 45, Driven by Shadow, Dol Goldur Orcs, Mountains of Mirkwood
LOSS (Frodo) -, Ungoliant's Spawn, Necromancer's Pass, Dungeon Jailor

The last one was REALLY close... I almost got out from under the thumb of a tough start, but repeated King Spider appearances (both as enemy and shadow) kept me from getting ahead. But hey, 7 out of 10 is WAY better than anything I've built in the past. I'll take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérémie Dong
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hehe i'm quite new to this forum, but i already checked some of your posts (i.e. those about the awesome-and-incredible-solo-Rambo-Samwise deck ). It's so interesting.
After reading threads about Dol Guldur and having myself tried alone that quest, i was pretty convinced it was nearly impossible to beat it solo (or maybe with something like a poor 5% winrate) ^^

Now that i read that, i just wanna try the challenge to find an efficient solo deck against Dol Guldur, as you did. I clearly lack cards yet, but that's even more challenging !

So, thanks a lot for sharing, its really interesting and i learn a lot from it (i'm into LOTR lcg since 2 weeks only). I hope you will keep on posting such thread !

Good luck for your next solo challenge

Tchung'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done designing and testing this deck, and for posting such a fine report. Thank you very much for giving us lesser players hope that, one day, we too can build such a deck and finally defeat Dol Guldur consistently!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
xanalor wrote:
but c'mon... you weren't expecting a deck this consistent to be made with a single Core did you?

I've actually done something very similar with single Core Set and (although I suspect my deck is not as efficient as yours because of that) did beat Dol Guldur with similar results.

I think Emrys and Pelargir Shipwright really made mono-Spirit deck effective against Dol Guldur (or more effective than before).
Just one more way to 'put ally into play' and an efficient ally (1 cost for 1 wp) with 3 hit points hit the spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, mono-Spirit is really good unless there is an enemy swarm. Hobbit Gandalf is a good alternative here, as you should be able to afford him long in play. Also the new Saruman might be very useful.

Emery is of course amazing.

I am currently working on a mono-Spirit without both Frodo and Glorfindel (who are the best choice in terms of power, indeed). I do not want to use Frodo because of the saga and Glorfindel is occupying another deck (I tend to miss Asfaloth). So the three ladies it is, Eleanor, Caldara, Éowyn; it is obviously weaker (both in safety and attack) but it may be all the more satisfying gaining results with the girls.

And finally, the second (or third) core is really not that important for such a deck (as above). Neither of the heroes really need extra actions (if Glorfindel has Light already) and Dwarven Tomb can be replaced (to lesser effect) with Map of Eärnil (at least to recycle the Counsel or Stand and Fight).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:
And finally, the second (or third) core is really not that important for such a deck (as above). Neither of the heroes really need extra actions (if Glorfindel has Light already) and Dwarven Tomb can be replaced (to lesser effect) with Map of Eärnil (at least to recycle the Counsel or Stand and Fight).

Agreed on the Map for Dwarven Tomb if need be... in fact I almost exclusively used to the Tomb to play Elrond's Counsel. The one and only other time I used it on anything else was to get A Test of Will back (which you cannot replicate with the Map, but it turned out not to be necessary anyway).

Also, after posting this report I realized one adjustment I'd make to the deck, that may well have made the difference in one or two of those losses... I was only really using the Westfold Horse-breakers to ready heroes (the 1 willpower for questing not really needed), and 2 is a lot to pay for that. A much better replacement would be Miruvor. If you use it for the first two abilities (ready a hero and give a hero a resource) it's basically the same as a Cram, and that extra free hero readying would really help against the dreaded King Spider, which constantly seemed to be my undoing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Of course Tomb is better (in pretty much every way) than Map, still the latter can play the role for those with less number of core sets, or (when crazed like me) when going for the theme.

