Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After seeing the disappointing firing arcs on the Sutherland I think I am more excited about the Flagship cards. I am only just now beginning to realize the crazy stuff you could do with them. Defiant +Independent Fed Flagship Card makes 4 attack, 4 hull and 5 shields with a free evade. With the tough little ship’s maneuver dial it’s a real bruiser. But wait, there’s more! Flagship also adds another tech and crew slot so I could get Captain Pike and two redshirts to effectively make 6 hull and 5 shields with a slot left over for scotty and two cloaking mines.

Granted, that’s half my points right there but the implications of being able to alter a ships base stats are incredible. Flagship Enterprise D becomes scary, with 6 hull and 5 shields, which could be bumped up with redshirts, and 2 agility using the Independent Dominion flagship card. Throw in your free target lock and a talent slot and suddenly Captains other than Picard could be used to turn the ED into a tough nut.

Reliant has great maneuverability and firing arcs but poor shields and hull. No longer! Federation flagship card gets us to 3 attack (5 at range 1), 4 hull and 4 shields with a free battle stations. Captain Khan with his two Elite Talents sends his regards.  

Ch’Tang is head of the fleet with the Independent Klingon card, now with 5 attack (reroll blanks if fired while cloaked), 2 agility and 4 hull. Scan token? Sure! The new gunner, Mr. Spock, will appreciate that.

I would say its unbalanced but the 10 points for the resource go down with the ship so I think that makes it reasonable.

What crazy builds can you think of thanks to our new toy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael parsons
msg tools
mb
As a fed player who likes to play faction pure I was extremely disappointed. There are three very good flagships, if you include the independents there are 7 extremely useful flagships and one,the Federation one, that is crapola. If my tournament OP doesn't allow the independent ones to be used in a faction pure fleet then the federation will be extremely disadvantaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gunkie42 wrote:
As a fed player who likes to play faction pure I was extremely disappointed. There are three very good flagships, if you include the independents there are 7 extremely useful flagships and one,the Federation one, that is crapola. If my tournament OP doesn't allow the independent ones to be used in a faction pure fleet then the federation will be extremely disadvantaged.

The Fededation flagship resource is very good. Read it again with an open mind. I plan on using it with a fed pure build in the first OP event I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Segard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the heck is wrong with the Federation flagship card?

+1 Attack, Hull, Shields: Solid. Everything here is useful.

When defending, all other friendly federation ships within range 1-2 of your Flagship may choose any number of defense dice and re-roll them once.: While not the best thing in the world with Federation's low agility values, it can still be quite useful if you have a cloaked Defiant or anything piloted by Sulu nearby. I'll take it.

+[Battle Stations]: Free Battlestations? Yes please.

+[Elite Talent] +[Crew]: Elite Talent and Crew in the faction with the best Elite Talents and Crew. What's not to like?

My only complaint is with the Romulan flagship card vs the Klingon one. The Romulan one isn't bad by itself, but the Klingon one is, IMHO, better in almost every way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bishop084 wrote:

My only complaint is with the Romulan flagship card vs the Klingon one. The Romulan one isn't bad by itself, but the Klingon one is, IMHO, better in almost every way.

In a 100pt game I think the Romulan is the worst because it begs for multiple strong attackers to take advantage of its reroll ability. In higher point games it could really shine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Gould
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think all the flagships give you *most* of what you want without giving all. (I would wonder why the Romulan flagship hands out Shields instead of Hull, when most Romulan tricks want you to be cloaked, but that seems to continue the tradition of giving all the cards that Romulans want to the Klingons. )

The bigger question I have is how these are costed. Getting three attribute bumps is normally six points, so for four points you get a special ability, an extra action (or bonus action), *and* a couple slots?

Outside of OP, I wonder how broken it is to start running multiples of the Resources...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Segard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacullu64 wrote:

In a 100pt game I think the Romulan is the worst because it begs for multiple strong attackers to take advantage of its reroll ability. In higher point games it could really shine.

Agreed, but that's only part of the problem I have. The Romulans get +Attack, Agility, and Shield while the Klingon swaps Shield for Hull. There is no time that Shield is better than Hull on a cloaked fleet. The Shield will eventually be useful when the ship decloaks after taking a pounding, but the +1 Hull would have been better in the first place.

Converting a blank into a hit vs rerolling is hard to quantify. Personally, I like the convert blank to hit because I get a lot of blanks and rerolls don't usually fix the problem, but I realize that the rerolls are potentially more powerful.

Free Cloak is far better than free Sensor Echo, at least with my playstyle. I tend to attack a lot, necessitating recloaking afterwards. A free cloak gives flexibility in actions.

