23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Cheap Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiki Wiki
msg tools
Hello,

We love board games, however, these can eat away at savings with purchases of thirty dollar games such as Settlers of Catan, Pandemic, Dominion, and Puerto Rico.

Does anybody know of some fairly cheap ($15 and under) family games?

Thank you all for your time in responding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always try Looney Pyramids; countless of games for a cheap price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirty dollars is actually on the lower side of things. There are games that easily run twice as much. I wish games were cheaper as well.

Hey, That's My Fish! is a good affordable game that plays up to 4 people.

Love Letter is supposed to be pretty good and shouldn't hurt the wallet too much either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EBay and thrift stores are alternatives
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mb
BANG! The Dice Game just came out not too long ago. It's $15 MSRP, but you can find it for $10-$12. It's a dice version of a card game that's been around for a few years that is pretty popular. I played the dice game a few days ago and found it pretty interesting. It feels like you have a decent amount of control over your turn, more so than the card game anyway.

It has a wild west theme and you essentially shoot / kill each other to win the game, but the card art is cartoony and not violent at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SdJ Winners Hanabi and Qwirkle (especially the travel version) ought to be pretty affordable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
For a larger family The Resistance:Avalon (5-10p, around $14).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't get much better bang for the buck than Love Letter, IMO. You can find it for pretty cheap, but make sure you sleeve the cards! It's addicitive and will see a ton of play!

Also King of Tokyo as a pretty nice price point if you find it online. Very fun, and will play up to 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also highly recommend Love Letter as a fast playing, very good game that everyone can enjoy. And it's only $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made this list a while back for the best games under $20, then I sorted them by the number of votes they all got, and put video reviews on each of the top entries. Pretty useful for your request:

Games to Help You Get Free Shipping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
Tons of stuff out there for stocking stuffers:

Battleground...splurge and get two decks.
Bohnanza
Coloretto
Dungeon Roll
Epic Dungeoneer: Call of the Lich Lord
Forbidden Island
Friday
Guillotine
Hey, That's My Fish!
Lightning: Midway – June 4th to June 6th, 1942
Love Letter
Mr. Jack Pocket
No Thanks!
Pocket Battles: Celts vs. Romans
Saboteur
Summoner Wars: Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs...for just a few dollars more and worth it.
Summoner Wars: Guild Dwarves vs Cave Goblins...ditto
The Great Dalmuti
The Resistance
Tichu
Timeline: Inventions
Toe-to-Toe Nu'klr Combat with the Rooskies
Ultimate Werewolf: Compact Edition
Yahtzee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Friday

Fairy Land

Archaeology: The Card Game

Black Sheep

Hotel Samoa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kimmel
United States
FPO
AP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza would be my first choice, even over Love Letter. I think LL is great (and it's a completely different kind of game), but Bohnanza is simply a great family game, accessible and fun for all. It's also less than $15 at Amazon.com right now.

One thing you might consider is looking into Print-n-Play games. I have been really pleased with the results I've gotten from the Printer's Studio, but of course Artscow is also an option. A couple of Decktet decks would give you quite a few options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Koon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cost to fun is a tough thing to gauge. But here are some tips, also, for a couple I will break your $15 limit, deal with it. =P

Tichu is one of my favorite games with friends. Some people don't like it, but after a few games, I bet I could play Tichu for a weekend tournament easy. Should be $15 or so.

Hanabi is a fantastic co-op game. Lots of working together as no one can run the game. Retail is $11 or something close to that.

Love Letter is a really fast and simple game that will only run you $10.

Cribbage Euchre Spades etc. If you are penny pinching, finding a good set of Traditional card games is an awesome way to give you more to do with less.

Coloretto should run $15 or so, and is a nice, simple, fast set collection game. Easy to teach, easy to play. Tons of fun.

The Resistance or its Avalon sequel are great large group games. 5-10 players works, but its best at about 7-8. Easy to explain, but hard to "get." Resistance is awesome and great for bigger groups.

On a side note, there are some good apps for iPad and such out there if you have one of those. Some are good pass and plays for smaller groups. Not ideal, but I still want to point out the possibility.

Now, I will push your price range a little bit, because I think it can really help to know a few bigger games that you will get your money out of by far. Your example list is great, I could play most of those a hundred times (and probably have with Dominion) and still like them.

Race for the Galaxy is a heavier game with a bit of a barrier to entry, but it is well worth it. I definitely have over a hundred plays in this by now (I stopped counting over a year ago at 60). At about $25 on Amazon and such, it is probably my least money for most time/plays. In not, it is up against Tichu.

San Juan is a lighter Race for the Galaxy. A card game of Puerto Rico, this is a fun and fast game that should be about $20

Citadels is a lighter game, but it is versatile in player count and my mom really likes it. Should be about $20. Not my favorite, but worth mentioning.

Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are $20 and $25ish relatively, and are good co-op games. As you have Pandemic, Forbidden Island may be unnecessary as it is a lighter version of the same game, but Desert is different enough that I really like it. If you like Pandemic this is not a bad way to go.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Note: I made my choices by looking at my favorite of my small games. Some are more than you want, but I put those up assuming that if you want something that lasts a long time you will want to go there. However, if you want something new and different for the lower price, you can find all sorts of games out there. My lower priced contributions to this list are all the best of the best in my opinion.

If you are looking to just play some new stuff, sometimes renting a game from a game store is possible and the best way to do it. I have two places in the area that allow rentals and I spend a lot of time learning them and playing the games there as they are a great way to try before buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IOTA (I paid under $7 after buying 4 copies from Kohls . discount paid for my copy and shipping, the others are stocking-stuffers)

regular card deck games like Nertz

check into all the games you can play with a numbered deck like Category 5! (I like to play Pacal)

shop for used games - many are near mint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen More was pretty cheap, when I picked it up, dunno if 15$ will be enough, it is a real board game (ok, tile laying) (no card game/...) though!

I've o idea, what the current price (in.... where actually, USA?) is.

Second-hand and dealing old games you don't need any more (if any) for new ones are alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanthi Gonzales
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Boogie, the world's cutest dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Eat Poop You Cat for free if you have pencils and scratch paper (AKA Telephone Pictionary). If you want to pay for it, it is called Telestrations.

Another cheap, fun game is Station Master.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Cannon
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation is a great game and you can find it on Amazon for under $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taylor
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For cheap fun games, get Roll For It!. Calliope Games just released it. Check Amazon.com or your local game store. $11.99 or so and they have 2 sets. It is a fun card/dice game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Loot

Fun and cheap Reiner Knizia game.

Can usually find it in Target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.