And yes, Miruvor is really a good card in many a deck. And here, with the need of haste, it certainly seems to be more fit than the Horse-breaker (and perhaps even more than Courage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are actually a couple reasons I considered going with the Map over the Tomb, and I think after my testing they are changes worth making (for the Escape scenarion anyway).

1. The Map is immune to the effects of Eyes of the Forest (discard all events in hand)
2. The Map serves as good fodder for the Cavern Guardian and Driven by Shadow shadow effects. If I have to lose an attachment, I'd much rather lose the Map than Unexpected Courage or Light of Valinor.

You'd think after 10 plays with the same deck I'd have had enough, but now with the Miruvor and Map adjustments I'm keen to see what difference they'll make. I think I'll remove Damrod and Elfhelm as well, replace them with something cheaper. In 10 games I played Elfhelm once and Damrod 0 times, and at that point Elfhelm's only use was for a little extra attack power. Unless you're putting an early Northern Tracker into play (and I just did that a couple times on the second or third turn) you can't afford to save up resources for 4-cost cards.

I think 'll try adding Hidden Cache (0-cost event, when discarded from your deck gain 2 resources)... The odds of success aren't great, but if I discard one to Emergy that'd be a HUGE boon. At the very least I can pitch it to Eowyn for +1 wp (which is what I usually do with Damrod and Elfhelm anyway) or once the prisoner is rescued, I can afford to pay the resource to draw a replacement. Always tweaking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks promising. Would you have the time to provide a detailed sequence of play to have a better idea of the strategy? Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can add a Stargazer to go with the cache. It may just do the trick - when playing Emery. Zigil is probably too complicated here - though he is actually much more flexible (at least he can attack).

Being you I take out Horse-breakers, Damrod, Elfhelm and Ethir Swordsmen - they are weak against the Reach, and you've got other, better options. But I am not saying Stargazer will help here, because you need be quick and she usually doesn't help in that regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm officially convinced that this is THE deck to beat Escape from Dol Goldur. I ended up not putting in the Maps (realized they cost 2 until you rescue the prisoner), but I did take out Damrod, Elfhelm and the Horse-breakers and added x3 Spare Hood and Cloak and x3 Miruvor.

I played 6 more games and won 5 of them, and recorded the last one for posterity... The opening staging area was so horrific I knew if I could beat this one I could handle just about anything.

No freebie events this time... I revealed Necromancer's Pass, Dol Goldur Beastmaster and my bane, the King Spider (chose to exhaust Frodo) and then Eowyn was taken prisoner. But I powered through, and made it to the end. Here's the detailed blow-by-blow (sans commentary, which I'm just too tired to put in right now). You might wonder why I lingered on Stage 1 so long... The Beastmaster was guarding Gandalf's Map, so I wanted to clear it out first, and it took awhile before I could hold back enough attack power to take out the Beastmaster (the Tracker was busy dealing with locations).

There were a few key decisions that led to my success, starting on turn 1 when I eschewed the obvious Light of Valinor to drop both copies of Miruvor. This way I could have 4 resources on turn 2 and play the Tracker. I figured no big deal on the King Spider... I could take some undefended damage on Glorfindel, ready both heroes with Miruvor, and take it out easily.

Of course, I get the one, nastiest shadow effect in this situation -- Dol Goldur Orcs, which make me put 5 damage on a hero. Frodo's ability saves the day, I kill the Spider as planned, and off I go, with 11 threat gained on turn 1, but still in position to get the job done...

