Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my attempt at an Ice Destruction deck back before it was a thing (Creation and Control). I heard that it's a concept that's coming back around, but haven't really read any theorycrafting about it, so I'm going into this blind.

So, I dusted it off, threw in a copy of Gorman Drip because hey, another virus, what's not to like? Honestly I didn't really see a lot of other things I'd want to change.

The idea is to basically install viruses and force the corp to defend Archives--I'm not going for old-school deep digs into R&D, that ship has sailed--which puts them in a double bind because anything rezzed to defend is worm food. I mostly use mill as a way to trash cards cheaply--run R&D, see what's there, then if I don't want the corp to have it, install something. Paying 1-2 credits to trash an Eve Campaign is a game that's worth the candle.

Ideally, the corp is going to be rezzing ice, I'll be trashing it, and the server defense will get more and more worm-eaten.

Possible Changes:

I'm on the fence with the breaker suite--I may cut the traditional Anarch breakers and put in some Rooks. The corp may not rez ice at all if they feel that they'll have to pay extra *and* not even get their money's worth out of it. Something I read somewhere: Ice is more and more cost effective the more times the runner has to run through and break it. So, I don't plan to play that game.

Also might cut Crypsis in favor of Darwin and Surge. I've seen Surge do some frightening things, so there's that.

Identity:
Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire (Core)

Total Cards: (45)
Event (12)
Diesel (Core #34) x2 ■■
Stimhack (Core #4) x1
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
Deja Vu (Core #2) x3
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control #52) x3

Hardware (7)
Grimoire (Core #6) x2
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead #9) x2
Clone Chip (Creation and Control #38) x3 ■■

Program (20)
Datasucker (Core #8) x3
Crypsis (Core #51) x3
Imp (What Lies Ahead #3) x2
Medium (Core #10) x1
Mimic (Core #11) x1
Corroder (Core #7) x1
Parasite (Core #12) x3
Djinn (Core #9) x2
Sahasrara (Creation and Control #47) x2 ■■
Gorman Drip v1 (Opening Moves #5) x1 ■
Yog.0 (Core #14) x1

Resource (6)
Daily Casts (Creation and Control #53) x3
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow #91) x3

Influence Values Totals -
Criminal: 1
Shaper: 14
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 breakers looks like too much. I like the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This archetype can be effective with practically no breakers --- at least that's my experience running it with Kate. I placed 3rd in a tournament with a deck very similar to one that made it to top 32 at worlds (the list is posted on here somewhere). The deck only runs one Crypsis and one Femme, for use in emergencies and other edge cases. Other than that you do nothing but kill ICE.

Rook and the other Caissa programs have an anti-synergy with this deck type, in my opinion. Since they'll be trashed along with the ICE you kill with Parasite --- and you've already got all your recursion dedicated to bringing back Parasites.

I also don't like Imp, Darwin, Medium, Nerve Agent, and etc. in this deck, because the more programs out with virus counters, the more incentive there is for the Corp to purge. And, as the performance of other versions of this archetype attest, you can do without them.

While my only experience with this archetype is with Kate, I think the archetype may be better if you play Anarch and import what you need from Shaper. I've got a Whizzard list on the shelf that I can't wait to try. That list includes 2x Clone Chip and 2x Self-Modifying Code, as I like to have a well-rounded set of options to install Parasite, Femme, or Deus X mid-run.

With Kate, you only have enough influence for one Surge and two Grimoires. In Anarch I'd definitely play 3x of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do the swap of the standard breakers for 3x Surge, that sounds like fun. I strongly dislike Crypsis, but in a deck full of parasites and datasuckers it helps offset his inefficiencies. Unfortunately I only have 2 Core Sets; I haven't bit the bullet to spend the money to get 11 cards, some of which I won't even use--so, 2x Grimoire is what it is.

The point about other viruses is well taken--as far as the lessons learned from other archetypes, I haven't reviewed or played those lists; I'm coming into this from a cold start. I want to keep some synergy with Noise, as I've found his ability still isn't bad even though the salad days of PW+Stimhack glory runs are pretty much done.

1. Run R&D (see Eve Campaign)
2. Install!Mill
3. Run R&D (see Hedge Fund)
4. Install!Mill

The best trash cost is zero, dontcha know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Arnold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mwanafalsafa wrote:
This archetype can be effective with practically no breakers --- at least that's my experience running it with Kate. I placed 3rd in a tournament with a deck very similar to one that made it to top 32 at worlds (the list is posted on here somewhere). The deck only runs one Crypsis and one Femme, for use in emergencies and other edge cases. Other than that you do nothing but kill ICE.

Rook and the other Caissa programs have an anti-synergy with this deck type, in my opinion. Since they'll be trashed along with the ICE you kill with Parasite --- and you've already got all your recursion dedicated to bringing back Parasites.

I also don't like Imp, Darwin, Medium, Nerve Agent, and etc. in this deck, because the more programs out with virus counters, the more incentive there is for the Corp to purge. And, as the performance of other versions of this archetype attest, you can do without them.

While my only experience with this archetype is with Kate, I think the archetype may be better if you play Anarch and import what you need from Shaper. I've got a Whizzard list on the shelf that I can't wait to try. That list includes 2x Clone Chip and 2x Self-Modifying Code, as I like to have a well-rounded set of options to install Parasite, Femme, or Deus X mid-run.

With Kate, you only have enough influence for one Surge and two Grimoires. In Anarch I'd definitely play 3x of each.

I agree that this deck is stronger without breakers and in Kate. It's hard to understate what she brings to the build, beyond just the shaper tutor suite. Flashing out a parasite on your opponents turn using SMC or clone chip to get the Kate discount, a Grimoire virus token, and a parasite virus token at the top of your turn is a pretty amazing feeling, and tough to play around as corp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the Spanish list, but I dunno. I like old school Noise virus-spam too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we're dealing with two distinct archetypes here...

1) a permutation of the standard "Noise + Viruses" archetype that adds tools to recur Parasites and kill ICE in a supportive role. Obviously, the archetype requires Noise.

2) an "ICE destruction" archetype that's primary weapon is recurring Parasites to kill ICE. This archetype can work well with Kate, Whizzard, or Noise. Kate's ability synergizes best, giving you frequent discounts on Parasite installs. Whizzard and Noise's abilities are bonuses. You might choose between them based on your local meta or personal taste.

Whether you go Shaper or Anarch, influence is extremely tight. Anarch gives you more sheer virus power (Grimoire, Surge, Deja Vu, etc.). Shaper gives you more flexibility and tricks (Clone Chip, SMC, Levy AR, Test Run + Scavenge, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.