Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Questions
1.: Okay, all this talk about how Green Eyed Boy and Cursed Classroom are terrible scenarios...are they playable the first time around or so obviously broken that most people will see it right away? I've played 3 scenarios now (1B, 2x, 3x) and found them fine.

2.: Death seems....really pointless. I kill an investigator and they just come back with full health (assuming objective not revealed of course). I get nothing for all my efforts. I just played a game with people and they were all afraid of dying and going insane (makes thematic, strategic and logical sense)...but they die and realize it's ITS PRETTY GOOD to get rid of all your traumas, and get new stuff.

Some people have even PURPOSELY killed themselves (via fire) to relocate themselves back to the entrance. I know certain scenarios (may) have win-lose conditions based on investigators dying, but this seems like really strange to me, am I doing something wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both are trying to do good things, but especially Green Eyed Boy might suffer from trying to be too ambitious with what it is trying to do.

That said, I actually don't mind Classroom Curses, in that it is a different scenario, so stands out. Most find it simply boring, certainly not arguing against that. I think both are fine for a play or two, but there are so many better scenarios now, thy really suffer. Green Eye Boy is probably really only good for a play, or two most, IMO. I wouldn't recommend either with new players, but they can be a different experience for this that have gone through the first 3.

Keep in mind that people dogging these scenarios and proposing fixes, have played these several times, and have exposed any flaws quite plainly. Give them a go, then move on to other scenarios, or revisit the first few of the base game.

Death Edit: Yeah, normally you don't want to kill people, for the reasons you lay out. Driving them insane is better, usually. Quite often you will want to whittle down health, to kill after objective reveal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
Two Questions
1.: Okay, all this talk about how Green Eyed Boy and Cursed Classroom are terrible scenarios...are they playable the first time around or so obviously broken that most people will see it right away? I've played 3 scenarios now (1B, 2x, 3x) and found them fine.

2.: Death seems....really pointless. I kill an investigator and they just come back with full health (assuming objective not revealed of course). I get nothing for all my efforts. I just played a game with people and they were all afraid of dying and going insane (makes thematic, strategic and logical sense)...but they die and realize it's ITS PRETTY GOOD to get rid of all your traumas, and get new stuff.

Some people have even PURPOSELY killed themselves (via fire) to relocate themselves back to the entrance. I know certain scenarios (may) have win-lose conditions based on investigators dying, but this seems like really strange to me, am I doing something wrong?

For Classroom Curses I would recommend don't play objective 1A
And include the extra keeper action card and prologue from
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92877/mansions-base-sc...
All it does is give an option to call up a weak monster. You may not need it but it might come in handy.

Playing Green-eyed boy is an 'experience' (some people love it) but it's not for me. I like my scenarios to have some kind of game balance.

On the subject of character suicide, as keeper don't focus all your combat attacks on one character - spread the pain. For sanity attacks do the opposite.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Botartt
msg tools
I simply play with not allowing players to come back; I always hated the ideas of competing to time a death. Plus, it makes the game much more dramatic if death is something to be feared. If the players use 2 characters each, death's no biggie. If there are not too many players for that, have an extra character controlled by the group who can move to one player if they die. One thing we occasionally do is allow 1 reinforcement; a character who enters the scenario after the others. Pre select his options, than roll a D6 when an event card flips. If you roll over the Event number, he enters at start. This doesn't work (thematically) with all scenarios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Investigator death can delay the investigators, which for SOME scenarios makes a difference. I have also been toying with the idea of making the survivors who witness the death make a heavily penalised Horror check. Seeing a friend torn apart would unsettle you a bit, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Nicolas
France
Brest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
Two Questions

I've always thought of MoM as more of a framework than a Euro game where you have to follow every single rule to the letter or the mechanics will no longer function.

Your players are trying to game the systems by purposely dying? New rule! You die, you're out the game (introduced at the start of the scenario, of course, not in the middle of the game). Feeling a bit weak? I will gladly add another zombie, maniac, or another monster to add tension to my game session. Feeling too strong? I will purposely hold back, once again to increase tension. As the game master, I don't play MoM to win or lose, but to weave a storyline that is compelling and exciting to my players and if that means breaking or changing a few rules beforehand or in the middle, then be it. At the end of the night, they will more likely remember the experience, rather than point out any minor discrepancies. It's my game, I bought it and I get to do whatever I want with it.

/y
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.