Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Good book Bill. I'm about 100 pages from finishing The Forgotten Soldier by Sajer.

It fits really well with my present game on the table, Ukraine '44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good book Iain. I like UK44 to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
It's really picked up about 2/3rds of the way into the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.lulu.com/shop/john-curry-and-bruce-quarrie/bruce-...

The reprint. Enjoying it. Nostalgia goggles are on maximum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
A Hastings double feature. Read The Longest Day when I was a teenager many years ago so time to revisit the subject.

Might have mentioned this one in one of the earlier bookshelf threads. I started this and had to put it down to read something else. Just started back on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Bully!

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Maybe not technically military history, but after playing Navajo Wars it was time to pull this off the shelf and get it read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had time to read a lot lately, but I've decided to sit down with this;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
COIN Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonRMax wrote:

Maybe not technically military history, but after playing Navajo Wars it was time to pull this off the shelf and get it red.

I got it too for the same reason, and it's in the on deck circle, with like six other books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Wawrosch
United States
Brimfield Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the first book on the Korean War that I'm reading. While traveling in China I had the opportunity to visit a military museum in the Dan Dong area that was built to commemorate the conflict. This sparked my interest to learn more about it. The museum exhibits were highly politicized and once back in the States I happened upon Max Hastings' book by chance.

So far it is an honest assessment of both sides, with a dispassionate view showing the mistakes made by both sides and no political axes to grind. It is a great introduction to this period of 20th Century military history. I highly recommend it to any one that wishes to learn more about the Korean War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb

and

After picking up Bomber Command in the recent GMT sale.

Edit: I think we need a "Max Hastings fan" microbadge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Evan Brooks
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Currently slogging my way through

As much as I enjoyed the author's With Our Backs to the Wall, the opposite is true herein. The writing may best be described as turgid.

So, as a relief, I read:

As a former SJA, how could I ignore a book with a subtitle of JAG in Space. However, at least in the first volume, the protagonist is not a JAG; he is appointed as a legal officer as an additional duty. The author, an Annapolis ringknocker, writes competently, albeit not overly engaging. Any military officer would feel familiar with the gestalt of the novel.

Since there are additional books in the series, I might just follow up to see how it develops. As an aside, I would like to offer a view of the staff judge advocate and his role in the system.

Being commissioned as a Reserve infantry officer in 1973, I began application for a branch shift to the Judge Advocate. In 1975, I attended the two week Annual Training with the New York National Guard. One of the enlisted barracks was plagued with a thief. The SJA (Staff Judge Advocate) took the following action -- he recommended that the suspect be placed on guard duty in the barracks for a day. When the rest of the unit returned, several items were missing. The unit commander did a "random" inspection of the suspect's locker and discovered several of the missing items,

The suspect was now brought before the SJA (who invited me along for the experience). He told the private that there was nothing worse than a barracks room thief and that he had the following options -- either plead guilty before a federal magistrate or else he would be returned to the company after being identified as the thief. The soldier quickly decided to plead guilty in lieu of becoming the guest of honor at numerous blanket parties.

I asked the SJA about the propriety of his actions, having pointed out that the search was not truly random and could be thrown out. He replied that that may have been an affirmative defense, but the soldier did not know that. His conclusive statement: "He was a barracks room thief. Fuck him!"

I later transferred to the Judge Advocate Corps and served in such capacity for six years before returning to my initial infantry branch for another seventeen years. To this day, I have some problems with the SJA's conduct (he was an O6 and I was an O1); it was the "easy" way out, but it subverted the system. I could understand such conduct from the command structure (line), but not from an "officer of the court".

Reading this book brought back those types of memories ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
COIN Grognard
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:

It's a decent read on a relatively obscure topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am not usually much of a military history reader, my reading is mainly concerned with buildings these days (and rule books), but I have just bought Battle Cry Of Freedom after The Guns of Gettysburg piqued my interest.

