Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Hebert
Canada
Vercheres
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I'm looking for a game with which falls in the area movement category.

What I'm looking for is each side (2+ players) controls an army. The army should contain various type of troops. What I'm expecting in this game is the ability to customize the the troops via a tech tree. I like epic game and I don't mind playing the same game for 5 hours.

Sounds, like Eclipse would fit the bill? Well, not really. I own this game and what I don't like in this game is that 1) the army size is too small. I like massive battle with lot of troops and where you don't lose half of your army after one round of combat. 2) Techs comes out at random. I would like to be able to chose a tech every game if I want to. Not wiching it comes out of a tech bag the turn I am first player.

So please, give me some ideas!

Thanks,
Breach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC (but don't quote me because I haven't played it), StarCraft: The Board Game has a tech tree. I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
Breach wrote:
What I'm looking for is each side (2+ players) controls an army. The army should contain various type of troops. What I'm expecting in this game is the ability to customize the the troops via a tech tree. I like epic game and I don't mind playing the same game for 5 hours.

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame fits your criteria completely.
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game fits your criteria if you consider moving in a square grid to be 'area movement'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet allows you to specialize your troops with techs you can purchase. The "techs" are often creatures that are attached to your troops. You can also purchase other techs that improve the strength of ALL your troops, etc.

The only thing it doesn't have that you mention is HUGE armies. Each troop is limited to being 5 units big (plus a creature if you have one attached).

But there's a whole lot of great strategy in this game, both tactical and action/resource management. The tech-tree mechanics are a stroke of genius.

Check it out, it might be what you're looking for.

Also, don't let other tell you it doesn't play well with two. Every person I know that has tried it with two, says it's still very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
D-Rider wrote:
Breach wrote:

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game fits your criteria if you consider moving in a square grid to be 'area movement'.

Don't you only get three armies in that game? And there's only one type of troop (though you can customize it)?

Hmmmmm, toughie. Starcraft might work.

Lemme chew on this one a bit more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
Moe45673 wrote:
D-Rider wrote:
Breach wrote:

Don't you only get three armies in that game? And there's only one type of troop (though you can customize it)?

Hmmmmm, toughie. Starcraft might work.

Lemme chew on this one a bit more

You're probably referring to Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game. Each player is limited to 6 armies, represented by a plastic flag that moves on the board. Each army consists of 3 types of troops (4 types in the Modern Era). The troops are cardboard squares that rotate to indicate which Era they're from. Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game has no navies.

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame uses plastic figures for the troops, they move directly on the board, allowing as many armies as you have troops. There are 12 types of armies, 2 types of aircraft and 4 types of navies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
D-Rider wrote:

You're probably referring to Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game. Each player is limited to 6 armies, represented by a plastic flag that moves on the board. Each army consists of 3 types of troops (4 types in the Modern Era). The troops are cardboard squares that rotate to indicate which Era they're from. Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game has no navies.

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame uses plastic figures for the troops, they move directly on the board, allowing as many armies as you have troops. There are 12 types of armies, 2 types of aircraft and 4 types of navies.

D'oh. Never played the older one so dunno. Thanks for the update!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesjunkie wrote:
IIRC (but don't quote me because I haven't played it), StarCraft: The Board Game has a tech tree. I think.

Starcraft the video game is pretty awesome; are you completely opposed to playing video games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it'll cover all of your wants, but have you looked at Clash of Cultures at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hebert
Canada
Vercheres
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Last time I cheked Starcraft the board game was out of print. I might be able to find it in a trade at somepoint. Starcraft the video game, I like it a lot and I try to find a board game that would use the same kind of mechanisms.

Civ: A friend of mine has it. I never played. So I'll try to have a game with him.

Kemet looks cool. I need to do more research about what this game is all about.

Clash of culture looks cool but again it seems to me that players can't deploy many troops. Again I will do more research about this one.

Last week I bought dominant species. Not really the type of game I'm talking about in this thread but it looks so cool! can

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the update.

In Clash, there are 16 army units with a stacking limit of 4 per hex. All armies for one player are identical, though they can be upgraded through techs (but all your army units receive these upgrades), so players can have asymmetrical armies. However, the game is designed to have victory conditions be all more or less equal, so military specialization isn't too in depth.

Of course, the upcoming expansion will introduce Elephant and Cavalry units, so that will switch it up a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.