Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Desert Heat, scenario #11: El Guettar, Tunisia

I played this next, because it looked like a quick playing 8 turn scenario and it pitted Italians & Germans against Americans. Not too many games where you can run Italian M13/40s at American units. Pretty cool!

The Axis have one major goal, to exit six units off the east edge of the map, anything else is an American victory. It looks simple enough, but the three Axis Battle Groups setup in three different locations, this also makes the American spread out their defenses.

In the north the American were coving the German Armored Infantry with M10 tank destroyers so they dismounted but they were hit with 2 x ¾ HE artillery strikes and the northern attack stalled. In the south an Italian and German formation converged to try and brake through the American lines and things got interesting and the Americans shifted their northern formation to help their southern formation. The German Stuka/air-cover was pesky for a while but only two Italian M13/40 units slipped through the Americans steel curtain. The Italian Infantry got too tangle up into combat with American Infantry. The Germans PzIVGs got too close to American Lees and Stuart tanks with AT guns flanking them.

An American Victory! The Axis could not exit 6 units, which I thought for sure they would. The key to this for the Axis is try to avoid combat and exit units but I could not in my first try at this scenario, as in 8 turns, things have to happen pretty fast. Next time I will not dismount the German Infantry and see if that help or if their halftracks just get shot up too much. The two American formations are stretched out against the three Axis formations but the terrain assisted them. There are more strategies here than meets the eye. I’ll have to try this out again, as it was tense for both sides, making it a very good scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the playing and the AAR Jay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff Ralph!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.