Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the X-terrain add-ons for SMG. However; they can be a little fiddly when it comes to assembling them. The Merville Gun Battery's Casemate #1 is one piece that was a challenge to assemble in a manner that would take use and not fall apart in your hands.

The biggest problem is that it uses 2 bases. While the jigsaw puzzle cut of the 2 pieces allows them to fit together nicely, it doesn't prevent them from coming apart when lifted up...even with the addition of the two connectors and the central box connector. What follows is my solution to stabilize MGBC1.

After I punched out and sorted the pieces, I wipe them off with a micro fibre cloth. You can use a paper cloth or some other material, but there's a lot of dust to remove.

I then gather the equipment/supplies needed for my custom assembly.

Your supply inventory may vary from mine...but a sharp cutting tool and some white glue are essential items. The needle nose pliers are used to gently compress the tabs so they'll more easily fit into their corresponding slots.

I cut 4 reinforcing strips from the leftover cardboard stock that held the pieces. These strips are glued onto the bottom of the bases. I also applied glue to the abutting edges of the two bases.

Note that I placed some waxed paper under the assembly to prevent scratching and to prevent any sticking due to glue leaking.
It's best to apply even pressure to assure a good contact, so I placed a 5 pound paver atop the assembly and left it there for an hour or so. You might not have pavers handy, so a few heavy books would work just as well.

After the glue has dried I removed the paver and added the two connector pieces as well as the connecting box. These were also glued into place for added strength.

Now I was ready to add the case mates outer shell. Again, I used the white glue along the edges and the paver to apply pressure, ensuring a good contact and tight fit.

The extra paver was placed to prevent one of the side walls from splaying out.
Here's the finished Casemate. Solid as a rock and able to withstand years of gaming...hope you enjoyed this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job Jim, love the supplies needed laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Great job Jim, love the supplies needed laugh

Thanks Greg...and as I said...yours may vary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Dickens II
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the guide. I built the main casement tonight and wish I had remembered the needle nose pliers. Some of my tabs look a little ragged after trying to connect pieces. It sure looks good though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.