SETUP
Hand: Miruvor, Miruvor, Light of the Valinor, Northern Tracker, Ancient Mathom, Stand and Fight
Necromancer's Pass, Dol Goldur Beastmaster, King Spider [exhaust Frodo]
Eowyn taken prisoner

TURN 1
Draw Riddermark's Finest
Play Miruvor on Glorfindel
Play Miruvor on Frodo
Quest: Glorfindel (3)
Raise threat to 22
Reveal Necromancer's Reach, deal 1 dmg to Glorfindel and 1 dmg to Frodo
Fail Quest: 3 - 7
Raise threat to 26
Engage King Spider
Undefended attack, Dol Goldur Orcs shadow effect (+3 ATK)
Deal 6 dmg to Frodo
Raise threat to 32
Discard Miruvor to ready Glorfindel and gain 1 resource
Discard Miruvor to ready Frodo and gain 1 resource
Attack King Spider with Glorfindel and Frodo (4), kill it
End of turn, raise threat to 33

TURN 2
Draw Ethir Swordsman
Play Northern Tracker
Quest: Glorfindel, Frodo, Northern Tracker (6)
Raise threat to 34
Place 1 progress on Necromancer's Pass (1/2)
Reveal Tower Gate.
Fail Quest: 6 - 7
Raise threat to 35
End of turn, raise threat to 36

TURN 3
Draw Riddermark's FInest
Play: Ancient Mathom on Tower Gate, Light of Valinor on Glorfindel
Place 1 progress on Necromancer's Pass (2/2, explored)
Place 1 progress on Tower Gate (1/1, explored)
Draw Elrond's Counsel, Pelargir Shipwright and Emery from Ancient Mathom
Play Elrond's Counsel (+1 WP)
Reduce threat to 33
Play Emery for free
Reveal Mountains of Mirkwood
Quest successfully, 7 - 4 (3/9 progress on Stage 1B)
Travel to Mountains of Mirkwood, reveal Cavern Guardian
Raise threat to 34
Engage Cavern Guardian
Emery defends (no shadow effect)
Glorfindel attacks and destroys Cavern Guardian
End of turn, raise threat to 35

TURN 4
Draw Dwarven Tomb
Play Dwarven Tomb to retrieve Elrond's Counsel
Quest: Glorfindel, Frodo, Northern Tracker, Emery (7)
Play Elrond's Counsel (+1 wp)
Reduce threat to 32
Reveal: Mountains of Mirkwood
Quest succesfully: 8-4 (3 progress on previous Mountains of Mirkwood, 4/9 progress on Quest 1B)
Explore Mountains of Mirkwood
Draw Gandalf as reward
Raise threat to 33

TURN 5
Draw Spare Hood and Cloak
Play Spare Hood and Cloak on Emery
Play Pelargir Shipwright
Quest: Glorfindel, Frodo, Northern Tracker, Pelargir Shipwright (9)
Place 1 progress on Mountains of Mirkwood (1/3)
Reveal: Dol Goldur Orcs (2 damage to Shipwright)
Quest succesfully: 9 - 6 (7/9 progress on Stage 1B)
Engage Orcs
Defend with Emergy
Cavern Guardian shadow effect (discard Spare Hood and Cloak)
Attack with Glorfindel and destroy Orcs
Raise threat to 34

TURN 6
Draw Dwarven Tomb
Play Dwarven Tomb to retrieve Elrond's Counsel
Quest: Glorfindel, Frodo, Shipwright, Northern Tracker (9)
Place 1 progress on Mountains of Mirkwood (2/3)
Play Elrond's Counsel (+1 WP)
Reduce threat to 31
Reveal: Necromancer's Pass
Quest: 10 - 7 (10/9 progress on 1B)
Raise threat to 32

TURN 7
Draw Gandalf
Quest: Glorfindel, Frodo, Northern Tracker, Pelargir Shipweight (9)
Place 1 progress on Mountains of Mirkwood (3/3)
Explore Mountains, draw A Test of Will as reward
Quest: 9 - 5 (14/9 progress on 1B)
Raise threat to 33

TURN 8
Draw Ethir Swordsman
Play Riddermark's Finest
Quest: Glorfindel, Northern Tracker, Shipwright (6)
Reveal: Eyes of the Shadow. Discard Stand and Fight and A Test of Will
Quest: 6 - 2 (18/9 progress on 1B)
Raise threat to 34