And lastly, I feel that a tech upgrade is way better than an elite talent, at least for Romulans. They have some nice talents, but not the captain skills (or free actions) to use them effectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bishop084 wrote:

When defending, all other friendly federation ships within range 1-2 of your Flagship may choose any number of defense dice and re-roll them once.: While not the best thing in the world with Federation's low agility values, it can still be quite useful if you have a cloaked Defiant

This is exactly why the Federation flagship card is inferior to every other flagship. Sulu rarely needs rerolls any way, and the Cloaking Device is another 4 points for a terrible two-action-recloak.

Klingons get free blank-to hits that compliment their large numbers of attack dice and battlestation enhancer cards, but even without that you can set use the "set a die" after a reroll (like from target lock). will always be useful. Attack-Agility-Hull nd free cloak is the BEST combination of stats to keep a klingon ship alive as well. Compared to this, the Fed's synergy is the absolute worst.

Independent Flagship 4 is better for Feds in every way. Feds don't need hull as much as they need agility. An extra die is essentially the same as the 1 die reroll you get on most feds to begin with or better because you can convert more defense dice with battlestations. Flagship gets Attack-Agility-Shields to help avoid those crits. Free Battlestations? Check. Weapon instead of a Talent? Let's be honest, were you really going to run Kirk and 3 cheat death? Because apart from that 1 talent is usually more than enough. But an extra weapon can grant you an extra antimatter mines or let you pull some cross faction Energy Dissipator shenanigans.

Long story short, the Fed-specific flagship sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
Bishop084 wrote:

When defending, all other friendly federation ships within range 1-2 of your Flagship may choose any number of defense dice and re-roll them once.: While not the best thing in the world with Federation's low agility values, it can still be quite useful if you have a cloaked Defiant

This is exactly why the Federation flagship card is inferior to every other flagship. Sulu rarely needs rerolls any way, and the Cloaking Device is another 4 points for a terrible two-action-recloak.

Klingons get free blank-to hits that compliment their large numbers of attack dice and battlestation enhancer cards, but even without that you can set use the "set a die" after a reroll (like from target lock). will always be useful. Attack-Agility-Hull nd free cloak is the BEST combination of stats to keep a klingon ship alive as well. Compared to this, the Fed's synergy is the absolute worst.

Independent Flagship 4 is better for Feds in every way. Feds don't need hull as much as they need agility. An extra die is essentially the same as the 1 die reroll you get on most feds to begin with or better because you can convert more defense dice with battlestations. Flagship gets Attack-Agility-Shields to help avoid those crits. Free Battlestations? Check. Weapon instead of a Talent? Let's be honest, were you really going to run Kirk and 3 cheat death? Because apart from that 1 talent is usually more than enough. But an extra weapon can grant you an extra antimatter mines or let you pull some cross faction Energy Dissipator shenanigans.

Long story short, I think you probably need to play a few more games. If you really think Sulu rarely needs rerolls then either you haven't used him much or just got really lucky with your rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 attack and a free Battlestations every turn is huge. Combine this with the two Admiral's Orders, and you're well on your way to an extremely effective battle force - While it doesn't (appear) to affect the Enterprise D's special ability, you're still looking at a 5/1/7/6 with free Battle Stations and whatever else you want to add on. Put on Jean-Luc, Geordie, and Scotty, you're looking at a power 7-8 Attack that averages 75% hits against an opponent at -1 Defense that will also need to reroll one Defense die - and with the two-ship Admiral's Order, you're looking at another ship on top of that to provide whatever support you need (though a 4th Wing Battle Ship on top of the above build would just be wrong). A tight-flying Donatra or LE Martok would make it all the more ridiculous (add on Barrage of Fire, and, well, good night).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
Bishop084 wrote:

In 100 point games how many extra upgrades and/or ships are you going to get after spending 10 points on the flagship resource?

Have you ever tried hitting the defiant rolling 8 defense dice with battle stations and a reroll? That is an average of 6.875 evades.

The Klingon flagship is excellent. The Federation most definitely does not suck, it's very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tacullu64 wrote:
delta_angelfire wrote:
Bishop084 wrote:

In 100 point games how many extra upgrades and/or ships are you going to get after spending 10 points on the flagship resource?

Have you ever tried hitting the defiant rolling 8 defense dice with battle stations and a reroll? That is an average of 6.875 evades.

The Klingon flagship is excellent. The Federation most definitely does not suck, it's very good.

Exactly. "Does not suit my play style" does not = "suck." All of the flagships are very useful to be honest. But what I like about them even more is that they are pretty balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gunkie42 wrote:

Point him towards the FAQ thread I asked about what happens when you put a ship on an Independent flagship card for a different question.

