Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello Fellow Boardgamers,

I submitted Yedo for submission as a Trial event at the World Boardgaming Championships (WBC) in 2014.

The World Boardgaming Championships is run by the Boardgame Players Association and is the most well run organized play event on the planet.

The 2014 Annual convention is slated to take place in Lancaster Pennsylvania at the Lancaster Host Resort from:
Aug. 4–10, 2014.

Complete convention information is located here: www.boardgamers.org

What follows is detials and discussion of the potential Yedo tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yedo is up agianst 59 other possible Trail Events at WBC in 2014.

Here is a summary of Eligible Continuing Trials at WBC.

New events will be added to the Membership ballot during the annual December Boardgamers Players Assoication (BPA) membership drive and may be voted into Trial status by members casting their votes before 2014. The 25 with the most votes by Jan. 1 are eligible to be run at WBC 2014. Any vacancies in these 25 due to lack of a GM commitment will be filled by BPA based on other Alternate GM commitments on hand by March 15.

Here is the direct link to more information.

http://www.boardgamers.org/wbc/orphans.htm#trials
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
The time frame of voting for trial events takes place from December 1st to December 31st, 2013.

Only BPA (Boardgame Player Association) members are allowed to vote for trial events.

You can get a PBeM (Assoicate) Membership for $10 which is valid from when you sign on throught November 30th, 2014. This membership level allows you to particate in BPA play by e-mail tournaments throughtout 2014 and gives you -one- vote towards trial events.

Each BPA member can vote for ten trial events.

The largest number of votes towards a trial event is -three- and can be obtained through a BPA Tribune membership, which costs $100, and includes full admission to the WBC convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for putting yedo in the list!!! That s already a nice eeward.
Of course being top 25 would be even nicer! Having a yedo tournament at the other side of the world !
Thumbs up !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
BPA Membership registration and New Event Trial Voting is under way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tournament detials
Here are some of the tournament details.

Some discussion of this took place here under the Game Length: Play time topic located here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1065457/game-length-play...

My goal is too allow multiple opportunites for new players to play Yedo in a tournament format. As this is the first year a Yedo Tourament will take place at the World Boardgaming Championships, I want to expose Yedo to more attendees.

As a background, I have twenty years experience running boardgame tounaments and events.

For those that would like to see all the event and tournament options available at WBC complete information is avialbile here:
http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/SubmitEvent.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Tournament Event Class
The Tournament Event Class Choices are:

A. ADVANCED: Rules will not be explained. For experienced players only.

B. BEGINNERS WELCOME: Players must have read the rules, played previously, or participated in a demo. GM or an assistant must schedule at least one demo.

C. COACHED EVENT: The game will be taught to anyone present at the scheduled starting time. GM or an assistant MAY schedule one or more demo. NOTE: Coached events generally require more time and effort to run and can be upsetting to more experienced players who could be impatient with delays.

I chose event class B: BEGINNERS WELCOME for the 2014 Yedo Tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Yedo Event format
There are two rounds of play.

In Round One, there are three heats, scheduled at different times. This gives players three oppurtunities to play Yedo.

Advancement to Round Two, also known as the Final, is based on the following criteria:

1. Most Wins (e.g., total in all heats entered);
2. Win in first Heat entered;
3. Win in second Heat entered;
4. Win in third Heat entered;
5. GM specific tie-breaker, provided it has been clearly described in the Event Preview;
6. Average finish in all heats entered (e.g., a 2nd and two 3rds = 2.67 and beats two 2nds and two 4ths = 3); and
7. High dice roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received my copy from my GENEROUS Secret Santa.
Can't wait to play!

1. At WBC, are you aiming for 3 or 4 person games?
2. Will you typically have the SAMURAI CARDS removed?

Your recommendation had put it on my
wish list AND got my vote.
THANKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
capt yid wrote:
Just received my copy from my GENEROUS Secret Santa.
Can't wait to play!

