Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: Ramen loverMicrobadge: Dice (d20) fanMicrobadge: Graphic DesignerMicrobadge: The Resistance: Avalon fan
I'm getting some quotes back from manufacturers for custom dice. Obviously I want dice with an indented impression, not just printed on, and I thought I'd be getting molded dice, but the manufacturer gave me the option of engraved or printed. Can anyone enlighten me on the differences between engraved and molded dice? My presumption is that engraved dice would take more labour to make but have a significantly smaller MOQ, and molded might be cheaper for 10,000s but the initial setup would be quite costly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: PowerBot Dice fanMicrobadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Meeple Syrup Show fanMicrobadge: 2019 9 Card Nanogame PnP Design Contest participantMicrobadge: Drive Thru Video Review fan
kotzuryang wrote:
I'm getting some quotes back from manufacturers for custom dice. Obviously I want dice with an indented impression, not just printed on, and I thought I'd be getting molded dice, but the manufacturer gave me the option of engraved or printed. Can anyone enlighten me on the differences between engraved and molded dice? My presumption is that engraved dice would take more labour to make but have a significantly smaller MOQ, and molded might be cheaper for 10,000s but the initial setup would be quite costly.
You used the word "Printed" this means silk screened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Gargoyle's Quest" Gameboy, 1990
Microbadge: I tried to assemble the Utopia Engine!Microbadge: Spirits of the Wild fanMicrobadge: I love ArizonaMicrobadge: Earthbound fanMicrobadge: Earthbound fan - Working through the night Jeff fixed the Broken Bazooka. After being fixed, the Broken bazooka became the Heavy Bazooka.
It might just be a language issue. Both you and the manufacturer are talking about the same thing: dice with flat surfaces and dice with debossed surfaces. The the technicalities of the manufacturing process shouldn't be that important as long as you get the product you want.

But as far as (injection) molded dice vs. engraved dice, I imagine engraved dice would be higher quality because you can start with a very nice die and cut the detail in, whereas a custom tooled, injection molded die could end up using a cheaper plastic (like ABS or polypropylene) that would give it a light weight, cheap feel.

aVoidGames wrote:
You used the word "Printed" this means silk screened.
It could also refer to tampo printing, spray painting (using a mask), and heat transfer. I think tampo printing is the most likely option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: Ramen loverMicrobadge: Dice (d20) fanMicrobadge: Graphic DesignerMicrobadge: The Resistance: Avalon fan
Thanks for the insight, Nick. As far as printing, it doesn't matter either way as ink on a flat surface is just going to get worn off over time, so the printing process doesn't matter either way.

With the price and MOQ, it is definitely engraved, but you're right, the debossed surface is what matters. My mind was more trailing down the path of pushing for molded dice now to reduce future costs for reorders, but that's putting the cart way before the horse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls