United Kingdom
Crawley
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Pick a card, any card!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I've never played it, but have bought a copy and wanted to play with my wife and two children ( 8 and 6) . I understand this can be a pretty cut-throuat game at times so was wondering if there is any advice for playing this with kids, to keep it fun for them.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a gentle voice...as you cut their throat arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dean
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the major cut-throat moments comes when people sell out their allies in order to negotiate. One could always adopt the houserule that allies go home on a negotiate (as they do on a deal) if it seems to be a problem but I'm not sure if that's necessary - kinda depends on the temperaments and tolerances involved.

I'd say it is a good game to play with kids, actually. They tend to handle the more chaotic elements very well - less set in their ways and expecting the situation never to change, I guess - and there are a lot of great skills to learn here, like reading other people and how to talk people into things/resist that fast-talk yourself.

One element that we've found actually helps keep it from getting too personal is the way the Destiny Deck lines up your opponents. That seems to go a long way towards keeping anybody from feeling too picked on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Liouville
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Psitticine wrote:
One of the major cut-throat moments comes when people sell out their allies in order to negotiate. One could always adopt the houserule that allies go home on a negotiate (as they do on a deal) if it seems to be a problem but I'm not sure if that's necessary - kinda depends on the temperaments and tolerances involved.

I'd say it is a good game to play with kids, actually. They tend to handle the more chaotic elements very well - less set in their ways and expecting the situation never to change, I guess - and there are a lot of great skills to learn here, like reading other people and how to talk people into things/resist that fast-talk yourself.

One element that we've found actually helps keep it from getting too personal is the way the Destiny Deck lines up your opponents. That seems to go a long way towards keeping anybody from feeling too picked on.

I love CE but it is not a good game to play with a 6 year old or the average 8 year old for that matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing CE with my boys (now aged 12 and 10) since the FFG version was released, so about 5 years now ... and it's been one of their favorite games. Now after so many plays they get into the cutthroat aspects of it. Even though they are both really good sports and we've had few attitude problems when it comes to games, I'd still suggest easing them in to much of those aspects of the game.

Some examples (and there are probably more others could suggest too) ... When they are first starting, don't invite them to ally only to throw a negotiate card. Play so that you never lose your alien power, even if you have less than 3 home colonies. Pick and choose some of the aliens, and especially the flares that will be put into the game/deck ... for example, use card hording powers rather than card destroying ones and use flares that don't spite another player.

And most of all, especially while they are learning ... be the one that takes the brunt of the cutthroat-ing (I know that's not a word) so that everyone has fun at your expense and they can see how to take it and move on. In other words, get them used to playing the game and having fun before introducing aspects that might hurt a feeling or two. That way it becomes a light game for them at first while the work up to some of the deeper aspects of it.

All that being said, you know the makeup of your kids better than anyone here ... so in the end, it might just be a judgement call for you and your wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Sharp
United Kingdom
Crawley
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Pick a card, any card!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice so far, I really appreciate it.

It isn't helping that I haven't played it myself, so don't really understand the way things work perfectly. I think I need to watch a few Lets Play type videos about it.

R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam's advice is excellent, and mirrors what I did. I started my youngest when she was maybe 8, I guess, and we never had a problem with anybody feeling brutalized. I reigned in my play so as to keep it fun for the kids. It's really just like anything else ... the firs time you play football with a child, you don't grind his face into the dirt. You set aside your own desires in order to mentor the kids into the game; as they grow and learn, you start to unleash yourself. And then someday they kick your butt when you were trying your best, and it's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember: teach them now and they'll make more formidable opponents later. If you wait until they're 10, they won't have years of experience in how to beat you. Ultimately that will result in a less satisfying gameplay experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.