Subject: Does it compare at all to Mecanisburgo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Davis
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
At one time I considered Mecanisburgo http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38980/mecanisburgo but was scared off by its average art and its busy looking design. Seeing Infamy makes me think maybe inspired by the idea of Mecanisburgo but tuned up and made much prettier. Do these games compare at all anyone? I've played neither.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Be Excellent To Each Other
mbmbmbmbmb
is it weird that i checked ur profile and thought it was weird that this is like your 2nd ever post in 10 years as a member on this site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the designer, I can tell you that I never heard of this game until I literally just clicked the link you provided; so, to answer your question, no, Infamy is in no way inspired by the aforementioned game. If you check out my designer diary (here on bgg), I admit that I was playing a lot of Cyclades at the time, which inspired me to take an auction direction.

From the description of the game, it sounds nothing like Infamy: fixed turns, area control, etc. Other than the games being Sci-Fi (with Infamy strongly in the more specific Cyberpunk genre), they don't seem to share much at all. I guess there are multiple paths to victory, and some elements of factions, but these concepts seem to be pretty different in execution--from what I gathered by perusing the page and a few forums therein.

There are a few vids up, including an awesome Dice Tower review from Dan King that went up last week, if you want more insight into how Infamy works. This might give you a better bead on the differences between the two.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim maher
Ireland
Dublin 16
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played Mecanisburgo and read the rules for Infamy my first reaction was that it certainly looked similar in style to Mecanisburgo. This is no bad thing in my view as once you get past the Art and the myriad of different icons in Mecanisburgo you get a game that is dripping in theme and is as much an experience as anything else. Hopefully Infamy will provide a similar experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
As the designer, I can tell you that I never heard of this game until I literally just clicked the link you provided; so, to answer your question, no, Infamy is in no way inspired by the aforementioned game. If you check out my designer diary (here on bgg), I admit that I was playing a lot of Cyclades at the time, which inspired me to take an auction direction.

Funny.
The Bidding is so very good. However Cyclades was ruined by player order being the most prominent part very much. This game is soo(!) much better than Cyclades - a game I really did /not/ like (its strange brother, Kemet, is a much better, though different game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.