Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking and planning a large participation game with DS9 but I've realised that I'm going to have to create some special upgrades to help it survive as it's too easy to destroy/nullify it.

When I think back to OP1 and how I tried so hard to avoid being attacked by the Station I cringe, it should have been anon-entity without having to blow it up - which is generally what seemed to happen at my event.

Even with full shields it's useless in the game without you having to create new rules so it can be played.

So I just wondered if anyone had played with or against it and had it play a significant role in the game?

Primarily what I'm concerned about is what roll it's supposed to play in Month 6 given it's fragility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Powell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Like all the scenarios so far, it will probably just be more of an annoyance and clutter up the playing area. I've thought about treating the pylons more like their own individual aspect of the base, more akin to the Orbital Weapon Platforms. Destroying it's main stats will only nullify it's 'turret' attack. The station won't be destroyed until all the pylons and the main hull stats are reduced to zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you treat them as different ships i.e. 3 pylon ships and a Hull ship?

But like I said you're having to think up new rules to make it playable.

At the moment you just need to shoot up into range 1 and hit it with an Energy Dissipator. It gets an ED Token and can never get rid of it for the rest of the game as it can't move. It spends the rest of the game unable to raise shields or attack. Hit it with a Ferengi EM Pulse and it's unable to take actions for the rest of the game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Powell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, it's basically four separate static ships/units. The main hull, which constitutes the normal stats, and the weapon platforms which are placed on the pylons. I've also considered an action called 'Redistribute Shields' where you can remove 2 shield tokens from any part of the station and place them anywhere else on it. Say one of your pylons/OWPs is down to one shield, you can take them off another pylon, or even the main hull and place them there. Id say they'd have to be disabled until the end of the turn and you can never place more than the max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Beadle
msg tools
Yes a freind and me played a standard 100 point build game, he came with a Dominion Fleet of Kraxon, Breen Ship and Jem Hadar Attack Ship versus my DS9 and Defiant build, I had Quantum Torpedoes, Picard and Sulu on DS9 and Sisko and Anti Matter Mines.

To me DS9 can be made to be very hard I destroyed him quite quickly, although he did decide to park his attack ship on DS9 for 2 turns!

Quantums and Battle stations can prove devastating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirtybadger wrote:
Yes a freind and me played a standard 100 point build game, he came with a Dominion Fleet of Kraxon, Breen Ship and Jem Hadar Attack Ship versus my DS9 and Defiant build, I had Quantum Torpedoes, Picard and Sulu on DS9 and Sisko and Anti Matter Mines.

To me DS9 can be made to be very hard I destroyed him quite quickly, although he did decide to park his attack ship on DS9 for 2 turns!

Quantums and Battle stations can prove devastating.

It's a lot of points in the Space Station and it can be nullified in one turn with an energy dissipator that just has to hit once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:

So I just wondered if anyone had played with or against it and had it play a significant role in the game?

Here's a video batrep of a 600-point battle involving DS9:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lwCP6YvwMw

Here's a video batrep of a 100-point battle involving a Klingon-controlled Nor-class station which not only survives but destroys the enemy starships itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaZkVnJBisA

Here's a video batrep of a 540-point battle involving a Klingon-controlled Nor-class station:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ae95GTixE

I really enjoy playing the station and am gaming with it this Saturday. I'll post the batreps up this weekend. Plus, I put the batteries in it this time so it will have lights and sound effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Beadle
msg tools
Well yes there are always cards that can take it apart very easily but im sure if your trying to put a participation game together the overall idea would be to make it as thematic as possible and not just lets tank DS9...any muppet can do that!

I think your correct to put some of your own ideas and house rules into play but honestly i would not go overboard, with the right cards DS9 can be very competitive in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Powell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Captain Styles and the Defiant's cloaking device, for example.

On the upside, it can't be hurt by Cloaked Mines. So there's that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirtybadger wrote:
Well yes there are always cards that can take it apart very easily but im sure if your trying to put a participation game together the overall idea would be to make it as thematic as possible and not just lets tank DS9...any muppet can do that!

I think your correct to put some of your own ideas and house rules into play but honestly i would not go overboard, with the right cards DS9 can be very competitive in my opinion.

Yes I didn't want to cripple it but I also didn't want to not put in cards like the Energy Dissipator just because if they used it against the station it can't get rid of it.

I also didn't want to just have things like this happen during the game and it be the first time I came across it.

I've been thinking about it and I might do one or two Bajoran crew cards.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Disable this card during the end phase in order to remove 1 token from your ship or station.

This would allow the opponent to benefit from Energy Dissipators and the Ferengi EM pulse for the turn they are used (regardless of relative Captain skills) but would remove the effect on the subsequent turn.

I was considering making it only playable on a ship/station with a Bajoran Affiliation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Burns
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be really nice if we got a DS9 pack we could buy, with the plastic model. They can use the same card as the free ones we've got. Then they could include crew cards specifically for the station that help it survive. A Jadzia that can restore shields, a Miles who can extend it's range, a Bashir who can allow an extra action, stuff like that. Maybe even an "emergency thrusters" that allows you to shift the station at the cost of a hull point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't done it yet, but I've long considered DS9 to have a lot of potential for making a Capture the Flag scenario. A 3' x 5' play field with each side having a Nor-class station at one end.

I proposed this way back after OP1:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13561682

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.