Popular Tags: [View All]
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Should I want to pass on the upcoming transport and cruiser models, and instead print out cardboard templates at a scale more 'true' to the 'ground-scale', I've really no idea what size to print them given that I've no idea what the game's rough 'ground scale' is supposed to be.

I know this is science fiction, that there's therefore no real data to base any of this on, and that the designers probably didn't give a monkey's about scaling when they devised the various moves, but I'll ask regardless: anyone have a good suggestion for the game's 'ground scale'? Something like 1:1000?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers!
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus H.
msg tools
The scale is 1:270

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Markus, but 1:270 is the scale of the fighter models. I'm pretty certain the game designers did not envisage that as the game's 'ground scale', or else the max 'real life' range of Star Wars fighter lasers would be about 80 metres (30 cm x 270 = 8100). In other words, as in most tabletop wargaming, the x-wing models are not supposed to be 1:1 scale with the space on which they manoeuvre and fight.

I envisage the 'true' size of the fighters, relative to 'ground scale', to be much nearer the size of the white silhouettes on the models' bases.

Again, what do we think - something like 1:1000?

Perhaps nearer 1:2000 (at which scale a 12.5m X-wing would measure 6.25mm?)

Has anything been suggested on other threads or by FFG?

Cheers,
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The "X-wing" series of novels mentions at one point that for space-superiority combat, an X-wing's cannons are usually calibrated to intersect at 1km. Matching that to the 30cm range ruler gives a ground scale of 3:10,000. (At that scale an X-wing would be about 3.75mm long.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hismhs wrote:
Thanks Markus, but 1:270 is the scale of the fighter models.

Yeah - folks who don't know much about miniature wargaming probably don't really grok the distinction between model scale and ground scale.

Regardless, I don't think FFG really thought this out or planned it in any way, going with a "ground scale" that worked well visually with their models, but if you have to nail it down, I think Robert M.'s answer is as close as you're likely to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Wittwer
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't even go there. In the computer games, it took several minutes to fly towards a target a couple of kilometers away, while in the first film, they cross half a solar system in te same time span (flying from Yavin 4 to the Death Star). There's nothing scientific about ranges, speed or flight mechanics in Star Wars, so a discussion about ground-scale/map-scale is doomed to fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vorpal Sword wrote:
The "X-wing" series of novels mentions at one point that for space-superiority combat, an X-wing's cannons are usually calibrated to intersect at 1km. Matching that to the 30cm range ruler gives a ground scale of 3:10,000. (At that scale an X-wing would be about 3.75mm long.)

I'd be inclined to treat the "zeroed" range of the guns as the 10 cm intersect point between Range 1 and 2. In real-world air-combat, if the target is inside the 0, you do less damage - a lot of the bullets go around the target rather than into it. Since Range 1 is the ideal point to attack, it's also where the guns would be zeroed to. (In WW2, guns started out zeroed around 500 yards, but air forces quickly learnt that was too far to really see the target. By 1945 the RAF was zeroing its guns at less than 200 yards.)

That gives a ground scale of 1:10,000.

Somewhere on this board (I think, it might be on AFM) there's also a discussion of ground scale that made some assumptions about how long a turn is, decided it should take (IIRC) 2 turns for an X-Wing to fly the length of a Star Destroyer, and concluded from that that 32 cm (8 movement units x 4 cm) represented 1,600 m. It's probably in the thread about the capital ships...

But the truth is, there's no actual ground scale. There's also no actual time scale. Neither of these things have been defined, so you'd do just as well to assume the capital ships are the correct ground scale (they're not quite the same scale, I suspect, but they're probably close) and then make assumptions about either speed or time to calculate the other. The shooting ranges will get quite short, but one can justify that as being due to the very short timeframes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, in the books, weapons become effective, but not great, at 2km, which is around when secondary weapons get fired too-- so call that range three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Yeah, in the books, weapons become effective, but not great, at 2km, which is around when secondary weapons get fired too-- so call that range three.

You're suggesting that the range ruler represents 2 km? That means a ratio of 0.3 : 2,000 m, for a ground scale of 1:6666.6r. Defensible logic, but an awkward number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.