Nikita Zverev
Russia
Novosibirsk
Novosibirskaya Oblast
flag msg tools
Hi everybody.
This is my first post on this forum (sorry for my bad English). I am a newbie Civilization player: got the game on my birthday and purchased both expansions not so long ago.

I have played 3 vanilla games and 2 F&F+W&W games. In vanila cultural players were too weak. With both expansions this situation has changed but the cultural victory path is still unclear for me.

I have already seen the awesome aggressive cultural victory by Thanee (Arabs) in PBF Game #88, so at least I have a clue how to achieve it. However, is it possible to get a cultural victory by playing defensively (and without Fundamentalism)? Can I outpace an economical player with it? If so, I have some questions:

1. When should I start devoting to arts?
2. Do I need more than one city as a cultural powerhouse?
3. Is urban development is more important in this case than rationalism?
4. How should I defend against enemy aggression?
5. Should I spend culture on "1 culture event card for 1 culture at SOT" social policy (don't remember its name)?
6. Should I wait for x4 investments in Endowment of Arts before devoting?

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
devote to the arts every turn with one city (after you found a second city)
use the great people that you will get from culture advancement, and defend with the culture cards you draw (although you will have to rely on luck a bit) you can also fortify if need be. don't make to many armies, just units, and don't neglect trade. you can usually get a surprise victory by saving up till you can advance several spaces in one turn if people are paying particularly close attention. cultural victories are quite common in games I've played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, in this game with expansions - I very much find that military is the threat to culture (it can be achieved very quickly and effectively, especially with great people, military-industrial complex and some of then new civs - not many of which are focused on coins), and all you need is to not be the weakest target.

Military combat normally has some risk to both sides - so players tend not to risk it unless they've good reason (or a significant advantage).

You have fewer 'required' techs than coin players, so you can often pick up the millitary techs you need to make yourself scary enough to not be the target, and then let the millitary players pick on the economic players.

The new ideas/governments in W&W make a good culture income much easier in the early game, and you can often grab a few coins/defect a few armies to slow down your opponents - whilst there's not much they can do to you. Getting two activations with your capital is essential, I'm afraid - as that means you can both develop, and keep the culture flowing.

In the middle game, I normally put some effort into my military (keeping up in the tech race), even when aiming for culture (academies are your friend as they also provide the trade you need for the later rush), but it's normally pretty minimal. Getting a great general or two, and sitting with a huge hand of culture cards means you can often scare players off onto one of my other opponents.

In the late game, the millitary players are often committed, and I normally find them more of a risk than economy. Often when pursuing culture, I have to devote some effort to 'prop up' a weaker player in the end-game - funnelling them beneficial culture cards.

It requires a bit of doing (and getting Leonidas is always nice), but it's not impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
Gehennas wrote:
Hi everybody.
This is my first post on this forum (sorry for my bad English). I am a newbie Civilization player: got the game on my birthday and purchased both expansions not so long ago.

I have played 3 vanilla games and 2 F&F+W&W games. In vanila cultural players were too weak. With both expansions this situation has changed but the cultural victory path is still unclear for me.

I have already seen the awesome aggressive cultural victory by Thanee (Arabs) in PBF Game #88, so at least I have a clue how to achieve it. However, is it possible to get a cultural victory by playing defensively (and without Fundamentalism)? Can I outpace an economical player with it? If so, I have some questions:

1. When should I start devoting to arts?
2. Do I need more than one city as a cultural powerhouse?
3. Is urban development is more important in this case than rationalism?
4. How should I defend against enemy aggression?
5. Should I spend culture on "1 culture event card for 1 culture at SOT" social policy (don't remember its name)?
6. Should I wait for x4 investments in Endowment of Arts before devoting?

Thank you in advance.

First of all, a Civ is always situational, so there isn't a magic solution ^^. It depends of the Civ you have, of your opponent of tiles and cards draws etc. ^^

Still, here are some answers :

1. Not at the start for sure. Get first a decent amount of culture like minimum 4 cultures per devoting.
2. In most cases, only one city will have decent devoting. Rest is all about getting incense. The best point is to have your capital devoting for something like 7 Cultures and a City with an Incense to spend it everyturn on Chivalry or Metalcasting (not on Currency...). If you have 2 cities with Incense, then it's perfect for 12 cultures every turn +x culture for capital (or another city) devoting.
3. Rationalism is awesome if you use it well to get the needed techs faster. Urban development is not important as it grants you only 2 cultures as in most case only one city is devoting. Just start with Pacifism, then Rationalism, then Organized Religion. Pacifism is free cutlures for 0 actions, good to move peacefully on the CT at the start, while you are building your Cultural machine.
4. Culture is very good to defend yourself. Just keep the good cards : Defection, Lost, Duty and honor, Roaming horde. Normaly with this you don't need to build a military power. Mysticism is clearly a good tech to give you +100% chance to get the good card.
5. Patronage. Clearly useless at start. The "best" is to start with Pacifism, then Rationalism (you need trade, 17 at least per turn to use it well -> Build your city at spot with a lot of trade and Incense, there are a lot of tiles with this combo, you don't need production.), then Organized Religion to draw 2 GP and keep one, clearly usefull. If you fell agressed you can draw some good Great General that will save you or make your opponent flee. Or you can draw some awesome GP for Cultural victory, like Andrew Carnegie (2 or 3 free steps on the Lvl 3 Culture is awesome). Don't forget you will certainly draw Colonists or Migrants, when you don't need Rationalism anymore, use this card to take Patronage. Patronage is useless at the start but when you are on the Lvl 2 culture and have Mysticism, this will give you more chance to get the right CC at the needed time.
6. Investment are clearly not needed but they can help you for sure. If you play Arabia, Investments are obvious because of the Pottery/Investment combo. But with other Civs, don't focus on it, just see it like a bonus if you can get some coin without sacrifices, you can even invest in Military if it's needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikita Zverev
Russia
Novosibirsk
Novosibirskaya Oblast
flag msg tools
Thank you for your replies! I hope I will be able to try cultural game again this weekend.

Quote:
First of all, a Civ is always situational, so there isn't a magic solution ^^

Yes, I undertand this. The problem is: I had no idea what to do in my cultural games. Thank you for the tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.