Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked scenario 2 for a solo learning game, and the victory conditions are pretty straight forward: it's all about the province points. Alex needs to consolidate a power (make that recruitment) base in southern Italy, and Samnium looks to be in reaction mode.

So the first LAM out of the cup is Rome Consul. While it's tempting to head towards Samnium, the 4 province points for Sabinus also beckon. The downside is the 4 attrition rating and a medium city that would have to be taken, but the Tribal Revolt Table doesn't look too bad.

So is going for Sabinus a decent Roman strategy on turn 1 or an invitation to disaster? Thanks for any opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Riediger
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Alex crossing the Jaxartes... tricky endeavour.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, it has been some time since you asked this question... but yesterday I started this scenario as well, playing solitaire. For the Roman I would say that fighting the Samnians in their home province would be a costly thing and it wouldn't gain them many VPs - actually none.

Going for Sabinum is much more promising. 4 VPs is worth some effort, and the medium city in the mountains should be easy to defend once it has been taken. Roman incursion in Sabinum doesn't place the tribe in Alba Fucens, so it should be easy to take for a Roman CA even via Siege Assault. So, just based on this, Sabinum esse delendum. ;-)

Also, if the Roman is quick in gaining a foothold in Sabinum, the Samnian player might be tempted to go south rather than north. After all, players have to conquer provinces to win. So, wasting SPs in pvp battles would always strengthen the player who is not participating in the battle. I believe that players should use the occasional tribal armies they might be allowed to control in order to cause some trouble to other players, in particular the one who caused the revolt for that tribe.

Executive summary: Alba Fucens should be taken as early as possible. Most likely, the first who holds it will keep it, and it is worth a lot strategically.

Cheers, Olav
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply -- it's never too late. I need to get this to the table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Riediger
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Alex crossing the Jaxartes... tricky endeavour.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it a lot. I was sick last week and went through three out of the four scenarios solitaire. A very pleasant way of killing time. :-)
Next thing will be the Pyrrhus scenario for me.
Enjoy playing!

Cheers, Olav
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug1020 wrote:
Thanks for the reply -- it's never too late. I need to get this to the table again.

was that solo? i would be up to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.