Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking of making a nostalgia purchase (Championship Manager 03/04) but unsure if I have the savvy to make it work on a modern computer.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be a comparability mode option when you are running older software. Though, XP isn't so long ago that 7 should have a problem, it might even notify you that it wants to use an older compatibility mode.

So, just try to install it like usual and see if 7 gives you a problem, very likely it won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
Thinking of making a nostalgia purchase (Championship Manager 03/04) but unsure if I have the savvy to make it work on a modern computer.

Any suggestions?

It appears to be an issue but there are plenty of suggestions out there for making it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XP could run a lot of old stuff, but Win7 seems to be a harsh cutoff. Virtual PC and XP Mode, along with some extra files, were needed for one of my old favorite software packages to just barely work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
I had 01/02 working on windows seven.

My suggestion is to find a torrent* of the game labelled updated- there's a large community of people who keep the players, formations etc relevant.

*Obviously just get the update files etc etc not endorsing crime or installation of a game more than 10 years out of date and no longer on sale...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With some trial and error, I could make a few old games run on Windows 7 using the compatibility toolkit (note that I used version 5.0, whereas now 5.6 is for download, so some things might be different).

Basically, this tool allows you to make Windows behave in a more Win95 / Win98 / WinXP / whatever way, e.g. allowing applications to do operations that they nowadays wouldn't be allowed to do (for security reasons).

It's been a while I used it. As far as I remember, you start up the "Compatibility Administrator" after installing the toolkit, create a new custom database, and create an "Application fix" in there. Then you follow the wizard. My memory gets a little foggy at this point, but basically you first try just to select the newest Windows version that the application ran on, and see if it works with that. If it doesn't, you can play with dozens of single options. You might find more specific instructions when searching for your game and compatibility toolkit together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note, for anything before Windows, there are excellent emulators (DosBox, PacifiST, Warajevo,...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windows 7 Pro has Windows Virtual PC built-in, which runs Windows XP (Pro, IIRC).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.