The answer was that the ship becomes dual faction for example if you put the Enterprise-D on an Independent Flagship card then it still remains Federation faction but adds the Independent faction as well.

It then works in the same way that DS9 (Federation/Bajoran) does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're applying big beefy best case scenario logic with extremely rare best case scenarios. Sure if you look at the card in a vacuum it has uses, but you're not.

Tacullu64 wrote:

No I haven't, and any smart player wouldn't either. your scenario is unrealistic for the following reasons:

1) The defiant has to shoot sometime. After that, it's two actions to get cloak back up. The federation cannot do this without help from Martok (Picard can't do it, Command Tokens can't do it).

2) While it has those defenses for a single turn, I'm going to shoot at the flagship instead. I don't know if you noticed, but the flagship does not grant itself the reroll ability.

3) Yes, Sulu can get help from rerolls. Any ship can, it's a mathematical tautology. It's a matter if he -needs- them relative to all the other ships you'll have that he won't be on, or compared to the independent flagship I already listed. Again, you've made a defensive wall so great that the only thing you've done is make all your other ships (like your flagship) a more efficient target.

4) At some point in the game you'll either need to take a red maneuver, give your opponent free shots, or be forced into a bumping situation. All I have to do is lock on to you or just cloak and echo until that turn and unload on you.

Long story short, I think you probably need to play a few more games. Especially if you've been doing nothing but maximizing Sulu and Cloaking device as the be-all end-all ultimate defense at the expense of the rest of your fleet. Not my style doesn't mean suck, Klingons in general are not my style but they are brutally effective. The Federation flagship is absolutely a matter of mathematical and tactical inferiority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
You're applying big beefy best case scenario logic with extremely rare best case scenarios. Sure if you look at the card in a vacuum it has uses, but you're not.

Tacullu64 wrote:

No I haven't, and any smart player wouldn't either. your scenario is unrealistic for the following reasons:

1) The defiant has to shoot sometime. After that, it's two actions to get cloak back up. The federation cannot do this without help from Martok (Picard can't do it, Command Tokens can't do it).

2) While it has those defenses for a single turn, I'm going to shoot at the flagship instead. I don't know if you noticed, but the flagship does not grant itself the reroll ability.

3) Yes, Sulu can get help from rerolls. Any ship can, it's a mathematical tautology. It's a matter if he -needs- them relative to all the other ships you'll have that he won't be on, or compared to the independent flagship I already listed. Again, you've made a defensive wall so great that the only thing you've done is make all your other ships (like your flagship) a more efficient target.

4) At some point in the game you'll either need to take a red maneuver, give your opponent free shots, or be forced into a bumping situation. All I have to do is lock on to you or just cloak and echo until that turn and unload on you.

Long story short, I think you probably need to play a few more games. Especially if you've been doing nothing but maximizing Sulu and Cloaking device as the be-all end-all ultimate defense at the expense of the rest of your fleet. Not my style doesn't mean suck, Klingons in general are not my style but they are brutally effective. The Federation flagship is absolutely a matter of mathematical and tactical inferiority.

I suppose you could let the Defiant fly right by and drop it's AM mines on your cloaked ships. What makes you think I'm going to give you a good shot at my flagship with all your ships in one round? Too many people play the Federation like they are Klingons, that's a recipe for a loss if your going up against Klingons. You may get good shots on my flagship but I'm going to make you earn them. I'm not going to give them to you by flying right at your ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you guys say 'free' battlestations, does this mean that every turn the ship(s) get free battlestation tokens, or does it mean it's added on the ship's action bar? Free Battlestation tokens is nice. Added Battlestations action is a white elephant gift, because you still get only one action!

Yeah I feel like the Federation is getting screwed over again. Even the Dominion's "switch-blank-to-evade" feels better because at least you're assured an evade result if you miss. You could re-roll your blank dice only to get more blanks and battlestations that you can't use.

Here it seems like the problem B-Wings and Y-Wings have in X-Wing. You can have all the hull you want, but it doesn't matter under high-agility attacks. There at least the Y/B-Wings aren't likely to be destroyed in one turn without half the enemy team participating. With so many high attacks and low hull values here, one-shots are not uncommon. Especially in any match except Fed vs Fed.

What the Federation needs help with now is dealing with cloaking devices. The Klingons and Romulans have their cloaking devices to help, but the Dominion and Federation don't. The Dominion has some hefty attack powers to at least shoot through cloaking systems and do some damage, but the Federation have low attack powers without secondary weapons. So while the Feds are spending their actions on trying to make themselves viable shooters, everyone else is using their actions to make their primary attacks even deadlier- cutting through cloaking devices and burning down anyone who doesn't have them.