TURN 9
Draw Ancient Mathom
Play Ethir Swordsman
Quest: Glorfindel, Frodo (5)
Reveal: Caught in a Web (Frodo)
Quest: 5 - 2 (21/9 progress on 1B)
Engage Dol Goldur Beastmaster
Block with Emergy (Endless Cavern and Great Forest Web shadow, no effects)
Attack with Glorfindel, Northern Tracker, Ethir Swordsman for 6, destroy Beastmaster
Raise threat to 35

TURN 10
Draw A Test of Will
Quest: Glorfindel, Shipwright (6)
Reveal: Endless Cavern
Raise threat to 36
Reveal Necromancer's Reach
Play A Test of Will to cancel its effects
Attach Gandalf's Map to Frodo
Advance to Stage 2B
Raise threat to 38
Quest: 6 - 1 (5/15 on stage 2B)
Rescue Eowyn
Add Nazgul to staging area
Travel to Endless Cavern
Raise threat to 38

TURN 11
Draw Emergy
Play Gandalf
Deal 4 damage to Nazgul
Quest: Eowyn, Glorfindel, Shipwright (10)
Reveal: Great Forest Web
Quest: 10 - 7 (3/3 progress on Endless Cavern, explored)
Engage Nazgul
Defend with Emergy
Chieftain Ufthak shadow (no effect)
Destroy Emery
Play Emery for free
Attack with Gandalf, Glorfindel, Ethir Swordsman for 8, destroying Nazgul
Raise threat to 40

TURN 12
Draw Elrond's Ciunsel
Play: Ancient Mathom on Great Forest Web
Quest: Eowyn, Northern Tracker, Glorfindel, Shipwright, Ethir Swordsman (13)
Place 1 progress on Great Forest Web (1/2)
Play Elrond's Counsel (+1 wp)
Reduce threat to 37
Reveal: Tower Gate
Quest: 14 - 4 (15/15/ progress on stage 2B)
Rause threat to 38

TURN 13
Draw Ancient Mathom
Play Gandalf
Reduce threat to 33
Play Ancient Mathom on Great Forest Web
Attach Shadow Key and Dungeon Torch to Frodo
Advance to stage 3
Raise threat to 37
Quest Eowyn, Glorfindel, Northern Tracker, Gandalf, Shipwright, Riddermark's Finest, Emery, Ethir Swordsman
Quest Everyone (19)
Place 1 progress on Great Forest Web, explored, draw 6 cards
Place 1 progress on Tower Gate (explored)
Reveal Under the Shadow
Quest: 19 - 1 (18/7 progress on stage 3B)
WIN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Gondor ally is Emery whistle
The nastiest shadow effect on round 1 would have been Ungoliant's Spawn (raise threat by 8 and take 3 damage, instead of 5 threat and no damage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
xanalor wrote:
I ended up not putting in the Maps (realized they cost 2 until you rescue the prisoner)

Wouldn't maps still be cost 1 even before you rescue prisoner?
There are many restrictions of being prisoner, but I thought you would still maintain the control of the prisoner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ellareth wrote:
Wouldn't maps still be cost 1 even before you rescue prisoner?
There are many restrictions of being prisoner, but I thought you would still maintain the control of the prisoner?

Not sure FFG has specifically addressed that question, but the FAQ notes that if all of a player's heroes except the captured one have been killed, that player is eliminated, which follows the rules that if you control no heroes you are eliminated.

Thematically (which is what I always fall back on when a rules question comes up that hasn't been answered mechanically), the hero is not there. He's been taken from you at the start of the scenario and isn't present. This isn't like Sacked! and other effects that effectively remove your hero; those heroes are still present, just limited in what you could do with them. The prisoner is placed face-down, for all intents and purposes out of the game (much like an encounter card that is "set aside" at the start of a scenario). That's my interpretation anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Ulon

Oxford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what is the revised deck content?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I found there were a couple games where my opening ally draw was light, so instead of the Spare Hood and Cloaks (which didn't do much for me other than serve as shadow effect fodder), I put in a couple Envoys of Pelargir. Every little bit of attack power makes a difference in this deck, and since both Eowyn and Glorfindel are nobles they are effectively a 1-cost ally.

