Subject: Does White moon make base game ghost strories easier? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timo Järvinen
Finland
West-Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does White moon make base game ghost strories easier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timou77 wrote:
Does White moon make base game ghost strories easier?

Yes and no.
The moon gate makes it easier to kill groups of ghosts, but in hand also introduces mechanisms (villagers) that speed up the timer. Really what it does is changes how you play the game and gives value to character abilities that are "weak" in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I feel it does, on the whole, make it easier. By no means easy, but easier.

Su Ling is pretty powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
I changes the difficulty curve. Base game Ghost Stories has the difficulty gradually increasing throughout the game, so you will generally feel a constant rising pressure (maybe, if you get very good, with occasional slight dips after a great turn).

White Moon, on the other hand, has the difficulty slightly higher than the base game at the start, because so much can go wrong. Villagers are packed together, very vulnerable to haunters (and devourers), you need to move them to save them, but the moves you need for that are most likely not what you need to try and beat ghosts. Then a few villagers die and that dreaded downward spiral approaches fast.

However, after a while, you will find that White Moon starts to ease up a bit. You manage to fire off the barrier. You get a few artifacts that really help out. Villagers are more spread out, and thus can escape more easily. Thanks to the extra resources (artifacts, Su Ling, the moonstones), you will most likely find that the endgame is easier than you remember from basic Ghost Stories. Overall, the game is still about as hard as before, but the difficulty has been moved forward, requiring careful planning and/or a little luck at the start, but giving you more of a feeling of having built up significant power by the end, as opposed to feeling battered and bruised after a long uphill battle, and then still having to man up for the great big final battle.

I like both ways of playing the game. They offer a different challenge. But I would not advise to add White Moon to the game if you find the base game too hard, just to try and make it easier. All you'll do is break your head on an even more complex wall at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.