And so far there doesn't seem to be good viable ways of cutting through cloak for the Feds. Data and the Sutherland crews are great steps to helping the Feds here but they are premium event-prizes and not mass-market assistance.

So as long as everyone else has higher evade or hits harder, the Federation will always be lacking and they need all the help they can get. Their flagship card does not help in either attack power or deflecting more damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Per the resource card, if the flagship card grants you an action you already have in your action bar, you get that action as a free action every turn. This means that Federation flagships get battlestations every single turn they're not under aux power. I fail to see how this could possibly be interpreted as a bad thing.

I'm not totally thrilled about the text, but an extra Elite Talent option, free battlestations action every single turn, and +1 primary weapon, hull, and shields?

If that "sucks," I can only hope the Federation gets a lot more upgrades that "suck" this much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
When you guys say 'free' battlestations, does this mean that every turn the ship(s) get free battlestation tokens, or does it mean it's added on the ship's action bar? Free Battlestation tokens is nice. Added Battlestations action is a white elephant gift, because you still get only one action!

So as long as everyone else has higher evade or hits harder, the Federation will always be lacking and they need all the help they can get. Their flagship card does not help in either attack power or deflecting more damage.

It adds a battle station action to your ships action bar. If your ship already has that action on its action bar you may take it as a free action every round. So yes, free battle station for your Federation flagship every round.

It adds +1 firepower to your flagship so the Feds are getting an FP boost. It allows other fed ships within range 2 to reroll defense dice, so the Feds are getting a defense boost too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
Per the resource card, if the flagship card grants you an action you already have in your action bar, you get that action as a free action every turn. This means that Federation flagships get battlestations every single turn they're not under aux power. I fail to see how this could possibly be interpreted as a bad thing.

I'm not totally thrilled about the text, but an extra Elite Talent option, free battlestations action every single turn, and +1 primary weapon, hull, and shields?

If that "sucks," I can only hope the Federation gets a lot more upgrades that "suck" this much.

It sucks relative to all the other flagships which is really the only comparison that can be made. The Independent Flagship upgrades are better than the Federation-Specific Flagship, so there's no reason not to run one of those with your fleet instead. It's not that card that will give the federation the edge it needs to be more competitive with other factions since theirs are all better (except for possibly the Romulan).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the federation flag ship.

With 11 total health and a good 5 attack, with a free action battle stations, I can add in scan effects to punch holes in cloaked ships, or evade to make one of the tankiest ships in the game survive longer with it's high health. Finally, who says I have to fly it with a federation fleet, it only really has to be on a federation ship, but from there I can make these 2 klingon or romulan ships cloak that much harder. I'm sure I can find a creative use for each flag ship card, given time to experiment with them.

Actually looking forward to the Dominion Flag Ship the most, cause that 4th division battle cruiser with 14 health and a free action scan will hurt before I even talk about the 2 jem'haddar attack ships flying along side with a free action and options, while getting a defensive bonus. So then all I really need is to figure out where Sar and Gul Dukat go to be awesome, and then the rest should fall in place based on who my opponent is that I'm working against.

Victory is Life!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read it again, the federation specific flagship only affects federation ships with its special ability. If it didn't then it definitely would not suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this elsewhere, but I'll ask it here also.

Can you put a ship from different faction as the flagship? For example, Can I make the Enterprise-D as the Klingon flagship?

Edit: It says no on the small text of the flagship card posted here at 3:24:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh6VYaXHy58

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wasn't trying to start a flame war, was more interested in powerful uses for the new resource. On a side note I never run cloak on the defiant because more than half it's health is in its sheilds. I could use a flagship card with another tech slot to run cloak and advanced weapon system but with only 3 attack it's not worth it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, harder to run with ideas for cards I don't have a copy of yet.

So no I feel like clark terrell is a great option on the flag ship, and now he can have an elite talent, making it that much better, and if i troll with 2 or 3 miranda class ships next to my flag ship, 3 defense dice with a re-roll is pretty solid, 4 at ranged 3, and battle stations options. Then sulu and piccard can make great options in the 4 ship swarm, if I assume the enterprise-d is the flag ship for survivability. That should do some pretty good damage, especially if I can plan out each move well.

Though i like dominion so much more, and would love to have a wave of jem'haddar with that added survival rate, and just charge them. Really more excited about options with the 4th division battle cruiser.

Though now I'm disappointed, because the flag ships are now pushing that pure faction nonsense too, and that just feels wrong to lose options like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Gould
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
charles_skrobis wrote:

Though now I'm disappointed, because the flag ships are now pushing that pure faction nonsense too, and that just feels wrong to lose options like that.

Only half of them - you can use the Indie side and get most of the same benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.