Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

Working on such a large game as Epoch University is really pushing my organization to the limits. I currently just have a document with page breaks separating each section. What are some methods you use for organizing? A binder and separators? Folders? I'd love to know, I'm struggling right now.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have parts of my bedroom for storing board game WIP's. I have a place for the boards, and a place for the tokens and cards. And of course, they are also stored on my computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spreadsheets. I brainstorm on them. Jot rules, test random mechanics, calculate points, etc. Then I promote workable ideas to a main sheet. It does fairly well because of the combnation of calculation and 2d organization and easy ability to move stuff around and number items. It also has a nice stealth quality when an idea can't wait until I get home from work.

I've found a word processor too linear for my thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I usually buy a note pad and write down important changes, additions,etc. and then either wait and test to see if it's work putting on the computer or organize it more on paper.

On the computer I usually just use headings to organize each important mechanics/rules in the game and then work my way from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Depends a bit on whether you need collaboration.

I started with a google site which i abandoned.

Now its a physical notepad for ideas and playtest notes plus a folder with many collab files in Gdocs. Also some files on my hard drive eg rules doc, prototype files and images, excel spreadsheet of game card data that generates my prototype cards via powerpoint to PDF (its a long story) etc etc.

Don't know if i really should call that organisation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
For early development with no print and play version I'm using Google Docs. Word doc for outline, ideas, ToDos, and rules and they now have a Visio type app that allows you to create flow charts and map out ideas. I use both of these.

Then when you create a playable version just figure out your material. I'm using cardstock so far and its working great. I bought different colors to symbolize different items. My wife picked me up an 8x12 storage container from the craft store. I put everything in it and store chits in a separate small container meant for screws and small items. It all fits in the 8x12 perfectly.

I haven't completed a game yet but this is working great for me so far!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i use BGG, plus pdfs on either google docs or dropbox.

BGG gives me
-- geeklists
-- forums
-- photos
-- an online place to share, collaborate, and ramble on

pdfs online gives me
-- a historical record of how my ideas progressed
-- a way to share the work in progress

both of those are online ... so if I can access them on the internet, I can work on the ideas.

the pdfs have varied from various versions of microsoft software, mostly because that's what I have installed ... so, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiří Petruželka
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Same as others, I use spreadsheet for calculations, lists etc. Word processor for a rules draft, notes.

As for storing online I use Dropbox, just working inside its folder and everything gets uploaded on change/save/addition.
Thanks Jon Weber for suggesting possible issue

That said I keep more stuff in my head than I should, fortunately just working on only one game at the moment. Fast yet volatile and somewhat taxing storage method...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful with Dropbox and other sites like that. Their terms can at times be unfavorable toward intellectual property. Unless you plan to open source your ideas, if you store them on Dropbox it can be questionable as to whether they own it or you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kotzur-Yang
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Dropbox Terms and Conditions
"By using our Services you provide us with information, files, and folders that you submit to Dropbox (together, “your stuff”). You retain full ownership to your stuff. We don’t claim any ownership to any of it. These Terms do not grant us any rights to your stuff or intellectual property except for the limited rights that are needed to run the Services, as explained below."

It would be pretty ridiculous for a data company to claim ownership of your data. Facebook and Twitter may be another matter, but if you can find an example of these large corporations trashing their public image by stealing users idea for a commercial concept, I'd be very surprised. The fine print's generally just there so they can use stuff for advertising. Big Brother may be watching you, but everyone's also watching Big Brother. Don't let the paranoia get to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.