Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Being "eliminated" means you are no longer part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Niedzielski
Poland
Szczecin
Zachodniopomorskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium FAQ version 2.5 wrote:
Elimination A player who controls no planets and has no units on the board is eliminated from the game. He cannot play Action Cards or choose Strategy Cards. After a player has been eliminated, the other players continue the game normally, with no changes to the number of Strategy Cards taken, etc. When a player is eliminated, all his Action Cards are discarded and all of his race's Trade Agreements are removed from the game.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Twilight%20Imp... Page 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Niedzielski
Poland
Szczecin
Zachodniopomorskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if I understand correctly your last statement.
If you have nothing on board then you are eliminated and you are no longer part of the game - you cant win, even if you have most VP on the end of the game.
I had situation when some player had almost nothing and he give up the game. Didn't want to continue game with us. We just convert his planet on neutral and removed his units from the game. I hate this kind of situation because even if someone have no chanse of wining the game he still is a part of it and in many cases have some influence on game. Can block someone. On vote sometimes can change agenda result. One his GF will kill 3 GF landing party supported by general. Take Startegy Card important to someone. Many things can happend.
Thats why I like when all plays to the end.
Giving up can damage gameplay to others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:
No. Being "eliminated" means you are no longer part of the game.

Although the other players should feel fairly embarrassed if it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fahbs2000 wrote:
Yeah I read that but was wondering if they were just fixing the base game issue of a player with nothing on the board being forced to still participate and maybe they just assumed that a player in such a position would have no chance of winning.

No they are not implementing forced participation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Unless you're playing with a house rule, someone wins by reaching the VP threshold, not in a set number of rounds or something, and there's no post-game secret VPs. If a player hasn't reached that threshold before being eliminated there's no way they're going to gain more points after being eliminated since they wouldn't control their home system at goal evaluation time, and without a way to gain points, even if you leave their marker on the VP track, they're still stuck where they stopped. So someone else would have to win the game anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Unless you're playing with a house rule, someone wins by reaching the VP threshold, not in a set number of rounds or something, and there's no post-game secret VPs. If a player hasn't reached that threshold before being eliminated there's no way they're going to gain more points after being eliminated since they wouldn't control their home system at goal evaluation time, and without a way to gain points, even if you leave their marker on the VP track, they're still stuck where they stopped. So someone else would have to win the game anyway.

Not necessarily - there are ways the game can end before someone reaches the threshold (most notably, Imperium Rex). So the question does have merit - if the eliminated person had a lot of VPs before being eliminated, and the game ends before anyone else reaches that total.

However, since the eliminated person is, well, eliminated, they aren't part of the game anymore so their VPs are irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Not necessarily - there are ways the game can end before someone reaches the threshold (most notably, Imperium Rex). So the question does have merit - if the eliminated person had a lot of VPs before being eliminated, and the game ends before anyone else reaches that total.

However, since the eliminated person is, well, eliminated, they aren't part of the game anymore so their VPs are irrelevant.

I suppose that's true. I agree though that eliminated is eliminated and is a loss, so in any event it wouldn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel C.
United States
Deshler
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, if I could get the most points, I would count it as a moral victory even if I was eliminated. Of course, I also don't prefer Imperium Rex, so there is that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
mathmagician wrote:
Personally, if I could get the most points, I would count it as a moral victory even if I was eliminated. Of course, I also don't prefer Imperium Rex, so there is that.

We play with Bureaucracy and it's taken every turn since it's the way you get bonus chances for VP. My blind spot in the above discussion is that I can't imagine anyone choosing Imperium Rex if there were someone ahead of them. Still, it'd have to be a pretty hardcore corner case for it to matter because someone who's managed to get enough points to cement a lead like that would be very hard to actually eliminate while still ahead I'd think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
jsciv wrote:
We play with Bureaucracy and it's taken every turn since it's the way you get bonus chances for VP. My blind spot in the above discussion is that I can't imagine anyone choosing Imperium Rex if there were someone ahead of them.

It might simply be the last stage II PO left... or someone, facing elimination themselves, might take Imperium Rex to make a previously eliminated player the victor and spite whoever's crushing them.

(What one thinks of that sort of kingmaking is, of course, another question).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.