Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am a backer of the amazing Tower Defense game, The King's Armory that is being funded on Kickstarter (24hrs to go). John Wrot!, the game designer, has partnered with BattleCON to offer some of its heroes in his game. They are all very cool looking, but I know nothing about them.

Please share some insight about the following characters. A little about their personality, strengths, and fighting style would be great!!

Eligor
Alexian
Runika
Udstad

Also, if you are inclined, be sure to check out the KS campaign, but hurry...it's almost over! The King's Armory Project

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eligor: counter attacker type, he plays defensively and waits for his opponent to leave him an opening.

Alexian: heavyweight type, he looks to focus some big hits and connect for a lot of damage but he is also has a strong defense.

Runika: makes use of artifacts that she can use in many different ways, sort of a Jane of all trades.

Unfortunately, I think Udstad is a War of Indines character and I only have Devastation. Someone else will have to enlighten you (and likely give you more info about the above).

I really wish I could back that project, it looks cool, but I can't back something without at least 3-4 days of consideration. I have a serious condition when it comes to knee-jerk reactions (I had pledged $150 and was sorting out about another $200 of addons within half an hour of seeing Shadows of Brimstone, a week later I'm not backing it because I remembered I spent over $300 on Myth and I don't like Western themes...). I have to give myself a few days to mull it over and I had no idea this existed until just now.

But I wish you luck and I hope you enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Actually, Udstad (specifically, Udstad piloted by Runika) is a boss character in Devastation of Indines, not a regular character. In game terms, he's Immobile, so he stays in one spot and can't be moved by other player's card effects. Presumably this just represents him being slow in comparison to humans, otherwise how would he get about?

There's an Indines wiki, so you can follow these links if you're interested:

http://indines.wikia.com/wiki/Eligor_Larington
http://indines.wikia.com/wiki/Runika_Zenanen
http://indines.wikia.com/wiki/Alexian_XXXVII

I believe that Alexian's King's Armory stats have already been posted, but in Devastation Alexian is actually extremely mobile. Well, when he's trying to advance at any rate. Unless you're a ranged character yourself, you're probably better off sticking close to him because his charges can be devastating. Personally, I find that Runika likes to kite at medium range.

In terms of story, Eligor and Runika are both on a quest to defeat the evil Dragon Queen Adjenna Callista. Another character on a separate quest to defeat Adjenna is Eligor's mechanical and arguably thematic* opposite, Shekhtur Lenmore, who is pictured fighting Eligor on a ton of the promotional material for Devastation.

* Eligor is a Templar with a holy relic sword which he modified to add a chain to. Shekhtur is a thief with an unholy demon relic bonded to her arm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, Udstad is a huge golem built by Runika; it seems like he can fight either on his own, or with her sitting in the cockpit and... piloting him? coaching him? helping him? I'm not positive what her role is when they fight together, actually. I'm pretty sure he's capable of independent thought, but he hasn't yet appeared as a solo character in any Indines games yet. He's just one of Runika's finishing moves when she fights solo ("Udstad Beam"), and "Runika & Udstad" is one of the bosses in Devastation.

Eligor is a heavyweight counterattacker, as others have described. In story terms, I get the impression he's fighting for vengeance and fame and because he wants to be SEEN as a hero.

Kevin mentioned Eligor's counterpart in the cover art-- she's fighting on the same side as him, but she's much less respectable and yet actually cares about doing the right thing, rather than being a Famous Hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is some cool stuff. The personalities and traits of characters seems to always hook you into a game. I won't be surprised to find myself wanting learn more about the BattleCON game, for the purpose of playing it!

It will be interesting to see how these characters get implemented in a Tower Defense platform.

Thanks for the responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Rose
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
sabbat00 wrote:
Wow, this is some cool stuff. The personalities and traits of characters seems to always hook you into a game. I won't be surprised to find myself wanting learn more about the BattleCON game, for the purpose of playing it!

It will be interesting to see how these characters get implemented in a Tower Defense platform.

Thanks for the responses!

I'm excited to play these in The King's Armory, too. I'll be keeping an eye on the next BattleCON game. These characters look great. I think I know someone who will really dig these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
grasa_total wrote:
Right, Udstad is a huge golem built by Runika; it seems like he can fight either on his own, or with her sitting in the cockpit and... piloting him? coaching him? helping him? I'm not positive what her role is when they fight together, actually. I'm pretty sure he's capable of independent thought, but he hasn't yet appeared as a solo character in any Indines games yet. He's just one of Runika's finishing moves when she fights solo ("Udstad Beam"), and "Runika & Udstad" is one of the bosses in Devastation.

He also has a Striker card in the Strikers expansion for Devastation of Indines, with the flavour text "Might I suggest the use of overwhelming force to resolve this?" And he's going to be in Pixel Tactics 3, whenever that comes out.

If you look at the wiki link, it says that golems were built for the purposes of fighting against the Dragons almost a millenium ago. It seems likely that she found and repaired Udstad, rather than built him. She is capable of designing a self aware golem core, but I don't think it's clear whether she created Udstad's golem core, or whether she learned how to do it by studying Udstad. Or possibly his golem core was damaged and she repaired it.

I suspect that if the Technomancy expansion stretch goal is reached for the Argent: the Consortium Kickstarter, that Runika will be in the game as a Voter or Supporter, but not as a playable candidate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool stuff!

This material sounds like it is begging for an RPG. Or are their RPG elements built into this game already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan B
United States
West Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been some discussion on The King's Armory comments thread about what character should be featured on Eligor's reinforcement card. What do you experts think?

