Scott Krebbeks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got into the board gaming hobby this past summer, and am starting to build a small collection of games. My main opponents are my daughters (aged 10, 11, and 13), and there is a local group who meets at my FLGS that I've joined a few times.

I just stumbled across VASSAL and the concept seems really cool, especially if I want to scratch my gaming itch when there's nobody to play with.

Do many people use it? There weren't many posts in the Computer Based Gaming forum about it. There sure seems to be a boatload of game modules available to play!

Thanks for any light you can shed on this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal has been simply fantastic for me, especially for my wargaming itch. Here are some great helpful links that I've been able to coordinate games on.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vassalwargamers/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VassalStrategyGamers/

Also, don't forget about PBeM. You can play games via email. Not all games work, but I've learned to play quite a few game via email (and dropbox). Here is another fantastic site I've been able to find quite a few PBeM games on.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/115364/subscription-th...

Good luck and have some fun. Vassal is the next best thing to a live game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Baker
United States
Carlsbad
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Hey-You Looked! Been on BGG for a couple years and just getting around to this...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal has made a huge difference in my gaming world-! I imagine, as long as you give it a little time- not much since there is already a huge library of games to choose from- you will have lots of fun!
Cal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yucata.de is also nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I joined an NFL Strategy league on Vassal this year. It's an online version of this board game, which I enjoyed playing when I was younger and still own: NFL Strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VASSAL works, but it is quite clunky. With that said, I do love it and have made a tonne of solitaire modules for it. There is a group called Voice Gamers Guild that does try to meet up to play games online with voice. I think you should check it out.

And Dave, we need to sit down and play Manoeuvre again. I just have to wait to get my computer back when we move into our new house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.