Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in finding a medieval warfare system similar in complexity to Decision Games' Battles of the Ancient World. I like to have a system that would give me a smattering of historical simulation and give me the overall feel of the battle. I have tried Men of Iron, but it just has not grabbed me. I also tried the Swords of Sovereignty series. Both of those system weary me a bit with DRMs.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancient Battles Deluxe, despite its name, also covers many medieval and dark-age battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Ancient Battles Deluxe, despite its name, also covers many medieval and dark-age battles.

I did try that system. Two strikes against it: 1. The components, maps and counters, are ugly (perhaps it will get an upgrade); 2. The melee system drives me nuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Dunno 'bout GBAW, but the Men of Iron games are reasonably simple.

For a little lighter, there's the SPI Great Medieval Battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple to try:

Au fil de l'épée is a series from Vae Victis. Originally in French but there are English translations. The rules are online, so you can check them out and see if you like them. Vae Victis also does the Champs de Bataille system which uses a system similar to the De Bellis Multitudinis miniatures game. You should be able to download these rules as well.

Royalists & Roundheads System. Unfortunately, the BGG system name is based on their English Civil War rules, but there are modules going back as far as the 1000's including the Hastings period and the Crusades. This series is long out of print, but these games show up on eBay all the time.

I was going to suggest BattleLore, but I see you already own it. My last couple of medieval battles have been playing BattleLore with the medieval rules in BattleLore: The Hundred Years' War – Crossbows & Polearms and BattleLore: Code of Chivalry and using 15mm figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simplified Great Battles of History system... Sure it has many more ancient than medieval titles, but the system works fine for the medieval era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="kentreuber"]A couple to try:

Au fil de l'épée is a series from Vae Victis. Originally in French but there are English translations. The rules are online, so you can check them out and see if you like them. Vae Victis also does the Champs de Bataille system which uses a system similar to the De Bellis Multitudinis miniatures game. You should be able to download these rules as well.

Royalists & Roundheads System. Unfortunately, the BGG system name is based on their English Civil War rules, but there are modules going back as far as the 1000's including the Hastings period and the Crusades. This series is long out of print, but these games show up on eBay all the time.

I was going to suggest BattleLore, but I see you already own it. My last couple of medieval battles have been playing BattleLore with the medieval rules in BattleLore: The Hundred Years' War – Crossbows & Polearms and BattleLore: Code of Chivalry and using 15mm figures.

[/q

Hmmm...Royalists and Roundheads looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
I am interested in finding a medieval warfare system similar in complexity to Decision Games' Battles of the Ancient World. I like to have a system that would give me a smattering of historical simulation and give me the overall feel of the battle. I have tried Men of Iron, but it just has not grabbed me. I also tried the Swords of Sovereignty series. Both of those system weary me a bit with DRMs.

Any thoughts?

I would suggest trying a few games of 'Men of Iron'. The DRM's become second nature after a few plays ... You are not going to find many games simpler, new games are coming out and there is quite a following in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
De Bellis Antiquitatis is a set of minis rules rather than a boardgame, but it may be the sort of thing you're looking for. Very playable, clean, simple rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeb123 wrote:
atsgamer wrote:

Any thoughts?

I would suggest trying a few games of 'Men of Iron'. The DRM's become second nature after a few plays ... You are not going to find many games simpler, new games are coming out and there is quite a following in the series.

Maybe it was just the battle I was doing. Falkirk is not that exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Dunno 'bout GBAW, but the Men of Iron games are reasonably simple.

I've only played Infidel, but based on that, I'd second Men of Iron. Easy to get into, quick and fun to play, and yet enough meat on the bones to satisfy the discerning wargamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piergennaro Federico
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I counsel you Guelphs and Ghibellines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
atsgamer wrote:
jeb123 wrote:
atsgamer wrote:

Any thoughts?

Maybe it was just the battle I was doing. Falkirk is not that exciting.

No. It's not. If you have MOI, try one of the battles where
both sides can move. If not, Infidel is probably even more interesting,
with more focus on true medieval battles. MOI was meant to showcase a
peculiar transition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good counsel Enrico and point well taken regarding purpose of MOI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Pariseau wrote:
De Bellis Antiquitatis is a set of minis rules rather than a boardgame, but it may be the sort of thing you're looking for. Very playable, clean, simple rules.

I learned it just using card bases with no minis, and you only use 12 bases a side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're up for an older game find a copy of SPI's "Viking". There is also the somewhat more recent "Men at Arms" also by SPI. The latter can be found easily and is usually inexpensive.

If you're up for a block game try Columbia's Crusader Rex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Viking and all similar old SPI titles quite poor as games.

Cry Havoc on the other hand is a great system, if you are willing to go all the way down to single man counters. Harder to find, to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonC wrote:
Cry Havoc on the other hand is a great system, if you are willing to go all the way down to single man counters. Harder to find, to be sure.
I agree. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JE SUIS VENU. J'AI VU. JE SUIS PARTI.
msg tools
badge
Dude, if you don't like Au fil de l'épée or Men of Iron Series you may be a bit out of luck. Those are great systems, and are pretty easy once you get the hang of them. Any more simplicity, and you'd definitely lose something.

I'd suggest giving them another try, as I was searching for the same thing as you, and found both systems to be exactly what I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucasbrooks wrote:
Dude, if you don't like Au fil de l'épée or Men of Iron Series you may be a bit out of luck. Those are great systems, and are pretty easy once you get the hang of them. Any more simplicity, and you'd definitely lose something.

I'd suggest giving them another try, as I was searching for the same thing as you, and found both systems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Yeah, I think I will give MoI another run, but use the Infidel game instead. I have also purchased a couple of the 3W games by Markham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JE SUIS VENU. J'AI VU. JE SUIS PARTI.
msg tools
badge
atsgamer wrote:
lucasbrooks wrote:

Yeah, I think I will give MoI another run, but use the Infidel game instead. I have also purchased a couple of the 3W games by Markham.

The DRMs become second nature after awhile, and they represent the difference in arms, terrain, etc, so it creates some great options for different tactics. There are new rules posted on the GMT site that reflect the clarification made in the Infidel rulebook, and there are updated editions for both MoI and Infidel, so make sure to print those out as it will help you learn. Have fun!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Men of Iron to be incredibly boring: too simplistic, unbalanced, lopsided and quirky. Thanks to this thread I may track down a copy of Guelphs and Ghibellines, though. Looks beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.