Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Suggested new game(s) for my group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Spencer
msg tools
Okay, I'm going to lay this out in as simple of means as possible. I've recently managed to attain my goal of piquing my Pathfinder/3.X group's interest in gaming beyond pen and paper RPGs.

Since our general gaming night is being planned for the "off weekend" between our bi-weekly RPG sessions, I expect our attendance will be hit and miss. As such, games for 3-6 players will probably be ideal.

So far the group has acquired Cutthroat Caverns, Fluxx, Dominion, L5R CCG cards, Magic CCG cards, Risk, Risk 2210, Tenjo, VTES cards, Netrunner and Munchkin.

The consensus the group has come to is that they want meatier and more serious games. Games that incorporate more strategy and have more interaction between players in the vein of alliances, betrayals, etc seem to be a common request. Board games do seem slightly preferred, but no so much as to rule out other styles of games entirely.

That said, I've been looking over Fantasy Flight's board game selection and brought up a few games to the group. I'm thinking that Arkham Horror, Warrior Knights, Cadwallon and Descent could potentially be good fits. I've shown the group the reviews on this site for them, but they still have some reservations about the games based upon price per game.

In conclusion, I was hoping to get some insight as to whether the four games I listed would be good choices as well as some possible suggestions of other games. My thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with Cadwallon, but the other three should be a good fit. They are very thematic and tell rich stories like role players would appreciate. I would also suggest Twilight Imperium 3. It is the most grandoise game I know of, telling an epic space saga. As role players, they probably won't mind that it takes 5+ hours to play, which is the only complaint I have ever heard about it. It is an amazing game.

Rex: Final days of an Empire might be another good choice.

If you're willing to move a little ways away from the narrative, some Eurogames might fit the bill. They can be very serious and meaty games, but most don't have a lot of player interaction. Other people might be better at suggesting good Euros than I.

Wargames might be yet another route you could try. I haven't played any of them myself, but they definitely look like deep, strategic games with lots of interaction. I hear Memoir 44 is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent will have you playin one-against-all, similar to RPG fashion. One player is the evil overlord, the rest all work together to try and defeat him. He will often interrupt the heroes actions to foil their plans. If you want a game that involves modular boards for a new scenario every time, a campaign-style epic storyline, and has a bit of an RPG feel, BUT involves tactical and strategic planning and decision making, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is a solid choice.

But you said you want alliances and betrayals. You really won't get this from Descent. The only way to get that is by playing an all-against-all game with attacking for territory involved.

I recommend three:

Struggle of Empires (heavy-medium - light-heavy) - You need at least 5 to fully enjoy this game. But as far as alliances, betrayals, and heavy interaction goes, this is one of the best. It's very Euro driven (hello Wallace), but it's dependent on attacking enough that the interaction is thick.

Kemet (medium - medium-heavy) - If you feel they are going to need a little more "theme" in the game, then Kemet is your baby. It's a little less common to form any kind of alliances, but perhaps if one player gets ahead, you'll talk amongst the other on how you will all bring him back. Mostly, it's a marvelous battle game with almost zero luck involved. The technology system is amazing fun and creates countless possibilities.

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) (heavy) - With this one it all depends on how long you're willing to sit down and play. The first game you play will take a little over an hour per player. It's fair to say that once everyone at the table knows how to play, and you don't have any AP-prone players, you can play it in an hour per player. BUT, it's got EVERYTHING. Alliances, backstabbery, negotiation, trade, empire building, tactical planning, multiple-turn strategizing, space battles, etc, etc. There's a reason it's long. If you can get support for this beast, it's the way to go. But getting support from a group is the hardest step in getting it to the table.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Spencer
msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions. I sent a link to this post to the group and Twilight Imperium and that has actually gotten some pretty good feedback from them (aside from the expected "but it's so expensive"). Kemet got some positive response as well, but nowhere near the extent that TI did.

Also, while I am interested in wargaming and have played 40k and Warhammer Fantasy a bit, that's one genre that this group is probably never going to get into. The interest in it immediately died when it got to the part of the conversation where I was said, "it's pretty cool cuz you get to assemble and paint your own army".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bönicke
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent is a good pick and we also play it with our pen & paper group. But since you mentioned meatier games which feature alliances, betrayal and backstabbing you may want to have a look at the classic Diplomacy or if you happen to be fans of The Song of Ice and Fire books and/or TV show you might enjoy A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) very much. Sadly, I haven't played it myself yet, since we are usually less than 6 people but if you can get at least 5 people to the table it really mirrors all the intrigues and betrayals in gameplay as I hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they Risk gets any more than a 50/50 from the players, then you would love Risk Legacy.
Ongoing world built up based on the events that happen as you play each mission/game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.