9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Fun and Quick rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris R

Florida
msg tools
With holidays coming up I need to put together a wish list. I am a fan of quick card/board games that a group can easily learn and get into. Current favorites are Red Dragon Inn and Race for the Galaxy.

I also have a collection of deck building games but sometimes set up is a bit much (I have too many expansions for Dominion...).

Ruse looks awesome but of course it isn't out yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance is a great little traitor/bluffing game. Easily one of my favorites (if not my favorite)

Hive is a cool two player abstract game that is surprisingly deep (although I only think it's fun if two people are equal skill level). It's easy to learn and incredibly convenient for lugging around

For Sale is a fantastic auction game. It's a bit overpriced for what it is (cards could use sleeves), but the game is a very interesting double auction with room for strategy

Sleuth is a great deduction game. This one really works your brain as there is so much information to try and process. It sort of falls short if there are too many players though since nobody can effectively keep everything straight. Really fun still

Tichu is also another stunning game. It is quick, but there is a bit of a learning curve. You need to play with at least one other person who knows what they're doing so you can teach others. Such a good game when you get past that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice - I've never introduced this to a group that didn't have fun with it.

Citadels is a classic, and can support up to 7 players. Two player didn't work well for my wife and me, but I know several people enjoy it two player.

Love Letter is easy to pick up, though it won't carry an entire game night. I have yet to have a group play this and not like it, too.

NOIR: Deductive Mystery Game is an easy to pick up and play deduction game, and the 3 - 4 player Spy Tag variant is insane fun. I've even played it with 5 players, and it works pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter and The Resistance were good recommendations, although our games of The Resistance last an hour and a half...

I'd also recommend:

Blood Bound - Hidden team/social deduction game for 6-12. You really want 7 or 8+ though. Great, quick game with good depth.

Boss Monster - Really solid filler that's somewhat straightforward but offers some interesting choices. Art is pretty good and it plays in 30 minutes.

Glory to Rome - You said you like Race for the Galaxy and this is somewhat similar. Tough game to learn but great depth and pretty quick.

King of Tokyo - Total fun, good theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Aronson
United States
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mascarade plays quick, has just a few cards and goes over well with gamers and non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Love Letter and The Resistance were good recommendations, although our games of The Resistance last an hour and a half...

In case you're complaining, The Resistance:Avalon should be quicker. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

I hope none of the players are in politics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
charlest wrote:

In case you're complaining, The Resistance:Avalon should be quicker. whistle

Actually we exclusively play Avalon and I'm not complaining. We've had 10 minute discussions about who to put on a team. Those hour and a half games are the best IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guildhall, Parade are two that could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.