Suggestions so far:

Magdelina Larington - because their cousins
Runika - since they team-up
Joal - monster hunter
Gaspar - looks awesome
Cesar - looks cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amaranth wrote:
It seems likely that ze found and repaired Udstad, rather than built zir.

Right you are! I had not realized that (or noticed it on the wiki) before.

Amaranth wrote:
I suspect that if the Technomancy expansion stretch goal is reached for the Argent: the Consortium Kickstarter, that Runika will be in the game as a Voter or Supporter, but not as a playable candidate.

I think I remember already seeing her on one of the voter cards when I got to play the Argent demo at BGG, but I don't entirely trust my memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryancb wrote:
There has been some discussion on The King's Armory comments thread about what character should be featured on Eligor's reinforcement card. What do you experts think?

Suggestions so far:

Joal - monster hunter
Gaspar - looks awesome
Cesar - looks cool

I believe Gaspar is a humanoid doppelganger trying to help an unknowable entity called the Nought destroy reality. Something like that. He and Eligor share very few goals beyond frowning a lot.

They do both seem really into frowning, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
grasa_total wrote:
bryancb wrote:

Suggestions so far:

Joal - monster hunter
Gaspar - looks awesome
Cesar - looks cool

I believe Gaspar is a humanoid doppelganger trying to help an unknowable entity called the Nought destroy reality. Something like that. He and Eligor share very few goals beyond frowning a lot.

And C├ęsar works for an organisation that goes looking for dangerous artifacts in order to lock them away where nobody (else) can get at them. I'm not sure he'd really be there to help Eligor.

grasa_total wrote:

They do both seem really into frowning, though.

But Gaspar looks so happy in the rulebook. Maybe it's just because he likes Finishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok?

I guess there is one in every bunch.

D. Brad Talton, Jr., the designer of your BattleCon and John Wrot! of The King's Armory are working together on that so-called "crappy" Kickstarter.

My original question is relevant and interesting to those of us who want to know about the characters we will be playing. As far as linking pertinent information, it is common practice here at BGG. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HyperionHuxley wrote:
These King's Armory shills are hilarious. No, I'm not going to back your crappy kickstarter.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HyperionHuxley wrote:
Multiple people have been "casually" linking to the King's Armory page. It's been happening all over BGG during the Kickstarter campaign. Those same people are thumbing each others posts. It's clearly advertising. Announcing the connection of battlecon characters with King's Armory is fine, and is not what I have a problem with.

Part of Kickstarter is to get the crowd involved in crowd funding. Its why there's backer avatars and, often, stretch goals for sharing X times, liking Y times and, in some, gaining Z fans on BGG. Of course people are going to share their excitement. Getting upset about it doesn't make much sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Part of Kickstarter is to get the crowd involved in crowd funding. Its why there's backer avatars and, often, stretch goals for sharing X times, liking Y times and, in some, gaining Z fans on BGG. Of course people are going to share their excitement. Getting upset about it doesn't make much sense.

Yeah. And I've found that backers who are really into a game will sometimes act way more shill-y than anybody associated with the campaign would want them to.

Excited backers don't want to post "hey, I really want to get other people into this game, admittedly in part for the stretch goals, but also because it seems like it'll be great, so I'm mentioning it at every opportunity!", even if that's true. So people act furtive and it makes everyone else uncomfortable.

This is part of why I really, really prefer KS games with a print-n-play. If I play it, I'm more realistic about its quality, and if I don't play it *but know I could have*, I'm more hesitant to get emotionally invested.

I dunno why it's so much easier to get hyped up about a KS game than some other random game I haven't played, but it seems to be true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
HyperionHuxley wrote:
I believe my response was that I thought it was "hilarious". I don't think I'm upset. (Maybe a little?)

The way I looked at it was that it cost me nothing to answer the questions honestly, and to possibly get some people interested in the game I backed on Kickstarter and play by forum a fair amount. Plus, discussing the characters in the World of Indines is kind of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan B
United States
West Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter is over now, so hopefully that appeases people concerned about shills and what not. What has yet to be determined is which Indines character will serve as Eligor's reinforcement. (To clarify in The King's Armory a reinforcement is a powerful one-off special effect. Eligor's will feature another Indines character doing something thematically appropriate while helping to defend the King's armory). Who should be on the card and what effect would be appropriate for them to do?

E.g. Runika - uses giant hand to knock flying creature out of the sky and deal ? damage.

Based on the comments above, Gaspar (despite the similarity in frowns) does not seem to fit. Cesar protects dangerous artifacts, one of which for the sake of his inclusion, could be located in the king's armory. Runika makes sense, but is already included in the game. Joal is a monster hunter, so he may help defend the armory from the monsters attacking it. Magdelina is Eligor's cousin, but I thought her morality became questionable during the events at the end of war.

Is all of that correct? Is there another character that makes more sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flipping through the Devastation characters, the two associated with the nation of Jeffreys who aren't already in King's Armory are:

Kajia - A dryad whose tree is dead; most dryads in similar situations become evil, while Kajia has redoubled her resolve to defend the forest of Jeffreys.

Clive - A boy from a rich family whose consciousness was transferred to a robot body after a fire. Now he's a hero with rocket boots!

To non-BattleCON players, a corrupted dryad supporting Eligor with bees might seem... kind of weird? So probably Clive or Joal would make the most sense, and I lean toward Joal, who already sort of looks like the kind of guy who would drop in, fight monsters, and then vanish into thin air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.