my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you don't visit ConsimWorld's C&C: Napoleonics forum, Richard Borg posted the following noteworthy comments there:

Quote:
A couple of notes as players make their way into the Austrian Army expansion.

In regard to the Quick Reference Card or lack of same in the Austrian expansion, after seeing these cards used in action a number of times, I realized that they were actually hindering the process of learning the basics of the game. In addition, less experienced players would refer to these cards even for the most simple of combat situations, which tended to really slow play. GMT went along with my request to leave these out of the Austrian Army expansion.

The Austrian Light Infantry reference card should read: Range Fire Dice Moving: ½ die per block round down +1 die. The rules for Austrian Light Infantry have this correct. Please adjust your Austrian reference card.

An Austrian Line Infantry unit that is going to form square must use a Battalion Mass Counter. The infantry in square track and the numbered counters are only used to track all other Austrian infantry units; Light, Grenzer, Grenadier and Militia that are going to form square.

It is not a mistake an Austrian Grenadier Infantry unit is +1 die in range combat and +1 die in melee.

Finally, check out the excellent Commands & Colors Napoleonic web site for the latest news and information about the game. http://www.ccnapoleonics.net/

Enjoy!

Richard Borg

Edit: Highlighted correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
earache wrote:
In regard to the Quick Reference Card or lack of same in the Austrian expansion, after seeing these cards used in action a number of times, I realized that they were actually hindering the process of learning the basics of the game.

Ho yes! I noticed that from the very first day so TY so much Mr Borg for the couragous change!

GG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Finally, check out the excellent Commands & Colors Napoleonic web site for the latest news and information about the game. http://www.ccnapoleonics.net/

I would also Highlight this part, to honor Alessandro´s great work thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
What a condescending post from Borg!

For our C&C group its clear: its very disappointing that he didnt include the quick reference. We use the references regularly, find it higly practicable, especially compared to the long winded unit descriptions in the rule book and our game is quite of the right speed we enjoy. We dont need any patronizing advice from him to change/speed up our way to play.

angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he's pretty spot-on here. Many times player aids actually stop players from learning the basic rules of the game that are used to generate the tables. I put away the references awhile back because I had very similar experiences when teaching the game.

Not including the aid at all is perhaps a little bold, but I'm sure a file will crop up here on the geek in no time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
I think he's pretty spot-on here. Many times player aids actually stop players from learning the basic rules of the game that are used to generate the tables. I put away the references awhile back because I had very similar experiences when teaching the game.

Not including the aid at all is perhaps a little bold, but I'm sure a file will crop up here on the geek in no time.

Well I perfectly accept that both players decide for their play not to use the playing aids for whatever reason. They bought it with good money and they can use the content in any way they want.

But its totally unacceptable that the publisher/designer of a game decide this question because he has some indifferent feeling that the players dont learn the game fast enough or "correctly" (whatever he means with "correct" is its own question) because of it. As if it would be his business to lecture the customers.

Thats patronizing and I am feeling offended by this action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's quite like that. Borg clearly has feelings about how players should learn a game (the opposite of indifference) and I don't think we should read any condensation in these feelings.

Designers and developers make all kinds of decisions about how players should learn a game. They may alter the layout of a rule book or the arrangement of player aids or decide to remove the aids entirely.

And, there's nothing wrong with giving gamer's a lecture. After all, isn't that what a game is anyway? It's a voluntary lecture, to be sure, but, we take our seats and listen to the rules all the same. He's just altering the presentation to emphasize the fundamentals of the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that GMT only started including the Quick Reference Charts with the expansions and perhaps the second printing of the base game. The original base game never had them, so I never learned how to use them. By now, I would think that people would no longer need those Reference Charts as they would have internalized the various rules/bonuses. If they haven't, then perhaps Mr Borg's feelings ring true and the Reference Charts are being substituted for learning the rules and using the National Unit Reference Charts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RBorg is dead wrong in concerning the desirability of the quick reference cards. Many a family member (including my wife) would be lost without those cards. Whether they are too much a crutch for a "gamer" is immaterial. For the non-gamer, casual player, they are a Godsend. I had thought their inclusion in previous Napoleonics versions a move of inspired genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi
France
Paris
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The reference card given with the game are really, really bad. Witch means they should be made better, not taken away.

I would prefer something like this :
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/89033/deluxe-cc-napoleonic...

Or like the cards used here :
http://www.ccnapoleonics.net/file/23-ccn-initiation-kit.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wygo wrote:

These are the ones that I use. They summarize the rules without doing the math for you. I don't need a chart to tell me what what 4/2 (round up) is, but when I haven't played the game in a while it's nice to refer to the chart to remind me what the bonus and penalties are.

I just wish the creator would update the charts and include the Spanish, and now the Austrian, armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferro Ostil
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that doing the math on the quick-reference sheets was unhelpful. I've gone through the game and summarized unit distinctions by type and nationality, if anyone is interested.

That post also links to a google doc spreadsheet that can act as a quick reference card with all nationalities. There are three tabs, organized by unit, by category, and a summary that shows up national differences. I use a print out of the first sheet as my quick reference in play, but after running through the analysis I don't need a reference much anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MGabriel wrote:

That post also links to a google doc spreadsheet that can act as a quick reference card with all nationalities.

Can I make a small suggestion for the spreadsheet? That you set the heading rows to frozen so that they stay on the page when scrolling down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferro Ostil
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded the files. Edit: they're available now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hexy Tommy
Poland
Warszawa/Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And once again GMT shows big naked bottom to players around the world!angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Keller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I never cared for the Quick Reference Cards and never used them. I just used the Unit Reference Cards, which are still included in the games, and I soon had the die roll modifiers internalized, so I didn't need to use any cards anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but most of the time, I can't my wife to play the Austrians or Prussians, precisely because they don't have the Quick Reference cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the world of Richard Borg, and his wife Sandy. Wr've had great times at many conventions. And I'll continue to keep buying Memoir 44 and Battle Cry (if there are ever are any more expansions there), but I've bought my last GMT C&C expansion. If they can't spare a Quick Reference Guide for these tired old 57-year-old eyes, screw 'em. You bet it slows the game down a bit---ALL of the block games with decals that look the same at a distance of , oh 5 feet or so, are gonna move slower than the FFG or AH miniatures in the other C&C games. I have a hard enough time keeping up wit the differences between "line" and "light", so you bet your ass I use the reference card EVERY TURN. As do my equally old, visually impaired opponents. It was fun while it lasted CMT, but no Quick Reference Card? No more $50+/expansion. But you got your money's worth froim me--I had all of them thru Austrian Army, which I'll try to sell on e-bay and recoup some of my losses.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.