Speaking of 1-cost allies... I don't think I mentioned it elsewhere, but a nice trick with this deck is to play Bofur for his reduced cost and then quest so that your total quest value is just 2 greater than what's in the staging area. Most cards in the Escape deck have a threat value of 2 or 3, which means if one of those comes up you will not quest successfully -- which means Bofur stays in play. It's worth the +1 threat for questing unsuccessfully (although don't do this when there's a Dungeon Jailor in the staging area!). Or even better, if you've got Eowyn you can pitch a card if need be to give yourself +1 wp and quest for 0. (As has been pointed out to me in one of these threads, questing for 0 is neither successful nor unsuccessful.)

Here's the most recent incarnation, which I'm now attempting to beat Nightmare Escape with. There's still some room to play around and experiment... maybe a third Arwen and/or Envoy, and if you've got three core sets, a third Unexpected Courage and/or Dwarven Tomb. But as is I'd say the list below is now up to an 80-85% win rate (er, against normal, not Nightmare).

HEROES: 21 starting threat
Eowyn
Frodo
Glorfindel

ALLIES
x2 Arwen Undomiel
x3 Bofur
x3 Northern Tracker
x3 Emery
x2 Envoy of Pelargir
x3 Ethir Swordsman
x3 Gandalf
x3 Pelargir Shipwright
x3 Silvan Refugee
x3 The Riddermark's Finest

ATTACHMENTS
x3 Ancient Mathom
x3 Light of Valinor
x3 Miruvor
x2 Unexpected Courage

EVENTS
x3 A Test of Will
x2 Dwarven Tomb
x3 Elrond's Counsel
x3 Stand and Fight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Reid
United Kingdom
Camberley
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next stop - Heroic Dol Goldur?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive deckbuilding!thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Stark
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice deck. Made some slights changes (only have one core set) and added Saruman. He was instrumental in putting the Nazgul out of play in the last round. Scored 104!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, indeed! 70% is really good.

Pure Spirit is one of the best options for this scenario for sure (my own attempts have been with a multi sphere deck using Spirit and Lore and around 50% win rate, but havn't used any of the newer cards since the first Hobbit saga expansion, so it might be possible to get that a little higher now; though, the mono-sphere approach likely offers better consistency... never got around trying that myself, since I liked the two-sphere approach too much and didn't want to skip the nice Lore cards).

Maybe I will try to finetune my old deck some further, but for now I'm having too much fun with the Black Riders campaign.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm just now reading through this to see how you took down Dol Guldur solo. wow I did have one question...
xanalor wrote:
TURN 2
Draw Ethir Swordsman
Play Northern Tracker
Raise threat to 34
Place 1 progress on Necromancer's Pass (1/2)
Reveal Tower Gate.
Fail Quest: 6 - 7
Raise threat to 35
End of turn, raise threat to 36

How come the Dol Guldur Beastmaster didn't engage on this turn? Was this just an oversight, or am I missing something about the rules for the objective guards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
Canada
flag msg tools
xanalor wrote:
a nice trick with this deck is to play Bofur for his reduced cost and then quest so that your total quest value is just 2 greater than what's in the staging area. Most cards in the Escape deck have a threat value of 2 or 3, which means if one of those comes up you will not quest successfully -- which means Bofur stays in play. It's worth the +1 threat for questing unsuccessfully

There is a window for Quest Actions after staging and before quest resolution. So you can actually wait until you see what is turned up by the encounter deck before putting Bofur into play. Timing it this way is safer if you are planning to fail the quest by a small amount. I overlooked Bofur myself for quite some time before I realized how good this makes him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.