I also recently got A History Of Bombing by Sven Lindqvist after previously enjoying (wrong word) Exterminate All The Brutes which was concerned with Europeans exterminating those they considered deserving of such a thing.

I don't know if these are military history or not. I apologise if this is the wrong place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished Ernie O'Malley's account of his involvement in the Irish War of Independence, On Another Man's Wound.

As an organizer and trainer sent out by GHQ in Dublin, and later commander of the Second Southern Division, he gives a good feel for the development, life and campaigning of the Republican forces.

Next up, the newly published: The Black and Tans in North Tipperary - Policing, Revolution and War 1913-1922 by Sean Hogan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Poles fought in all European theatres, some of them in more than one, but their own interests were not served by it. After using the country as an excuse to declare war on Hitler, and dragging France in as a result, the British government goes back to the 1925 statement that Danzig isn't worth the bones of a British grenadier. An accessible academic title. The author got her PhD from the wargaming King's College, London.

A young officer indicates that the British army is too small for ten-year wars. Senior officers are preserved in larger numbers than required perhaps because the politicians are scared of sacking a good one, when they don't know the difference.
Maybe the second time I have posted this!

A three-dimensional book. I haven't got into this yet but its big. Don't drop it on any large beetles. And its Christmas so I thought mentioning here might help the balance of payments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Daniels
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished this (got it as a free Kindle DL a few weeks ago) and found it very enjoyable.

Working on this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently read Outnumbered: Incredible Stories of History's Most Surprising Battlefield Upsets by Cormac O'Brien.

I had picked it up for $3 at some second hand bookshop. Book was OK, not great. Nice pictures and maps, a quick and easy read. But probably not worth the $3 I spent on it.

Covered:
Salamis
Issus (Alexander vs Persia)
Cannae
Alesia
Tricamarum (Byzantines vs Vandals)
Agincourt
Narva
Leuthen
Auerstadt
Chancellorsville
Rorke's Drift
Tannenberg
Singapore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Air Battle Central Europe by Alfred Price

First published in 1986 during the Cold War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
High Krausen wrote:
I just finished this (got it as a free Kindle DL a few weeks ago) and found it very enjoyable.

Working on this

Wow, I'm not sure which is more controversial, the idea of the Sherman tank as a thunderbolt, or Patton as a genius.

If you're interested in the Shermans and looking for a contrarian view Jim, look for book called "Deathtraps" written by a gentleman that used to go out to Sherman wrecks, review their condition and then report as to whether they could be salvaged. It's an interesting look into the nuts and bolts of war, and the author -does not- respect Patton and his influence on tanks design/strategy.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sager
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished reading A History of The Weimar Republic by Erich Eych. What a sad and depressing book. Guess it proves the old adage that in a representative government, the voters get what they deserve. It also illustrates a clear reason why Germany needed to be utterly destroyed in WW II.
On a lighter note, I just completed Andrew Roberts "Napoleon and Wellington". http://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-Wellington-Battle-Waterloo---...
What a delightful book! I could do worse than to quote a review on amazon:
Although this book is subtitled "The Battle of Waterloo and the Great Commanders Who Fought It," it isn't really a straightforward military history. It is instead a rather original hybrid of biography, political and military history, and for lack of a better word, gossip. Roberts focuses on the parallels in the careers of Napoleon and Wellington; there are remarkable similarities and differences. At the center of the narrative is the fact that Napoleon and Wellington, as the foremost military personalities of their time, were placed in a position of natural rivalry. Each was in many respects the standard against which the other was measured. Roberts, in an engaging style, brings out the perceptions (and misperceptions) each had of the other, and how these perceptions changed over time, especially after the Battle of Waterloo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sager
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:
Good book Bill. I'm about 100 pages from finishing The Forgotten Soldier by Sajer.

It fits really well with my present game on the table, Ukraine '44.

Did you enjoy the part where he descibes the USAAF bombing Berlin in the summer of 1943? shake
Great history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pfaff
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just Started

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.