Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Emil
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play games with other people, but usually it is in groups of 6 - 10. We are looking at playing some games with just the two of us, using the games I already own.

So, which of the games below do you recommend for 2 players?

Bohnanza
Elder Sign
Citadels
Tsuro
Scotland Yard
Catacombs
Betrayal at Hosue on the Hill

Ya, I know some of these games aren't 2 Players, but I figured I would list them anyway in case they still work with 2.

Also, is there any two players games that you suggest, which would also be good for 6-8 players?

See, 90% of the time, we have 6+ people over, so all my games are for larger groups. Yes, I know we can split up, but we usually don't want to. If it plays only 4, it rarely sees the table.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza is great with the 2-player variant in the rule book. This is a favorite 2-player game for my husband and I. But we have loved the game with every player count 2-7, and it is fun that the rules change slightly for each player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is extremely difficult to find a great 6-8 player game that you can say the same about it as a 2 player game.

Having said that I can think of 2 off hand that would say come close.
1) 7 Wonders Is decent with 2 players, while I am not a huge fan of using "Dummy Player" rules they actually work decently here.
2) Cult of the new alert Caverna: The Cave Farmers, it can run on the long side with 7 players though.

Edit To throw in some games that fit your criteria but I wouldn't suggest at those player count extremes are as follows.
Arkham Horror.
Eldritch Horror.
DreadBall Ultimate but it can get pricey as a hybrid miniatures game.
Dominion Goes to 6 if you own Dominion: Intrigue also.
Formula D definitely better with more players.
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game Caps at 6 players though.
Magic: The Gathering Great 2 players and Commander goes up to 6 or 7.
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set I think the game is very weak with 6 players and best with 2-4 but some disagree with me.
Race for the Galaxy an absolutely fantastic game with 2 players that can handle up to 6 (possibly 7 with the 3rd expansion? I forget now).
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) a masochists dream realized with 6 players... but ya it is possible.
Zombicide some scenarios go up to 6 players.

That should get you started....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Emil
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya Michael, I figured it was a long shot. My hope is to play a couple of the games I already own, for a few months, to see if playing just us 2 takes off. Then, I would buy a 2 Player specific game like Lost Cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels and Scotland Yard would be my vote for two player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones you listed, Elder Sign is one of my favorites to play with my girlfriend.

Of titles you didn't list, a suggestion might be Rise of Augustus or Dominare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emilbrett wrote:
Ya Michael, I figured it was a long shot. My hope is to play a couple of the games I already own, for a few months, to see if playing just us 2 takes off. Then, I would buy a 2 Player specific game like Lost Cities.

Check out my edit, otherwise I think Tsuro and Elder Signs are good choices from the ones you already own (I personally prefer Tsuro of the Seas for its slightly more chaotic feel).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
emilbrett wrote:
So, which of the games below do you recommend for 2 players?

None. They might be playable with 2, but I certainly wouldn't recommend them, even given the special circumstances of your situation.

Quote:
Also, is there any two players games that you suggest, which would also be good for 6-8 players?

No. It is extremely difficult to create a game which scales over that large a range of player numbers; and while occasionally a designer might deliver something that works, quality is invariably compromised to such an extent that it's just masochism to play said game at one or the other end of the player number scale. And if you now say that quality isn't that big a thing then you having started this thread is in direct conflict with that sentiment meeple. Truly, you want some quality in the games you play: it will keep people involved and interested.

Quote:
See, 90% of the time, we have 6+ people over, so all my games are for larger groups. Yes, I know we can split up, but we usually don't want to. If it plays only 4, it rarely sees the table.

Unfortunately, you may want to; and introduce some 'synchronisation points' during which you play games which are good and fun with a large number of people.

Rather than clinging to a large group you don't want to split up, it truly is far easier and in the long term much more fun for everyone if you introduce good 4-5 player games: there is much more variety to be found in this range, and the number that scales down to 2 is larger too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Emil
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will start with Elder Signs and Scotland Yard and see how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.