Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
*Lorenzo*
Italy
Cesena
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all guys, i am thinking about this game seriously.
i like sci-fi board games and i am planning to buy this one for its economic/trade mechanics and of course because it is a revised edition of the very good game by AH.
however i am little scared about the whole lenght of a game: 30 game turns could be too much for my usual playing group.
do you think it is possible to reduce the lenght of a game,for example: play 15 turns (or less, if i want a quicker game) in a game only) without change too much the "goal" of the game?
Thank you for your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Gufetto! Yes, the game could be quite long if you play all 30 turns. I have discovered that 24 turns is just right for me. Later turns (20-30) usually last longer because you have more stuff and more open locations, so you have much more options to chose from, more things to calculate while taking a decision. So cutting down on those last 6 turns really makes a difference length-wise.

15 turns IMHO is not enough. During the opening turns you mostly do exploring, then in later turns, as you get some technologies and cash, you discover some profitable trade routs and do some trading. If you play only 15 turns you don't get to do much real trading. Maybe 20 or 22 would be better for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would work, but it would not be the same game, as the trade routes slowly begin to develop from turn 15 on.

I mainly use MoV as a 2 player game with my wife, and we always play the extended game (30 turns + 5d6 turns) which lasts 3 hours or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's always the Light Speed Game variant on page 29 of the Standard Rules. And there's always the Classic, rather than the Standard game. We can get 4-Player Classic done in 3 hours as long as our slowest group member isn't playing. We can get 3-P Classic done in 2 hours 30. There's a fast play variant for Classic edition on page 21 of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escoffery
Switzerland
Geneva
Confignon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only time playing this game I felt like I was constantly wasting turns due to bad rolls travelling between planets that even at turn 30 I needed more turns to feel like I'd done anything.

I don't know the whole roll and move mechanic just kept this game from being fun. It's been sitting on my shelf ever since...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I am by no means an expert, but I think part of the skill with this game is learning how to adjust your paths to compensate for bad rolls, and to choose routes that mitigate good or bad rolls. That and getting drives and upgrading your pilot to speed up your ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dietmar Schmid
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Getting better drives/equipment is obligatory in this game. One fellow player had the same experience you described, but had never upgraded his ship to compensate.
Of course this can be considered a design flaw or outdated game mechanism, as nowadays are most mechanisms which ultimately just hinder you or make you lose a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Richter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falke359 wrote:

Getting better drives/equipment is obligatory in this game. One fellow player had the same experience you described, but had never upgraded his ship to compensate.
Of course this can be considered a design flaw or outdated game mechanism, as nowadays are most mechanisms which ultimately just hinder you or make you lose a turn.

Sure...but it's one of those "things" that really has always defined Merchant of Venus. Not to be all dramatic, but if you take that away, you're playing a significantly different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mr jon3s wrote:
Hi all guys, i am thinking about this game seriously.
i like sci-fi board games and i am planning to buy this one for its economic/trade mechanics and of course because it is a revised edition of the very good game by AH.
however i am little scared about the whole lenght of a game: 30 game turns could be too much for my usual playing group.
do you think it is possible to reduce the lenght of a game,for example: play 15 turns (or less, if i want a quicker game) in a game only) without change too much the "goal" of the game?
Thank you for your suggestions.

I know I am late to the party on this, but I can't imaging playing less than 30 turns (I play Standard); but that is why I tend to set aside at least 6 hours to play MoV. If I can't find a group willing to start just after lunch and finish just before dinner, then we play something else. I keep hearing about people getting through this in 2 hours, but I just can't fathom it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.