Subject: Squad tactics query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of tactical games and I enjoy playing them but there is one thing that I still want to see in one of them. A simulation of military/police team leadership tactics. Most of them tend to be based on superhuman larger than life characters where any one of them can make a big difference so this may not always be relevant for any single tactical game.

In Level 7: OP it seems that there IS the game design "space" to implement a tiny bit of team leadership tactics. I mean what if players have a mechanic that allows them to communicate {or not} based on order from the team leader and if he is in a position to relay orders to his team members. This can also apply in reverse, meaning that a team leader cannot have a good tactical awareness if his team members cannot scout and relay tactical feedback to him.

So Level 7: OP is the first game where I firmly believe that there could actually be a gameplay mechanism to simulate this special team leader-team member interaction.

The game even has a rank hierarchy to its Commando team members as an official rule!!! It is only used to give a certain player control of who plays first and who goes later in the round but I believe that it CAN be extended and have more complexity {this is a good thing, for those who enjoy gamer's games}.

Instead of entertaining the idea all on my own, I'm going to utilize the collective experience of this forum to try to get some ideas on the table.

To get us started:

What if the team leader player CANNOT talk to his team members that are a certain distance from him so it isn't possible to him giving precise orders to them?
How about players not be able to talk to coordinate with each other unless there is a team leader-to-team members communication "line" established. How about having an "aura" of communication around the team leader or a area distance where any team member being away from its team leader cannot talk to the team?
Maybe a team member that is out of this "command & control" relay zone should have his turn order assigned randomly before the team leader assigns the turn order cards?

How about using the brilliant Adrenaline mechanic to introduce some new actions like "Report to team leader" or "Relay orders to team member" that influence what a player can say or do during his turn?

This mechanism of command & control may be even used effectively to trump the dreaded Alpha player syndrome that most co-op games suffer from.

Thoughts? Ideas? I'm all ears. meeple

P.S. Heck, they may even get some ideas to implement in an upcoming expansion from this thread! That would be awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They simulate this idea to a small degree already. The different abilities typically have a range, which would represent visual or sound distance (like the Team Leader's 'Situational Awareness' and 'Fire'). I suppose this could be taken even further, but I would be a little worried about complicating the game too much...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
They simulate this idea to a small degree already. The different abilities typically have a range, which would represent visual or sound distance (like the Team Leader's 'Situational Awareness' and 'Fire'). I suppose this could be taken even further, but I would be a little worried about complicating the game too much...

-shnar

I know. That's exactly why I chose this game to post my thoughts although I've tried almost every tactical miniatures game that I could get my hands on. This game has a simple but very effective foundation to support even further complexity. Note that complex rules is a completely different thing than complicated rules....

Why be worried? Haven't we seen enough light to medium 'weight' tactical games already? Why shouldn't we take it to the next level and have a more complex one for a change? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.