1. At WBC, are you aiming for 3 or 4 person games?
2. Will you typically have the SAMURAI CARDS removed?

Your recommendation had put it on my
wish list AND got my vote.
THANKS!

Hey Gordan. Four player games are preferred and three player games will be allowed to round out the total number of players.

We wil be playing the Geisha version for round one. Round two, aka the Final, will be the Samurai Version.

I hope you are enjoying Yedo as much as I am!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Yedo Event Format: Tie Breaker
In the Yedo Tournament format At WBC The Game Master (GM) can determine a tie breaker for advancement if it is needed.

5. GM specific tie-breaker, provided it has been clearly described in the Event Preview;

This inspires a discussion of the tie breaker stated in The Yedo Game instructions which is as follows:

"in case of a tie, the tied player whose marker is further up the Player Track wins."

As a background, we have yet to experince a tie game, however we have seen final scores have where players are within wo to three points of each other.
In tournament play with lots of people playing, ties are likly to more frequently. With the possibility of the tie breaker determining whom may advance in the tournament, the method of determining who won the game becomes
very important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Yedo Tournament Tie Breaker
With my apoligies to Thomas and Wolf, I would have to say that I disagree with giving the win of a tied game to the person that is further up on the Player Order Track.

Here is my reason for this view.
The person further up on the Player Order Track has a greater advantage of choices and options then those players that go later in the round.
Thus it would generally be more difficult for someone going later in the round to score as many points as the person going eariler in the round.

Therefore, if using player order as tie breaker, it would be more appropriate to give a tie game to the person that is lower on the player order track, since it was harder for them to get the same number of points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that point of view. Now apology s needed .
Still the player order in the last round is just the order in the last round. During whole play you can be last and take the forst
Place in the last round.
So if you fear a tie, you have toinvest in being first player in the last round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I thought you might say that.
Which is why I think there may be a better tie breaker in a tournament format game.

I feel that in a tournamanent setting it would be preferable to select a tie breaker that is something you work for during the entire game, and not based on one single disciple placement on the last turn.
The total amount of Mon left over amoungst all tied players, would be a good alternative tiebreaker.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Wasp wrote:
No problem.

Thomas,
yes, we know you have no issues with adjusting the game rules for the enjoyment of the game. Or in this case to resolve ties in a tournament setting. Which is a very awesome approach to take, espiecally with your own creation. However, I was seeking your -personal- opinion. Do -you- like the idea of using Mon as a tie breaker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer the player order. Being last in the last round isn't just luck. You have to give a disciple up to become first player, while others can use that disciple to score more points.
Still if you prefer mon, it's no problem. There's also pro's and cons. For example it 's sometimes a lucky thing. If you preform a mission which give lots of money in the last turn, while the other one can't…
But both systems have pro's and cons.
I think in such matters the only important thing is that all players know what the tiebreaker will be before the game starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there is a bonus card which can give lots of points for Mon, someone who had that and was going for that strategy would automaticaly be far along for that tiebreaker with no further expense on their part. Given that, Spending the meeple(s) to ensure player order, and thus secure a tie, seems a more expensive, and thus more appropriate tie breaker, IMHO.

Although my opinion might change some if you adopted the max bonus cap for that Mon bonus card as approved in another thread here on BGG by Thomas. But I suspect that might be considered an 'unpublished' rule, and not played with.
Edit: I refer to this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1043587/overpowered-bonus-ca...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Levy
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Trial event list for WBC was just published yesterday.
Unfortunatly, Yedo did not make the top 25 votes.

There are still two possibe ways Yedo can get in as a tournament event at WBC.

1.If there are enough vacancies to fill from main century events that do not get a game master vounteer, alternative events will fill thier spot.

2.If there is a sponser for the game. A Sponsership has a $500 price tag attached to it.

Both of the alternatives have a deadline of February 28th.

I will be doing an offical demonstration of Yedo at WBC regardless.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.